Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Alright, allow me to go full-on music theory/jargony nerd here for a sec.

As an experiment, I threw the recording into Audacity and transposed it up one semitone (half-step) just to see how it sounded. I realized that, at least to my ear, it actually transposed up almost an entire whole step. The original is in the key of F, and the supposedly "semitone"-transposed version is actually more in the key of G than it is in F sharp. Now I should mention that, to my ear, it sounded more like a semitone and a half - so somewhere in between F sharp and G. Anyway, this leads me to believe that the original recording is actually about 50 or 60 cents sharp... which actually isn't uncommon for records like this. So, using this logic, the original is somewhere between F and F sharp, but to me, it sounds like it's in F. But this is one of those times where I'm not fully trusting my ear. I guess the test to see if this is actually true would be to go on a (in-tune) piano or some MIDI patch or something and play along with it. I'll have to try that!

EDIT: I should mention that transposing it up 0.5 semitones in Audacity produces a result that sounds a LOT more like F sharp to me. Again, "1 semitone" sounds like F sharp plus a little bit (or G and a little bit flat) - somewhere in between.

EDIT #2: I don't believe this is a bug or fault with Audacity. Again, it's common for recordings like this to have this quality.

You might dig reading this thread about pitch problems on releases:

And, back to jazz, Kind of Blue is a notorious example of decades-long unfixed pitch:

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Beyonce country album “cowboy Carter” Judy cropped and im on my 2nd listen.

I’m in love with this album.

Attachments

• IMG_1155.png
    IMG_1155.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: pachyderm

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Saw them in Boston on that tour ... for me that was really the end of The Who - I know they just keep going, but I'll always look at that farewell tour as their actual conclusion.
Never had the chance to see them (before my time), but I absolutely love that song.

Reactions: txa1265

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
In case anyone's interested, here's the score for this (see the very bottom of the post with the PDF attachment). I just found it on the web, so I take absolutely no credit for writing it. There's a bit of discrepancy, but ultimately, it gets really close (mainly the first 2 measures with the triplets are wrong, at least compared to the recording I'm using). I don't have the score for the second half, unfortunately. I'll go and find that, too.

I suppose I could transcribe this exact recording, but that'll have to be a project for later, I'm already caught up in two other transcriptions!

EDIT: Realized the Spotify link in the original post is absolutely useless to some people, I apologize! Here's a direct YouTube link, which should be more accessible:

Attachments

• Jenny’s Wedding (reel) on The Session.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: Don Quixote

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Recently decided to move away from the pay per month streaming of music and videos. These days everyone seems to want something a month from you, as if the funds are unlimited. If I can't afford the monthly service I'm cut off from music, and I'm not keen on the ads on Spotify. So have switched to using MP3's and DVD's again. Had an Apple TV some time ago, had trouble with it constantly buffering, couldn't reliably watch content, and our internet is fine. Bought mum a DVD player for something and it's just more reliable. Recently purchased Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power, probably my favourite Heavy Metal band. Dimebag Darrells groove playing is so unique, I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.