Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
Time for a new thread folks!

Continued from here:

What are you listening to pt.2

To embed a YouTube video, type the code in like this:

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-27%20at%204.56.57%20PM.png

You get the YouTube URL from the Share button on the
This prog/jazz/avant rock/instrumental guy

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Got into a minor argument on my Barbeque/BGE forum about the greatest female musician out of Canada, the OP claimed it was Alanis Morisette. While she’s very easy on the eyes, I argued that she didn’t hold a candle to Joni Mitchell (and, of course, I’m right ;) ).
With subsequent discussions, I remembered k d lang, an incredible vocalist, and had to dig up this beautiful nugget; enjoy!

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
Got into a minor argument on my Barbeque/BGE forum about the greatest female musician out of Canada, the OP claimed it was Alanis Morisette. While she’s very easy on the eyes, I argued that she didn’t hold a candle to Joni Mitchell (and, of course, I’m right ;) ).
With subsequent discussions, I remembered k d lang, an incredible vocalist, and had to dig up this beautiful nugget; enjoy!

Incredible indeed :) She can hold a pure note for ages before tickling it with controlled vibrato towards the end: it's a mature, bold and beautiful voice, to be sure.

Reactions: BotchQue

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
Well, I'm no expert, I just got into them when I was in my 20's. But I've always liked them, especially the singers rather sexy voice! I have Dots and Loops, Emperor Tomato Ketchup, and Mars Audiac Quintet....I love the song Three Dee Melodie...LUSH!
Good stuff! Also recommended from that era is their Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night (!) album - oh, and how could I forget - Sound Dust, from a little later :)

Reactions: Snow4maen

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Finally got around to buying some Bowie, got Low....first listen, some songs I've heard. It's new to me so that is pretty exciting. Love it so far....

View attachment 2372571
That is your first Bowie?

Interesting choice, imho. Not his best for sure, or most popular, but it did well in the charts, #2 in the UK and #11 in the US.

What made you pick that one?

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
That is your first Bowie?

Interesting choice, imho. Not his best for sure, or most popular, but it did well in the charts, #2 in the UK and #11 in the US.

What made you pick that one?
Hi, yeah, first Bowie. I have no clue, so I did a Google and this popped up as the best album, probably very wrong. Anyway, I'm sure most of it is good. I'll get more later on. I like it. But as he's been pretty prolific, I could do with narrowing it down. Any recommendations welcome!

Reactions: Don Quixote

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
this popped up as the best album

Well, if you like Joy Division you should also pick up the related album (yes, I know it's Iggy) The Idiot.

Then for entry points to Bowie, I'd say to start with
(a singles compilation, good for moving on to specific albums)

then
(make sure to listen to the recent reissued version, it features Jeff Beck in the encores)

and finally
(I think this is Bowie's last great album...plus it was Stevie Ray Vaughan's big break)

----------
bonus for Pixies fans

bonus for lovers of impressions and cover versions

Last edited:

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Well, if you like Joy Division you should also pick up the related album (yes, I know it's Iggy) The Idiot.

Then for entry points to Bowie, I'd say to start with
(a singles compilation, good for moving on to specific albums)

then
(make sure to listen to the recent reissued version, it features Jeff Beck in the encores)

and finally
(I think this is Bowie's last great album...plus it was Stevie Ray Vaughan's big break)

----------
bonus for Pixies fans

bonus for lovers of impressions and cover versions

Thanks for this! I’ll check it out…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.