Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
SS S7 - love this thing. Was my first SS watch, as I felt the tech had matured enough that I could get keep it for a few years and not feel behind. Still no desire yet to upgrade to the S9. If S10/"SX" comes with a new redesign, who knows. But still very happy with the S7!

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Bought an S4 on launch day thinking I’d be upgrading in a year…

Five years later bought the Ultra 2 alongside an iPhone 15 PM and got obsessed with the natural titanium.

Got a deal on a used S7 Apple Watch Edition titanium 45mm. Found out it had AC+ until July 2025 and got a replacement. So a perfect case and battery with 18 months of repair/replacement was a huge score.

Between brand new U2 and S7 titanium, not planning on replacing either for a long time. Certainly not before AC+ expires in 25. (May extend on both, we will see)

I may add to the collection with an Hermes edition or if Apple brings Ceramic back for the 10/X. There is gonna have to be something special to come out in 24 or 25 for me to buy another Apple Watch.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I still have a Series 3 and going strong haha. I only use it for time, notifications, weather, and alarms/timers. I can’t really think of a compelling reason to upgrade unless it stops working. Battery life is fine (on original battery), and I’m not aware of any other features I really want. There are some “would be good I suppose” features like faster on-device Siri, double tap, and health stuff—but I’m fine without them for now. Design is fine too, although I’m not a big fan of wearing watches, so if Apple made a smart band I’d be inclined to switch to that.

Emergency SOS and crash detection might be a reason to upgrade.

Reactions: Evvie and Donfor39

Bones13

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
U1 here, and its going strong. I will consider an S10 watch of some sort if they continue to improve the screen, and in particular I want to see the how the "on chip" voice processing goes on the U2. I need to see if there has been a decent review. I think being able to do most apple watch tasks with voice could be just a bit better/quicker/etc, and I think is going to be the best way to use the watch day to day.

Just as the iPad has replaced a bunch of my computer time, The apple watch is replacing a lot of the iPhone usage for me.

All it needs is a camera and software and we can catch up to Dick Tracy. Macs, iPads and iPhones have already caught up with the Jetsons.

Reactions: ukms

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I have an S4 stainless steel. I haven't seen anything that has made me feel compelled to upgrade since I bought this one. I want an Ultra, but my next watch will likely be another SS... the durability of it is incredible.
I also have an SS S4 and with the battery issues and constant restarts I’ll probably get an Ultra with the next iteration or whenever they have a dark option.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I’m currently using the S7 in SBTi, bought it on October 2021. I don’t see a need to change to the S9 because the design is all too similar. I’m looking forward to the S10 and hopefully it comes in a new design with new sensors - if so I’ll upgrade to it.

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Question, I have a S4 LTE Aluminum with 89% battery health. Recently it will lock up and the touch does not work on the screen. You have to force reboot it To get it working, and then happens again. I Factory reset it and it fixed it for about 2 weeks, then happened again. I’m fed up. I’ve had it 4 years now.

should I get a used SS8, preferable Graphite….
or a used S7 titanium?

reason I ask, I picked up a used SS8 for my MIL in 41mm recently for $260 off eBay and I really like the value in that over a new aluminum one. Granted I got a steal on it. But I can wait and watch for a good deal on one.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Question, I have a S4 LTE Aluminum with 89% battery health. Recently it will lock up and the touch does not work on the screen. You have to force reboot it To get it working, and then happens again. I Factory reset it and it fixed it for about 2 weeks, then happened again. I’m fed up. I’ve had it 4 years now.

or a used S7 titanium?

reason I ask, I picked up a used SS8 for my MIL in 41mm recently for $260 off eBay and I really like the value in that over a new aluminum one. Granted I got a steal on it. But I can wait and watch for a good deal on one.
In the scenario you describe I would get the finish you prefer and hunt down a good eBay deal. The SS and titanium models depreciate a LOT so good deals can be had 1 or 2 versions behind, sometimes even the current versions, Ive also seen some steals for people selling Ultra 1

Reactions: Christopher Kim

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012

or a used S7 titanium?

I had the same S4 with muuuch worse battery life until September when I got the Ultra 2 with my new phone.

As much as I like the Ultra, it was a bit big and clunky with a suit/dress shirt even with nice leather bands so I decided to look for a used titanium S7 to add to my collection.

I got a good deal on an S7 titanium on eBay, and won the lotto with that watch having AC+ until July 2025(2 months prior to my Ultra 2).

I’ve already replaced it so have a brand new Titanium S7 with 100% battery health. I LOVE how this thing looks and it matches the 15 pro titanium phones perfectly.

However, I am insanely careful but the titanium on the watch scratches if you look at it wrong. I have not used a case on my phone since launch day and have no scratches on the metal at all. The watch is not as durable as the phone(titanium wise).

So, I’d say get the material you prefer.
I love the titanium and the S7 is big upgrade from the S4. Also having the Ultra 2, I don’t think you would notice much difference from an S7 and S8, so pick the material you really want for a good deal.

1706480086585.jpeg

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
U2 and a 44mm SE 2022.

Had the SE first but decided to take advantage of Apple’s extended returns policy over the Christmas period in case I didn’t like it, turns out I liked it. Can’t see myself upgrading the U2 for a good while, the only thing that would tempt me is if on a hypothetical device, it was thinner but kept or improved on the current battery life.

Oh, maybe a black version, but then I have the natural titanium 15PM, so the colours kinda match.

Thought about selling the SE but I won’t get much trade in, Apple are offering £100 and it’s a nicer watch to sleep track with, I did think of trying to sell this and get a 40mm to make sleep tracking even better, but some of the older ones I’ve seen either have woeful battery health, or people are still wanting near £100 for it.

But then also I’d need to get extra bands whereas the ones I have are interchangeable, plus I finally found a decent knockoff braided solo loop, both ordered the same size but one is clearly smaller than the other, yet that works in my favour as the smaller of the two fits the U2 and the other is perfect for the SE.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have an aluminum S9 and SS S7. I have a lot of bands that I have bought over the years. With the rumored redesign of the S10 and the bands no longer being compatible, I may hold on to the S9 for a bit. The S7 I typically reserve for more dressed up occasions or when I go into work.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I am wearing an aluminium Series 5 which will be 5 years old this year. My plan is to upgrade this year to a Series 10 or maybe a 9 if the 10 ends up being disappointing. I am at the point now where the battery is rather depleted and had to disable the AOD after the first year of wearing it due to a serious drain in battery health. It has been ok since but more than ready for an upgrade.

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I had the same S4 with muuuch worse battery life until September when I got the Ultra 2 with my new phone.

As much as I like the Ultra, it was a bit big and clunky with a suit/dress shirt even with nice leather bands so I decided to look for a used titanium S7 to add to my collection.

I got a good deal on an S7 titanium on eBay, and won the lotto with that watch having AC+ until July 2025(2 months prior to my Ultra 2).

I’ve already replaced it so have a brand new Titanium S7 with 100% battery health. I LOVE how this thing looks and it matches the 15 pro titanium phones perfectly.

However, I am insanely careful but the titanium on the watch scratches if you look at it wrong. I have not used a case on my phone since launch day and have no scratches on the metal at all. The watch is not as durable as the phone(titanium wise).

So, I’d say get the material you prefer.
I love the titanium and the S7 is big upgrade from the S4. Also having the Ultra 2, I don’t think you would notice much difference from an S7 and S8, so pick the material you really want for a good deal.

View attachment 2342315
Watch looks great! I have a titanium pro max 15, but in the dark blue color, but I wear a case…. Anyhow, found a s7 graphite stainless on eBay for like 225 with 96% battery. Maybe I’ll get lucky with AppleCare plus. But if not, should be good for years and 99 bucks gets a new battery which is really a refurb watch I’ve heard! It comes tomorrow. Eager to give it a run.

There were not many titanium’s used on eBay, and some were scratched pretty good. Also SS can be polished if you scratch it up, so feel good about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: adam1080

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
In the scenario you describe I would get the finish you prefer and hunt down a good eBay deal. The SS and titanium models depreciate a LOT so good deals can be had 1 or 2 versions behind, sometimes even the current versions, Ive also seen some steals for people selling Ultra 1
Thanks! Got the Ss7 graphite. I think the ultra would be cool but harder to get deals. A buddy offered me his Ultra for 300 when he got the U2. In hindsight, should have taken it! That was over the summer when my watch was not acting up!

Vader2

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
Ultra 1 I bought at launch. I love it. I will probably upgrade to Ultra 3 or 4 depending on if there is a new sensor. I would really like blood pressure or non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. Either of those would get me to upgrade

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
S7 and haven't upgraded because it hasn't felt like anything significant has been added since. I am contemplating the Ultra 2 but I am not sure if I want the extra heft.....or more importantly if I will find enough difference from my S7 (besides battery life and extra nits as they don't mean anything to me). I want to justify getting it.....but it may simply be a tech boredom purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.