Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I absolutely love bluegrass (and most all folk music in general)!! This was in that local folder of music one of my instructors gave me at the beginning of the school year. I'm still going through it all! I've only made it through about a quarter of it so far! I mean, given the fact that when I hear something I like, I listen to it for days straight, it'll take me awhile.

Alright, so I was looking for a transcription of this song—I found one that's, eh, a little bit close... but anyway... I noticed that Google searches were turning up results about this song having either a Southern U.S. or Irish origin. The first result was a transcription from an Irish folk music repository, and several below that also point to Irish origins.

I wonder where it actually came from—it seems to be a bit conflicting, just from the top-level Google search results. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is an Irish folk tune (that's what I'd like it to be if I could choose). Anyway, just an interesting thing!

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Everyone here better listen to this!

Looks like Scofield's interests go beyond jazz...check out these gigs, yowsa.

Reactions: txa1265 and rm5

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch......👌

Needle Of Death -

When sadness fills your heart
And sorrow hides the longing to be free
When things go wrong each day
You fix your mind to 'scape your misery
Your troubled young life
Had made you turn
To a needle of death
How strange, your happy words
Have ceased to bring a smile from everyone
How tears have filled the eyes
Of friends that you once had walked among
Your troubled young life
Had made you turn
To a needle of death
One grain of pure white snow
Dissolved in blood spread quickly to your brain
In peace your mind withdraws
Your death so near your soul can't feel no pain
Your troubled young life
Had made you turn
To a needle of death
Your mother stands a'cryin'
While to the earth your body's slowly cast
Your father stands in silence
Caressing every young dream of the past
Your troubled young life
Had made you turn
To a needle of death
Through ages, man's desires
To free his mind, to release his very soul
Has proved to all who live
That death itself is freedom for evermore
And your troubled young life
Will make you turn
To a needle of death

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GerritV

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Looks like Scofield's interests go beyond jazz...check out these gigs, yowsa.
Sco has always loved stretching out - his stuff with Medeski Martin & Wood ... and his more recent 'Country for Old Men'. His Uberjam records definitely showed his desire to stretch in that direction as well.

I've seen him live several times through the decades (including twice with Miles) and felt like it was never the same thng twice!

Reactions: KaliYoni

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Going way back in time, to my preferred repertoire to cover in my early days of guitar playing.
check it out and enjoy

Ferre.png

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@rm5: One of my favourite - all time favourite - pieces of music is the spell-binding Fandango by Antonio Soler.

I am still amazed - nay, gobsmacked, stunned - at the idea of a Spanish priest (someone who is supposed to have led a quiet, perhaps almost contemplative, life, in such a socially stratified, occasionally suffocating and exceedingly controlled - if artistically brilliant - society) from the 18th century coming up with, crafting, composing, something so riveting, electrifying, arresting and brilliant.

Anyway, while I have two (different) versions of this on my iPod, and on my computer's iTunes library (and could listen to it forever), as I am currently listening to Christina Pluhar (and L'Arpeggiata), I must say that I hadn't realised that they, too, have recorded a version of Soler's spellbinding Fandango, and this is what I am currently listening to.

Anyway, if you haven't done so, might I encourage you (strongly encourage you) to take a listen to the stunning, amazing, incredible, awesome Fandango by Antonio Soler.

Last edited:
Reactions: rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@rm5: One of my favourite - all time favourite - pieces of music is the spell-binding Fandango by Antonio Soler.

I am still amazed - nay, gobsmacked, stunned - at the idea of a Spanish priest (someone who is supposed to have led a quiet, perhaps almost contemplative, life, in such a socially stratified, occasionally suffocating and exceedingly controlled - if artistically brilliant - society) from the 17th century coming up with, crafting, composing, something so riveting, electrifying, arresting and brilliant.

Anyway, while I have two (different) versions of this on my iPod, and on my computer's iTunes library (and could listen to it forever), as I am currently listening to Christina Pluhar (and L'Arpeggiata), I must say that I hadn't realised that they, too, have recorded a version of Soler's spellbinding Fandango, and this is what I am currently listening to.

Anyway, if you haven't done so, might I encourage you (strongly encourage you) to take a listen to the stunning, amazing, incredible, awesome Fandango by Antonio Soler.
@rm5: L'Arpeggiata & Christina Pluhar's version of Soler's Fandango is orchestral; however, the versions I have on my iPod (and iTunes) are (solely) harpsichord.

For what it is worth, Jean Rondeau delivers an amazing version (online) on harpsichord - similar to the faster of the two recordings I have on my iPod and computer's iTunes.

That bass line is.......beyond awesome.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
@rm5: L'Arpeggiata & Christina Pluhar's version of Soler's Fandango is orchestral; however, the versions I have on my iPod (and iTunes) are (solely) harpsichord.

For what it is worth, Jean Rondeau delivers an amazing version (online) on harpsichord - similar to the faster of the two recordings I have on my iPod and computer's iTunes.

That bass line is.......beyond awesome.
OH GOODNESS ME, THIS IS AMAZING!!! Both the harpsichord version and Christina Pluhar!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
OH GOODNESS ME, THIS IS AMAZING!!! Both the harpsichord version and Christina Pluhar!
Brilliant.

Ah, happy sigh.

I am delighted - so glad - that you have enjoyed it - seriously, this is one of my (all time) favourite pieces.

Actually, I still remember - vividly - the (very) first time I ever heard this piece.

It was mid morning: I was correcting (grading) term papers, - at the time - this was just over twenty years ago - I was teaching at an ancient (venerable) university, (which I loved), and sitting on a sofa in my (city centre) flat, that I shared with my brother (Decent Brother - he was studying law), with the radio (state service) on, the classical music station, playing quietly, in the background.

And then, what I now know to be Soler's Fandango, came on.

I remember noting it, liking it, and then, - entirely unexpectedly - ceasing my correcting, and sitting upright, putting the papers aside, as I was now alert, arrested, enthralled, enraptured.

Actually, I couldn't stop listening - it was compelling - so compelling (this was twenty years ago, after all), that, having rapidly written down the name of the piece, (when the presenter announced the details after the piece had finished), well, I still retained the pen (fountain pen) in my hand, - had ensured that pen and (scrap of) paper were both (snatched) to hand to note these details - even though the student term papers I was grading had been put (perhaps, surprisingly gently) to one side, (and the composer - I blush to recall that prior to that morning I had never heard of either the piece or the composer), I headed straight into (well, en route to classes I was to teach later that afternoon in the ancient university that employed me) into both Virgin and HMV (well, those were the days when you could expect to find decent music stores, staffed by enthusiastic, informed, and knowledgeable staff) to ask about Antonio Soler and his amazing Fandango.

And yes: That day I bought two CDs, with two different versions of the Fandango by Soler.

Last edited:

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Not a good nights sleep, feel the need for Phil. Phil Collins, Face Value….I like his music in general but I also have this nostalgia of hearing it on the radio so much as a child in the 80’s. I’ve only latterly come to appreciate it. It’s deceptively simple sounding, but when you realise the musicianship involved it’s surprising. Watched a couple of videos by Leland Sklar, I had no idea the bass was so good! That chap is super talented. Got a place in my heart for Phil...❤️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.