Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
S7 and haven't upgraded because it hasn't felt like anything significant has been added since. I am contemplating the Ultra 2 but I am not sure if I want the extra heft.....or more importantly if I will find enough difference from my S7 (besides battery life and extra nits as they don't mean anything to me). I want to justify getting it.....but it may simply be a tech boredom purchase.
I can appreciate that. I had an S4 until Sept 23 when I bought the Ultra 2. I always felt there was nothing worth upgrading for and a new "S" watch wouldn't feel any different (I was mostly right...)

The Ultra 2 was so different, so much faster, with an insanely better battery life; it felt like a huge upgrade.

The big honky-ness took a bit of getting used to, but I still find it comfortable and sleep with it most nights. The combination of the size and height of the watch combined with just wanting more titanium to match the 15 pro max, I got a used S7 Titanium Edition watch that has been replaced under AC+ to a perfect condition, brand-new watch.

So, now I love BOTH the S7 and the Ultra 2. The Titanium S7 looks so unique and cool, but feels very similar/familiar to my S4. It also feels like I am wearing nothing at all compared to the Ultra 2.

I do however find myself wearing the Ultra 2 more than the S7. Mainly cause I don't need to take it off to charge for days at a time. I also love the 1-touch flashlight action button at night to move about the house and not wake anyone else up.

I think having both watches keeps the other fresh. Alternating makes me appreciate each watch for what makes it special.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m really stretching my Series 5 out until September, the battery is in the last 10% before bed on a daily basis now, it doesn’t make it to midnight. I’ve certainly got my monies worth out of it though and it’s been pretty reliable for exercise tracking etc.

The first thing I will do when I get the Series 10 is disable the always on display. Not making the same mistake of ruining my battery in the first year next time around.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I’m really stretching my Series 5 out until September, the battery is in the last 10% before bed on a daily basis now, it doesn’t make it to midnight. I’ve certainly got my monies worth out of it though and it’s been pretty reliable for exercise tracking etc.

The first thing I will do when I get the Series 10 is disable the always on display. Not making the same mistake of ruining my battery in the first year next time around.
I’ve had my series 8 since launch, and it still has 100% battery health.

I’ve never disabled always on display, as that would make the watch pretty useless in my view.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve had my series 8 since launch, and it still has 100% battery health.

I’ve never disabled always on display, as that would make the watch pretty useless in my view.

I have no idea how some watches suffered from poor batteries because of AOD and other didn’t to be honest.

Luckily it doesn’t make my watch useless disabling it in my case as raise to wake is still enabled. If I’m not looking at it, I don’t need the screen on.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I have an S7 and will replace it when it breaks beyond economical repair with whatever I can find on the local used market.

Apple has introduced zero new capabilities that interest me since 5GHz connectivity with the S6.

• Angry
Reactions: waltman

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2016
I’m on a SS S8, which has sentimental value for me.

I don’t consider the S9 to be a worthy upgrade, so I’m staying with my S8.

I wouldn’t let my S8 go, because of the aforementioned sentimental value, but I may upgrade to the S10, if it’s a new design.

How about you?
Have the Series 6 44MM stainless steel and battery life is 96% and every time I go to BestBuy to either purchase the Ultra 2 or series 9... I talk to my self and say ..not worth it....there just isn't any WOW factor for me to purchase any of the two. My Series 6 is just fine.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Just got a S9 midnight cellular new for $600, retail = $859
So will be sticking with it for awhile. Sold my ultra 1 for $600.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
So you prefer the form factor of the regular Apple Watch?

I personally have never been attracted to the Ultra, but each to their own.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
So you prefer the form factor of the regular Apple Watch?

I personally have never been attracted to the Ultra, but each to their own.
If you are asking me, I preferred to save $800AUD seeing as they do the same thing. Except extra battery.
$1399 AUD for an ultra is way too much imo. Both have for and against though.
The S9 is much smoother and better for streaming radio walking my dog than my Ultra 1 was, I actually sold it last year so havn't had a watch for 3 months. It's nice having a lighter watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukms

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t personally like the aesthetics of the Ultra as I find it’s too casual/sporty in appearance. The classic designed Apple Watch is more universal and essentially does the same thing really, unless you’re regularly out in nature needing the extra battery or often finding yourself needing to know how long you’ve been below the surface in the sea. It’s also far too big for my wrist and looks awful on me, but that’s more of a personal preference. I am a runner so I’d imagine it wouldn’t be the best for that sort of exercise when it’s moving around on the wrist.

I’ll be in the market for the aluminium Series 10 I think. I bought an aluminium Series 5 Nike back in 2019 and it’s been fairly reliable and durable to be fair. I’m not one of these people who is obsessed about scratches so it’s all good.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
S7 that replaced a broken s4. There really is zero features on the s9 that makes me want to upgrade, and If I needed the stamina etc of the ultra, a Garmin would offer better value and performance

cormo`

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2013
Munich
Just received my new AWU2 last week. Before i had a Series 4 since release and felt fine with it. Batterie got down in the end but no issues otherwise and pretty fine with an exchange after almost 6 years

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Was wearing a series 6 AW until I sold it a couple of days ago. Now I am trying to decided between a Graphite SS series 9 w/out blood oxygen sensor or a series 9 aluminum w/ blood oxygen sensor....

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Just got an Ultra 2 for Christmas to replace my Series 6 stainless steel. I did get the battery replaced for $99 in the SS watch to “renew” it and use it for more dressed up occasions and for sleep tracking (since it’s lighter). But I love this Ultra a lot more than I thought I would.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Anybody else hope they bring back the space grey aluminium Apple Watch this year?

That midnight colour which looks more dark blue than grey is a bit odd to me. I compared my S5 space grey with a colleagues Midnight S8 and mine is definitely a nicer colour.
yup, though I do have an Ultra 2, space grey for aluminum and space black for SS SHOULD return ... and I'd like to see a SB Ultra as well ...

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Anybody else hope they bring back the space grey aluminium Apple Watch this year?

That midnight colour which looks more dark blue than grey is a bit odd to me. I compared my S5 space grey with a colleagues Midnight S8 and mine is definitely a nicer colour.

Yes. Or black. Silver/black/grey should always be options IMO. Not just on aluminium but on all of them.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Just got my first Apple Watch last week. A brand new SS Series 7 that was on clearance from a reseller for $200CDN. I use an iPhone 7 so I needed a watch with Watch OS 8 and the price was too good to pass up.

So far I'm loving the watch and will get Applecare+. I want to keep this one for a very long time.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

pr1nce

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
I just upgraded from my  Watch Series 5 to a 45mm Midnight aluminum Series 9. I’m good for a few years.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
S7 and I’ll upgrade when there is something that gets my interest. I think the average lifespan is four to five years.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I am wearing a Series 5 SS 40mm (Space black, the best color of all time), but I bought a Series 9 45mm cellular midnight aluminum. It's going to be delivered today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.