Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well the monitor,,, you're on your own. I still just use laptops... :)
I use a laptop with my 48" TV.

Remember that you can change the scaling of the desktop in Windows, so one does not need to fear that a 40" 4K TV would be too small (you would just have less space).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It sounds nice. I’ll look into the chair but guessing it’ll be more than Wells Fargo will permit me to spend. Haha. Especially if I buy a desk thanks to you-know-who! :mad:

A credenza sits beside and extends a couple feet under my office desk. I love it because I can lean back and rest my left leg on it while working. (I have a few permanent injuries, mostly orthopedic, and resting that leg is Heaven.) I need to find a footstool or ottoman for home. Something that isn’t hideous...like my left leg.

Googling Klober.

Some of the companies that stock Klober, will sell their display stuff at a decent discount. That is how I got the lovely chair I use for myself in the kitchen (a Moteo conference swivel chair); it was a display model, and, as I had already ordered the executive chair, I made an offer - we discussed the discount - and I had two Klober chairs delivered to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You can now buy a 43" 4K SmartTV for $220.

That would be like four 21.5" Full HD monitors.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Or a photographer.
That is included in professional graphics. Even if you don't get paid for it.

Many people don't buy prosumer cameras or printers.

You can buy a basic calibrator for $100.

The only 120+ Hz 4K monitors are either too big or too small, so no loss there.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There seems to be exactly one 4K monitor with Adaptive Sync of a proper size: 43", about 500 euro.

There are several such TVs.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Is getting a PC laptop and putting Linux on it an option for you?
Alas, no. My brain freezes up with programming language. I was looking at Nuc hackintoshes before and I couldn’t fathom attempting one from the software POV. My hats off to folks who can juggle all three OS. Unfortunately, the simpleness of macOS and real life right now, makes it tricky for me to commit. That said, I have to start moving away from Macs and educating myself on Windows troubleshooting.

The warranties and service at MS stores are too good for me not to make the jump.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you buy a pre-built PC it normally comes with Windows anyway. You can play with Linux on top of it.

You can also play with Linux by burning a Live DVD or USB stick.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Alas, no. My brain freezes up with programming language. I was looking at Nuc hackintoshes before and I couldn’t fathom attempting one from the software POV. My hats off to folks who can juggle all three OS. Unfortunately, the simpleness of macOS and real life right now, makes it tricky for me to commit. That said, I have to start moving away from Macs and educating myself on Windows troubleshooting.

The warranties and service at MS stores are too good for me not to make the jump.
It's not a programming language and you don't even need to know command line stuff either. You can try it out on your Mac all for free. You can build it in Virtualbox, also free, and try it out as a virtual machine. You can also burn a copy to a CD/DVD and run it from there without even installing it too.

If that's something you'd be willing to try, I'd recommend Linux Ubuntu or Linix Mint. Both work like and have the same feel as macOS or Windows and the best part is they're free.

If you don't want to try them, that's cool too. :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It's not a programming language and you don't even need to know command line stuff either. You can try it out on your Mac all for free. You can build it in Virtualbox, also free, and try it out as a virtual machine. You can also burn a copy to a CD/DVD and run it from there without even installing it too.

If that's something you'd be willing to try, I'd recommend Linux Ubuntu or Linix Mint. Both work like and have the same feel as macOS or Windows and the best part is they're free.

If you don't want to try them, that's cool too. :)

Thanks for the response, I thoroughly sit corrected.:) I never understood it. :)

Reading up on it now. Thank you for the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Building a desktop because it is less of a risky hassle than upgrading NVMe and especially RAM on my laptop.
I have come to the conclusion that I'm not convinced to buy any of the GPUs that would exist by 7/7.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Anyone have that super wide curved LG monitor?
Today I am looking at a spreadsheet where my 4K 48" TV is not wide enough.

But a current ultrawide monitor would not be tall enough for it, or for some table I looked at some other time.

Even if a monitort had the biggest dimension of each, the sheet would not fit.

My TV was perfect for that other table spread.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

But a current ultrawide monitor would not be tall enough for it, or for some table I looked at some other time.

It’s hard for me to imagine having to use a worksheet that doesn’t fit laterally on a widescreen. Actually I don’t use them much...I usually populate them. I’ve hit the max rows limit a number of times though.
[doublepost=1562112567][/doublepost]I’ve last a few days more without ordering a desk, chair or monitor. This is hard work. :(

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Many of my sheets don’t fit on my screen. But I like to view them at 150% which doesn’t help!

Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.