Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
I just finished listening to this through YouTube:

the-tortured-poets-department-taylor-swift-album-020424-ced140530abf477d9c47af75c12fcbb3.jpg

It's in many ways VERY different than previous Taylor Swift albums. It's like Swift is trying to do a slightly up-tempo version of a Lana Del Rey album.
I remember listening to Taylor Swifts 1989, not all that familiar with the rest of her music yet, but that album is lovely.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I listened to the double album. The Black Dog is really good.
I think a lot of people are calling it her "weakest" album. Not surprised--Swift specifically warned that it lacks the "glitter pen" brighter style we've heard from several of her previous albums. If you view the album more like something that Lana Del Rey or Billie Eilish would do, then you better understand its strengths.

Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I think a lot of people are calling it her "weakest" album. Not surprised--Swift specifically warned that it lacks the "glitter pen" brighter style we've heard from several of her previous albums. If you view the album more like something that Lana Del Rey or Billie Eilish would do, then you better understand its strengths.
Definitely agree. I can understand this album being polarizing. I'm a fan though. Very strong songwriting aside from maybe a couple cringey lines (Charlie Puth? Really?)

Reactions: Rafterman

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Definitely agree. I can understand this album being polarizing. I'm a fan though. Very strong songwriting aside from maybe a couple cringey lines (Charlie Puth? Really?)

I admire her hard work and she's put out a lot of work the last several years. But she needs to pull it back, it seems like almost every thought she has is turned into a song. Maybe spend a few years building up some songs and editing the lesser ones out.

But she wears her heart on her sleeve, and that might be hard for someone like her.

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Frank Sinatra - Ultimate Sinatra. Not only a very cool person, but also true class. I'm up in the middle of the night again, but when you have Frank for company, it's ok.
A. You have a crazily diverse music pallet. That's cool!

B. Not a big Sinatra fan but I do own a few of his tunes. He was cool and apparently a pretty good friend/person.
I'd bet only Joey Bishop would disagree. From what I've read recently, online lol, he got bounced from the Rat Pack for letting Frank down.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A. You have a crazily diverse music pallet. That's cool!

B. Not a big Sinatra fan but I do own a few of his tunes. He was cool and apparently a pretty good friend/person.
I'd bet only Joey Bishop would disagree. From what I've read recently, online lol, he got bounced from the Rat Pack for letting Frank down.
To be honest I just love music, I'm greedy I guess. I started out when I was young being a huge fan of Micheal Jackson, still have a profound nostalgia for this. Got into very different stuff as a teen, then on to my 20's. I was lucky I had a friend who was pretty knowledgeable and introduced me to lots. I'm still listening to most of what I used to now. But I've really slowed down in finding out about new music, which is a shame. And ironically now it's probably never been easier. I sometimes use Spotify, and you can discover much on there. But I don't do that often. I'm always keen to find new stuff. But a lot of what I listen to has nostalgia, it takes me back to when I was young. That is really nice. New music can't do that. Sometimes I use the BLEEP music website, I like some of that stuff and I could find more on there if I were not so lazy. Some of the newest music I have found is Ariel Pink, and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I like them both very much. But I'll listen to anything I just love it. A little while ago I was even getting into Country music, pretty new to me that. I just think music is really wonderful. If you cut yourself off from any style, etc. I think you are losing out.

EDIT - I probably should mention that we are all entitled to our preferences, of course. I do not like all music equally, although I value it all. I have my preferences too, I just try to be open minded. I mean country music is never going to be my favourite kind of music, but if it's good enough for those cowboys, it's good enough for me, cowboys are kinda cool. 😀

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
La Valse (Ravel)

Piano Concerto for the Left Hand (Ravel)

Piano Sonata in B minor (Liszt)
Not too knowledgable with classical, but I have Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations (1981). What introduced me to this music? It was used in The Silence Of The Lambs, when Hannibal Lecter is in his transport cage....LOL! I thought it was strangely beautiful.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Not too knowledgable with classical, but I have Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations (1981). What introduced me to this music? It was used in The Silence Of The Lambs, when Hannibal Lecter is in his transport cage....LOL! I thought it was strangely beautiful.

When I think of music and TSOTL, it’s THE FALL for me.

Reactions: Snow4maen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.