Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
MT353ref_VW_34FR+watch-case-41-aluminum-starlight-nc-s9_VW_34FR+watch-face-41-aluminum-starlight-s9_VW_34FR_WF_CO_GEO_GB

I picked up a cheap used Series 7 on eBay a few months ago, but the battery is not cutting it. Went for an hour's walk today starting with 100% charge, down to 55% when I got back. The Ultra is probably more than I need, but the Series 9 would be a decent upgrade, maybe worth it for the battery life. And the instalment plan wouldn't work out too much a month. Its tempting.

Reactions: Brad7 and jazz1

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
MT353ref_VW_34FR+watch-case-41-aluminum-starlight-nc-s9_VW_34FR+watch-face-41-aluminum-starlight-s9_VW_34FR_WF_CO_GEO_GB

I picked up a cheap used Series 7 on eBay a few months ago, but the battery is not cutting it. Went for an hour's walk today starting with 100% charge, down to 55% when I got back. The Ultra is probably more than I need, but the Series 9 would be a decent upgrade, maybe worth it for the battery life. And the instalment plan wouldn't work out too much a month. Its tempting.
Just get a new battery. My AW SE still has all day battery and I use it a lot.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
UGREEN 300W that can fast charge a 140W MBP 16", iPad, iPhone, Watch, AirPods, etc.

Reason: I can get it around $112 domestically about the same price as a 140W Apple charger.

ugreen-Nexode-300W-2-.jpg

Another reason not to get it is that I have these multi USB-A + USB-C port chargers

- Satechi 75W
- Anker 60W
- CHOETECH 55W
- AUKEY 49.5W

I'd liquidate them if I can get fair value and replace with UGREENs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abazigal and jazz1

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A replacement Apple Watch. My Series 5 has been fairly solid for the past 4 years but is showing signs of needing to be replaced. The battery life took a hit with the latest watchOS update and turns off at around 9pm.

I was all set to buy a Series 8 stainless refurb off Apple this year but members here talked me out of it because the series 9 had subtle but better improvements. However, I wanted a stainless and didn’t see the point in a series 9 aluminium, not paying £700 for a new stainless watch btw. So here I am, waiting until next year now to see if this 10th anniversary watch brings a fresh new design. Stretching this series 5 out into its 5th year and hope it makes it to next September lol.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A replacement Apple Watch. My Series 5 has been fairly solid for the past 4 years but is showing signs of needing to be replaced. The battery life took a hit with the latest watchOS update and turns off at around 9pm.

I was all set to buy a Series 8 stainless refurb off Apple this year but members here talked me out of it because the series 9 had subtle but better improvements. However, I wanted a stainless and didn’t see the point in a series 9 aluminium, not paying £700 for a new stainless watch btw. So here I am, waiting until next year now to see if this 10th anniversary watch brings a fresh new design. Stretching this series 5 out into its 5th year and hope it makes it to next September lol.
Kind of in the boat with my AW SE. It’s definitely not recording my runs correctly. Also the sports loop has developed a small tear (it’s my second one to do this).
But things are pretty tight at the moment. My tax bill has swallowed up this years pay rise and just about every bill is bigger than lasts. My car insurance just went up by 40%.

Jamie's_Tech

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2021

I upgraded the S5 to AWU 1st gen last year, primarily due to the battery life. At the time, in the UK at least, the price difference between a new SS and AWU was negligible.

The form factor of the AWU IMHO is not as nice as a SS Apple Watch and, although I do really love the battery life, I do regret not getting the SS! That silver shine certainly catches the eye, especially with the Milanese loop which I really would like to get.

I do wonder, with what the Series 10 / X form factor will be like.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I upgraded the S5 to AWU 1st gen last year, primarily due to the battery life. At the time, in the UK at least, the price difference between a new SS and AWU was negligible.

The form factor of the AWU IMHO is not as nice as a SS Apple Watch and, although I do really love the battery life, I do regret not getting the SS! That silver shine certainly catches the eye, especially with the Milanese loop which I really would like to get.

I do wonder, with what the Series 10 / X form factor will be like.
Nice. If I get a stainless model, it will be the previous years model, not paying 700 quid for a smartwatch. I don't like the design of the Ultra personally but would like its battery life. I will probably end up getting an aluminium series 10 next year if its a new design, or a series 9 stainless refurb if its not. I can't stretch my Series 5 out to another year from next. Like you I do prefer the slimmer design and it goes better with my daily attire of a shirt for work. Nothing worse than a chunky watch getting caught on the sleeve every 5 mins lol.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
UGREEN 300W that can fast charge a 140W MBP 16", iPad, iPhone, Watch, AirPods, etc.

Reason: I can get it around $112 domestically about the same price as a 140W Apple charger.

Another reason not to get it is that I have these multi USB-A + USB-C port chargers

- Satechi 75W
- Anker 60W
- CHOETECH 55W
- AUKEY 49.5W

I'd liquidate them if I can get fair value and replace with UGREENs.
I picked up a couple of 65W 4-port UGREEN chargers and have found them a bit temperamental when charging more than one item. When you plug in a new item to charge it will cut the power and rebalance the wattage amongst the ports - except sometimes it doesn't quite stick and then cuts the power, rebalances, ad nauseum.

I suspect it's an incompatibility between the charger's charging logic and the charging logic of the charged device. YMMV but be aware! Just doing my bit to temper the all-consuming gear lust with which I am all too familiar.

Reactions: sack_peak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.