Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (1989)

1574341718512.png

Reactions: Apple fanboy

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Excellent choice.

Am I irredeemably biased, or are my ears simply impossibly well tuned to the sounds of certain eras, or does the music of the 80s and 90s (and, indeed 60s and 70s) just sound (and age) so much better than what is available now?
We are biased but I think it is hard to deny that a lot of music from those periods has aged much better than will the "product" put out by current "stars" such as Kanye, Drake etc. This comment may be attacked by younger posters but my only response would be that I feel lucky and privileged to have been a teenager in the 70's when there was so much good music released (some terrible stuff too) and bands played real instruments, singers were not auto tuned and getting together with mates to listen to a band's new release was an event.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We are biased but I think it is hard to deny that a lot of music from those periods has aged much better than will the "product" put out by current "stars" such as Kanye, Drake etc. This comment may be attacked by younger posters but my only response would be that I feel lucky and privileged to have been a teenager in the 70's when there was so much good music released (some terrible stuff too) and bands played real instruments, singers were not auto tuned and getting together with mates to listen to a band's new release was an event.

I agree with you (completely).

Personally, I love the much of the music of the Renaissance, and adore Baroque and much classical music, along with trad, folk and some jazz.

But I will say that as someone who was also a teenager for some of the 1970s, the music of that era resonates with me (yes, agreed, some of it was atrocious, but some was astonishingly good and has aged exceedingly well) - and that of the 60s, 80s and 90s - in a way that little from more recent eras do.

In those days, music mattered; it mattered as an expression of art, and creativity, and it seemed to matter as an issue of identity, as well.

Most of my peers at school (and a surprising number at university) - both male and female - played at least one musical instrument (and some of them played very well, whereas others merely plucked, strummed, or struck), such as - mots usually - guitar, or piano, but also including flute, violin, cello, drums, and, in one instance, the sax.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Ceelo Green- "Forget" You
Cool melody and lyrics. Happy weekend folks.
PS>>This is a "PG" version of the song.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Gorgeous sleeve art; is the music as good as the sleeve would suggest?

Just now, I am listening to a few tracks by the always wonderful Pink Martini; and am currently playing U Plavu Zoru.

Still with the wonderful Pink Martini.

And am enjoying tracks such as Ninna Nanna, City of Night!, Ohayoo Ohio, Amado Mio, Sympathique, Que Sera Sera, Andalusia, Song of the Black Lizard, Let's Never Stop Falling In Love, U Plavu Zoru, Una Notta A Napoli, and a number of others.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
And am enjoying tracks such as Ninna Nanna, City of Night!, Ohayoo Ohio, Amado Mio, Sympathique, Que Sera Sera, Andalusia, Song of the Black Lizard, Let's Never Stop Falling In Love, U Plavu Zoru, Una Notta A Napoli, and a number of others.

Love that album - great version of Bolero too, and "Hang on Little Tomato" is also a nice Pink Martini album

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Love that album - great version of Bolero too, and "Hang on Little Tomato" is also a nice Pink Martini album

This playlist is a mix from four separate Pink Martini albums (Sympathique, and Hang On Little Tomato - both superlative albums - as well as Hey Eugene! and Splendour In The Grass).

Haven't listened to their music in a long time - actually, today, is the first time I am enjoying - and relaxing to - some seriously good easy - yet sophisticated - 'cool' music for what seems an absolute age.

But, I must say that I really love this group.

Reactions: mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.