Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I still have my two classic iPods but they're in a drawer somewhere and I haven't used them in years. My iPhones and iPads have taken over handling the storage and presentation of my music. When I buy a new album or track(s) from an album in iTunes, it is automatically also downloaded into my computers and my iPhone and iPad, which is convenient.

In the car I use BT to get the music playing (iTunes set to "shuffle") while my iPhone rests in my purse and I'm driving somewhere.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I still use, and love, my nano.
The nano was an exquisite device.

I loved its appearance (in all of its iterations), its portability, its glorious and gorgeous quirkiness.

My only grumble was the storage, or memory; even twenty years ago, I needed around 80GB for my music.

But I love, love, love the iPod classic, a device dedicated - solely - to music. (The iPod Touch never appealed to me in quite the same way).

I still have my two classic iPods but they're in a drawer somewhere and I haven't used them in years.
Wonderful devices.
My iPhones and iPads have taken over handling the storage and presentation of my music. When I buy a new album or track(s) from an album in iTunes, it is automatically also downloaded into my computers and my iPhone and iPad, which is convenient.

In the car I use BT to get the music playing (iTunes set to "shuffle") while my iPhone rests in my purse and I'm driving somewhere.

I hear you.
Or my iphone ...
At the risk of being burned at the proverbial stake on this very forum, I have to say that I detest - really detest - the iPhone, (yes, I know many of the arguments for having one) and refuse to use mine for music. Actually, I never carry it when out and about, and am more or less uncontactable unless phoned (when I am standing beside it) or texted.

Now, when working abroad, obviously, it is a very different - dramatically different - matter, when my job and position requires that I must be contactable 24/7; in those circumstances, I carry (and use) whatever smart device has been issued to me at all times.

• Love
Reactions: Don Quixote

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Rock math: is this true or false?

Smiths + New Order = Electronic

;-)

----------
Personally, I might prefer Morrissey fronting The Other Two. Well, maybe not...
I think that it - the situation, circumstances, musical swimming water - was/were all a bit more fluid that pure rock maths might suggest, although Smiths and New Order were most certainly part of that mix.

Reactions: KaliYoni

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The nano was an exquisite device.

I loved its appearance (in all of its iterations), its portability, its glorious and gorgeous quirkiness.

My only grumble was the storage, or memory; even twenty years ago, I needed around 80GB for my music.

But I love, love, love the iPod classic, a device dedicated - solely - to music. (The iPod Touch never appealed to me in quite the same way).

Wonderful devices.

I hear you.

At the risk of being burned at the proverbial stake on this very forum, I have to say that I detest - really detest - the iPhone, (yes, I know many of the arguments for having one) and refuse to use mine for music. Actually, I never carry it when out and about, and am more or less uncontactable unless phoned (when I am standing beside it) or texted.

Now, when working abroad, obviously, it is a very different - dramatically different - matter, when my job and position requires that I must be contactable 24/7; in those circumstances, I carry (and use) whatever smart device has been issued to me at all times.

As a woman most often unaccompanied and on her own when out-and-about, and of course concerned about being able to get in touch with others if something happens while I'm driving my car, I always have my iPhone with me when leaving my neighborhood.

Sure, walking around my neighborhood to collect my mail or take out the trash to deposit it in our community dumpster or recycling area, I don't take my iPhone with me. Also, when out in the neighborhood shooting photos, I don't expect to need the iPhone, either, nor do I want any interruptions while I'm in the midst of composing, focusing and taking photos. The iPhone stays at home and that's fine, as I'll be back in the house fairly shortly anyway in case some important call(s) did come in during my brief absence.

When somewhere else away from home, whether I've driven myself or have gone somewhere with someone else, I like having the iPhone with me "just-in-case." Just feels better, safer, somehow....

At home, the iPhone sits on a stand in the living room area and so is reasonably close by when I'm on the computer and a call comes in. I can glance over at it. If I'm in another room and don't hear the phone, well, if a voicemail message isn't left I'm not likely to remember to check the phone and therefore know that someone even tried to call me at all. Hopefully if it is an urgent situation the person will think to text/message me or send me an e-mail, as in both of those situations I'm more likely to become aware of having received a message sooner rather than later.

I no longer have a landline phone; that went away several years ago so that the iPhone is basically it now...... I really don't receive or make many phone calls these days anyway so it's not a huge issue one way or the other.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Listening to a few tracks from Squeeze: Cool for Cats, Up the Junction, Tempted, No Place Like Home, and the brilliant Last Time Forever.

Where's the damn chalet???

2021_CKS_20034_0022_003(roger_federers_swiss_team_fleece_jacket_the_olympics_london_2012081636).jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a woman most often unaccompanied and on her own when out-and-about, and of course concerned about being able to get in touch with others if something happens while I'm driving my car, I always have my iPhone with me when leaving my neighborhood.

Sure, walking around my neighborhood to collect my mail or take out the trash to deposit it in our community dumpster or recycling area, I don't take my iPhone with me. Also, when out in the neighborhood shooting photos, I don't expect to need the iPhone, either, nor do I want any interruptions while I'm in the midst of composing, focusing and taking photos. The iPhone stays at home and that's fine, as I'll be back in the house fairly shortly anyway in case some important call(s) did come in during my brief absence.

When somewhere else away from home, whether I've driven myself or have gone somewhere with someone else, I like having the iPhone with me "just-in-case." Just feels better, safer, somehow....

At home, the iPhone sits on a stand in the living room area and so is reasonably close by when I'm on the computer and a call comes in. I can glance over at it. If I'm in another room and don't hear the phone, well, if a voicemail message isn't left I'm not likely to remember to check the phone and therefore know that someone even tried to call me at all. Hopefully if it is an urgent situation the person will think to text/message me or send me an e-mail, as in both of those situations I'm more likely to become aware of having received a message sooner rather than later.

I no longer have a landline phone; that went away several years ago so that the iPhone is basically it now...... I really don't receive or make many phone calls these days anyway so it's not a huge issue one way or the other.
I hear you, and understand, to a very large extent, where you are coming from.

For what it is worth, I still have a landline (and will never dispense with it); it is too convenient, and, frankly, the acoustic quality is a lot better than is the case with mobiles/cell phones, and I like the idea of a device that simply makes phone calls.

Perhaps, surprisingly, I used to actually like my phone in the old clam phone days; above all, I loved their portability - shoved into a jeans or jacket or coat or chino/khaki pocket, and you were good to go; these days, hardly anyone phones me on my mobile/cell phone (perhaps, they have learned that I am difficult to find), although I will always answer texts (but, rarely, immediately).

Now, I loathe smart phones (yes, I don't doubt their convenience, or the range of what they offer), their grotesque size, their ubiquity, their senseless interruption of normal, civil, human interaction.

Yes, when working abroad, of course I will use the devices that I have been given (though, in my most recent election observation missions, I had to ask my staff to show me some stuff - such as how some things worked - on these horrid devices; needless to say, my staff were completely at home with these things and had no trouble in patiently explaining things to me, and doing the needful on the phone - some Galaxy thing - that I had been supplied with).

If a good quality - nice, elegant - clam phone appears, I may well investigate, and consider making a purchase.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Back to music:

Time for a bit of Madness:

Am listening to some serious classics from a few decades ago: Embarrassing confession: I actually danced to some of this stuff in my student days at student parties.....

Night Boat To Cairo, One Step Beyond, Prince, Baggy Trousers, Embarrassment, My Girl, Driving In My Car, It Must be Love, Grey Day, Tomorrow's Just Another Day, Our House, House of Fun, and The Sun And The Rain.

• Love

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Back to music:

Time for a bit of Madness:

Am listening to some serious classics from a few decades ago: Embarrassing confession: I actually danced to some of this stuff in my student days at student parties.....

Night Boat To Cairo, One Step Beyond, Prince, Baggy Trousers, Embarrassment, My Girl, Driving In My Car, It Must be Love, Grey Day, Tomorrow's Just Another Day, Our House, House of Fun, and The Sun And The Rain.

Hey you! Don't watch that, watch this!

2 Tone bands (yeah, I know Madness only released their first single there) rule. That's why I was really, really excited when my favorite soundtrack/live album of all time, Dance Craze, was rereleased in an expanded edition not too long ago.

Mac Klub
I'm a member of the Mac Klub
Mac Klub
A fully paid up member of the Mac Klub

I won't post on a board like this
Everybody has AirTags
And the Disagrees make me pissed

(apologies to The Specials)

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
My01MTMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

XTC Skylarking ... I love this LP but I do have a twinge of guilt when I listen to it because the band ended up not liking the final production/end product of Todd Rundgren. Too bad, such a beautiful LP.

You might dig this book which, along with lots of other XTC inside info, has Andy Partridge talking about Skylarking with the benefit of hindsight:

I liked reading it, especially the parts about the early years of XTC.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I know I posted this track back in December when I first heard it, but I really can't get enough of it! I actually transcribed the guitar riff at 0:41, and I might do the rest of it at some point, too. Actually, I noticed that this version was mastered in mono, while the version on Spotify was mastered in stereo. I can't quite tell which one I like better... I think both are great!

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I know I posted this track back in December when I first heard it, but I really can't get enough of it! I actually transcribed the guitar riff at 0:41, and I might do the rest of it at some point, too. Actually, I noticed that this version was mastered in mono, while the version on Spotify was mastered in stereo. I can't quite tell which one I like better... I think both are great!

Alright, allow me to go full-on music theory/jargony nerd here for a sec.

As an experiment, I threw the recording into Audacity and transposed it up one semitone (half-step) just to see how it sounded. I realized that, at least to my ear, it actually transposed up almost an entire whole step. The original is in the key of F, and the supposedly "semitone"-transposed version is actually more in the key of G than it is in F sharp. Now I should mention that, to my ear, it sounded more like a semitone and a half - so somewhere in between F sharp and G. Anyway, this leads me to believe that the original recording is actually about 50 or 60 cents sharp... which actually isn't uncommon for records like this. So, using this logic, the original is somewhere between F and F sharp, but to me, it sounds like it's in F. But this is one of those times where I'm not fully trusting my ear. I guess the test to see if this is actually true would be to go on a (in-tune) piano or some MIDI patch or something and play along with it. I'll have to try that!

EDIT: I should mention that transposing it up 0.5 semitones in Audacity produces a result that sounds a LOT more like F sharp to me. Again, "1 semitone" sounds like F sharp plus a little bit (or G and a little bit flat) - somewhere in between.

EDIT #2: I don't believe this is a bug or fault with Audacity. Again, it's common for recordings like this to have this quality.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.