Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm going to fail to resist:
Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 3.11.46 PM.png

Yep...

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I have tried tipping my toes in the water with several beginner amps, but they sounded far worse than directly from the mac. I have tried the Hel, Fulla from Schiit.
I am currently running a Scarlett Solo 3 (I use the mic input) into a Schiit Magni 3 powering AKG 712 Pros'. I originally had the K712 running off a Soundblaster Z (which had a headphone amp) on my old desktop, while the headphones got plenty loud, I found the high range fatiguing. After adding the amp they have been great, though not sure if placebo haha.

I would like to move on from these headphones eventually and also a nice compact (and somewhat) portable amp/dac setup that can connect to my iPad listing to Apple Music.

Reactions: 960design

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I just bought the Apple Studio Display and its life changing in regards to work efforts.
This has been on my radar since announced.

I dont NEED it as my Series 5 is still kicking just fine but man, I saw it in person this week for the first time and highly impressed. Love the flat display.

6339712_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Mechanical keyboards.

I'm trying *REALLY* hard to not get in to mechanical keyboards. I have a Logitech "Multi-device" keyboard+mouse now that works fine. It types fine, it connects to my work PC, my home Mac Mini, and my MacBook Pro all seamlessly.

But I do love old mechanical keyboards - and have had to restrain myself from getting in to modern mechanical keyboards. Because I know if I start, I'll end up with a dozen different keyboards that I swap between regularly in short order. And that would be bad for both my wallet and my wife's sanity. (She works from home, too; in a home office right next to mine.)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Failed already:
Macbook Pro M2 16" ( to be fair, my current MBPr16 i9 is at the 3 year old mark, so time to replace anyway ).

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Mechanical keyboards.

I'm trying *REALLY* hard to not get in to mechanical keyboards. I have a Logitech "Multi-device" keyboard+mouse now that works fine. It types fine, it connects to my work PC, my home Mac Mini, and my MacBook Pro all seamlessly.

But I do love old mechanical keyboards - and have had to restrain myself from getting in to modern mechanical keyboards. Because I know if I start, I'll end up with a dozen different keyboards that I swap between regularly in short order. And that would be bad for both my wallet and my wife's sanity. (She works from home, too; in a home office right next to mine.)
Wife has a fancy one, not sure of the brand, but she likes it extra "clicky" and loves it. She also has three laptops running with two huge monitors, I think she is compensating ( maybe for me, dang I love that lady ).
I kinda enjoy the clicking, when I am working in the next room.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Ha! Come to the dark side... we have IBM...
I have a few of those. I love my vintage mechanical keyboards, I just know that if I started buying new ones as "daily drivers" I'd end up with too many.

But the new thing I was trying to keep myself from buying was a new desktop Mac. The M2 Pro Mini was announced, and it looked about 99% of what I wanted. But add in 10GbE and Apple's ridiculous price to upgrade the RAM to 32 GB, and it's suddenly the same price as a base Mac Studio that has both of those, plus up front USB and SD.

So I was torn. "Buy the M2 Pro Mini for more than it really should be, get an M1 Max Studio for more than I want to pay for a now-older-generation machine, or wait for the new M2 Studio whenever it comes out?"

Well, Costco just made my choice for me - they have the M1 Max Studio on sale for $1699, and I'm about to get a ~$1000 Costco annual reward certificate. The only annoying part is the timing - the Studio sale ends Jan 31, the reward certificate will be issued on Feb 1. Oh well, I'll be spending $1000 at Costco sometime in the next couple months anyway I'm sure.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
router_trade_in_mac_mini__c71g4whq0z2a_large.jpg

What I do is wait a few months before buying something if I'm not absolutely sure I need it. This will prevent any impulse buying and will give me time to research and think about how I'm going to use the item for and any configuration choices etc.

Right now that's the base M2 Mac mini. Although the M2 Pro Mac mini looks really nice. The question is do I need either one or both and exactly what specific tasks will they perform.

Reactions: Student of Life

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
A quality concertina, $1570.00 US
Edited: I FAILED COMPLETELY

Attachments

• 01AA71BB-71BD-456B-AA8F-DFB6932AA3F6.jpeg
    01AA71BB-71BD-456B-AA8F-DFB6932AA3F6.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I have a B6... makes me wonder if I should instead buy a $499 Mac mini with it?
B6 is older and probably more of an issue for potential burn in if you do use it as a monitor. If you take the proper precautions I don't see why not but might want to ask people in the r/OLED community about it.

Reactions: sam_dean

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
B6 is older and probably more of an issue for potential burn in if you do use it as a monitor. If you take the proper precautions I don't see why not but might want to ask people in the r/OLED community about it.
It is more of wanting a snappier Netflix, Prime and YouTube than anything else. Was thinking of getting a 2022 Apple TV 4K but I dont know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.