Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
The telephoto end is what really helps keep me on m43. It know it’s not premium glass, but my P100-300 lens only tips the scales at just over a pound. That’s 600mm FF equivalent (not all things being equal, of course), and dual IS that can help you take a decent still shot down to 1/15s. You can also go with a pro long lens on m43, but it doubles the weight. I feel what I have is a good compromise.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One thing I am particularly enjoying about my new Sony lenses is that they have a nice, solid feel, are metal, no plastic anywhere (except on lens hoods), and they give off an aura of quality, looking sleek and elegant. They are a bit slippery, one has to hang on to them so that one doesn't slide right out of one's hands!

The most important part, the glass, is excellent, I have been very pleased with my results so far in each of the lenses I have. They're all nice and sharp, and they have especially pleasing bokeh, especially the ones which are designed to do so, where bokeh is particularly important.

When I bought my Sony NEX 7 several years ago I was impressed and delighted by the light weight and small size of those lenses, which were APS-C and among Sony's first mirrorless offerings. That was part of the attraction of going mirrorless back then. As time has gone on, though, Sony lenses have grown in heft and size, especially for full-frame mirrorless cameras. I guess the avenues of small, lightweight lenses are best experienced these days with micro 4/3 or with rangefinders......

All that said, though, there is no way of getting around the fact that if one is a serious wildlife/bird shooter, either a serious amateur or a professional who earns a living doing that, the lenses of choice are going to be large and heavy, especially the ones which are one constant aperture, usually offered on the major 300/400/500/600mm prime lenses, as opposed to many offerings of zooms which have variable apertures depending upon the focal length. My new Sony 200-600, with its comparatively slow variable aperture, is much more reasonably priced than, say, a 400 or 600mm f/2.8. It also is a bit lighter in weight, too, but a handful nonetheless!
[automerge]1581028011[/automerge]
The telephoto end is what really helps keep me on m43. It know it’s not premium glass, but my P100-300 lens only tips the scales at just over a pound. That’s 600mm FF equivalent (not all things being equal, of course), and dual IS that can help you take a decent still shot down to 1/15s. You can also go with a pro long lens on m43, but it doubles the weight. I feel what I have is a good compromise.

When I first bought my Sony RX10 IV bridge camera with its 24-600mm lens and a 1-inch sensor, I was dubious about the quality of results, but was more than pleasantly surprised once I used it in different situations and saw the possibilities.... That camera weighs just over two pounds if I recall correctly, and, well, I'll admit that it spoiled me big-time for seeing what I could get at 600mm (35mm equivalent on a 1-inch sensor). Wow, that reach of 600mm is pretty darned cool! That's one reason I've now got the Sony 200-600mm in the household now. Weight and maneuverability of the two different devices -- A7R IV with 200-600mm mounted versus grabbing my RX10 IV and quickly running out on my deck to capture something interesting -- well, there's a HUGE difference in size, weight and ability to grab and run to get the shot!!! I have no intentions of giving up that RX10 IV any time soon, as it still plays a role in my photographic life. Since I am not shooting professionally for National Geographic or any other agency, not a big deal what I choose to use when, but oh, boy, am I loving that 200-600mm! (I wouldn't mind if it did weigh a little less, though.......)

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
One thing I am particularly enjoying about my new Sony lenses is that they have a nice, solid feel, are metal, no plastic anywhere (except on lens hoods), and they give off an aura of quality, looking sleek and elegant. They are a bit slippery, one has to hang on to them so that one doesn't slide right out of one's hands!

The most important part, the glass, is excellent, I have been very pleased with my results so far in each of the lenses I have. They're all nice and sharp, and they have especially pleasing bokeh, especially the ones which are designed to do so, where bokeh is particularly important.

When I bought my Sony NEX 7 several years ago I was impressed and delighted by the light weight and small size of those lenses, which were APS-C and among Sony's first mirrorless offerings. That was part of the attraction of going mirrorless back then. As time has gone on, though, Sony lenses have grown in heft and size, especially for full-frame mirrorless cameras. I guess the avenues of small, lightweight lenses are best experienced these days with micro 4/3 or with rangefinders......

All that said, though, there is no way of getting around the fact that if one is a serious wildlife/bird shooter, either a serious amateur or a professional who earns a living doing that, the lenses of choice are going to be large and heavy, especially the ones which are one constant aperture, usually offered on the major 300/400/500/600mm prime lenses, as opposed to many offerings of zooms which have variable apertures depending upon the focal length. My new Sony 200-600, with its comparatively slow variable aperture, is much more reasonably priced than, say, a 400 or 600mm f/2.8. It also is a bit lighter in weight, too, but a handful nonetheless!
[automerge]1581028011[/automerge]

When I first bought my Sony RX10 IV bridge camera with its 24-600mm lens and a 1-inch sensor, I was dubious about the quality of results, but was more than pleasantly surprised once I used it in different situations and saw the possibilities.... That camera weighs just over two pounds if I recall correctly, and, well, I'll admit that it spoiled me big-time for seeing what I could get at 600mm (35mm equivalent on a 1-inch sensor). Wow, that reach of 600mm is pretty darned cool! That's one reason I've now got the Sony 200-600mm in the household now. Weight and maneuverability of the two different devices -- A7R IV with 200-600mm mounted versus grabbing my RX10 IV and quickly running out on my deck to capture something interesting -- well, there's a HUGE difference in size, weight and ability to grab and run to get the shot!!! I have no intentions of giving up that RX10 IV any time soon, as it still plays a role in my photographic life. Since I am not shooting professionally for National Geographic or any other agency, not a big deal what I choose to use when, but oh, boy, am I loving that 200-600mm! (I wouldn't mind if it did weigh a little less, though.......)
Yeah, the m43 pro bodies and lenses have also gone up in size and weight, but they are still proportionally smaller. My G9 is quite a bit heavier than the G85 it replaced, but even with the 100-300, it’s not much of a burden to carry around the neck for hours at a time.

You may be surprised at some publications. There’s a “published” thread at mu-43.com, where one member talks about being published in a motorcycle magazine with some regularity. He shot most of his work on a 16MP GX85 rangefinder. Portability was key since he had to travel light. Pretty amazing work he did. No doubt that some professionals will always seek the best at the cost of portability, but it’s inspiring to see people “make it” for less. I see what sideline photographers wield—no thanks! Probably a thread for another time!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That's really cool that this guy has been published with the results from his 16 MP GX85 rangefinder! I imagine that would be a small, lightweight and easily carried setup!

Yes, when looking at sports events and seeing what the shooters on the sideline are using -- definitely gives pause! Of course some of that length is due to the lens hood, but still....they are using whoppers of lenses!

When I tried out the 200-600mm lens in the store the day I was considering it, the thing already felt huge to me......after I got home and put the lens hood on it, too, I thought, "good grief!" This is not only huge but that lens hood....yikes! It really extends the overall appearance of length on that lens. Thankfully, this is a lens with internal focusing so at least what I've got is what I've got and not a big piece extending out from the lens when I want to actually zoom. It's big enough as it is!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yes, those long zooms can be pretty hefty. The Nikon 200-500mm outweighs either the Sony 200-600 or the Tamron 150-600!

Nikon: 5.07 pounds
Sony: 4.65 pounds
Tamron: 4.3 pounds

While it is possible to hand-hold lenses like these, it is really best that they be used on a tripod or with some sort of supportive, stabilizing surface!

Ah yes but unless you are carrying all three then this is merely a number on a piece of paper. When carrying it, all three are heavy artillery but it is the length that I get more huffy about as it takes up so much space.

Hand holding it is a laugh you are right. So a tripod is the best bet indeed. Or a sherpa down on all fours. lol.
[automerge]1581158289[/automerge]
Well, if it is a Leica Summilux, it is.

Or can be.

However, while a Leica Summilux may indeed be nice and portable and fast (and exquisite, and allow for shooting in conditions of low light), and relatively light to lift, heft and carry, it carries a different penalty; one that wallops your wallet.

He he he... oh yes... nowt' but Brass and glass made by hand comes at a cost. Having said that though, If I had a moment of utter insanity and sold them, I would get more for them than I paid.
[automerge]1581158352[/automerge]

If it gets the image you want, then it is plenty premium right?
[automerge]1581158473[/automerge]
Nikon 2.8 zooms aren’t much better. Probably have about £10-15k worth if I’d bought it all new.

Ouch!

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I've never shot something like the P200 2.8 or the O300 F4, but there is a pretty high cost of entry for both! Still, I'll take the trade off to have something I can carry for hours and not feel like I'm lugging it. The last trip to the zoo, I had my G9 with 100-300 lens around my neck, and my 4 year-old on my back, so I have to be ready for other payloads at any time!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ah yes but unless you are carrying all three then this is merely a number on a piece of paper. When carrying it, all three are heavy artillery but it is the length that I get more huffy about as it takes up so much space.

Hand holding it is a laugh you are right. So a tripod is the best bet indeed. Or a sherpa down on all fours. lol.
[automerge]1581158289[/automerge]

He he he... oh yes... nowt' but Brass and glass made by hand comes at a cost. Having said that though, If I had a moment of utter insanity and sold them, I would get more for them than I paid.
[automerge]1581158352[/automerge]

[automerge]1581158473[/automerge]

Ouch!

Yes, the length and heft of one of those long lenses can be a bit scary to dogs and little children! Actually, some of it is the lens hood, too, of course. Protective filters for one of these big boys can be huge and expensive as well unless it's a lens with a drop-in filter, as some are.

I'd had my 200-600 for a few days before it occurred to me that I would need to transport the thing if I were to ever shoot anything other than what I can see right off my deck. Fortunately after rummaging through my various camera bags I found my ThinkTank on wheels that is just the right size, and has room for the camera and another lens or two as well. I'm not one who can casually carry the lens over my shoulder attached to the tripod! The only other thing I do need and haven't gotten yet is a Wimberley Gimbal for it, as those work much better than a ballhead with long lenses. I had one in the past and sold it, so now need to buy another, which I need to do pretty soon. A sherpa, either on all fours or with two big, strong arms would do nicely, too! :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, the length and heft of one of those long lenses can be a bit scary to dogs and little children! Actually, some of it is the lens hood, too, of course. Protective filters for one of these big boys can be huge and expensive as well unless it's a lens with a drop-in filter, as some are.

I'd had my 200-600 for a few days before it occurred to me that I would need to transport the thing if I were to ever shoot anything other than what I can see right off my deck. Fortunately after rummaging through my various camera bags I found my ThinkTank on wheels that is just the right size, and has room for the camera and another lens or two as well. I'm not one who can casually carry the lens over my shoulder attached to the tripod! The only other thing I do need and haven't gotten yet is a Wimberley Gimbal for it, as those work much better than a ballhead with long lenses. I had one in the past and sold it, so now need to buy another, which I need to do pretty soon. A sherpa, either on all fours or with two big, strong arms would do nicely, too! :D
What's more expensive, the lens or the assistance you need to hire to carry it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.