Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machspeed007

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2018
Romania
Fuji X-T2 and Fuji X-E3. I always have the E3 in the glove compartment in my car.

I used to have a Nikon D200, D70, Olympus OM-D, PL7 also a Leica M8 and a Sony A7II. I still regret selling the M8. The A7II never clicked with me, although the image quality was very good, the usability was bad imho.
The fujis are just perfect for me right now, perfect balance between size, ergonomics and image quality (and lenses).

I've also bought a Panasonic S1 a week ago as a full frame pro camera to have when I feel that image quality is most important and for product shots I need to take for my business but it won't be a carry around kind of camera. Plus, I like the idea of being in a system close to a Leica camera body. Someday, you never know.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I Love this Camera :)
I‘m considering to switch to the A7r4 and Sell my Fuji xt2 and lenses for this beast

How is the workflow in Lightroom and Capture one with These big files on the new MacBook 16“?
It is laggy?

my first lenses would be the Sigma 14-24 2.8 Art and the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art
Incredible lenses what I read and heard.

greetings

I don't use either Lightroom or Capture One; I use DXO PhotoLab 3 primarily and occasionally Luminar 3. I tried Capture One a year or so ago and never quite got along well with it so gave up on that one.

As far as the big files, I shoot in uncompressed RAW and so far have not had any problems with the large files on my 2018 MBP with i9 processor, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM and 20 VEGA. That said, though, I haven't yet done any all-day shooting expeditions so haven't had loads of files to dump into the computer all at once; at most so far I've maybe had 75 or 90 at a time....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Last night I took a few test shots with the a7iii, it was dark and not much detail. I noticed after bringing the images into lightroom was how good the low light is, not much noise. I can tell it will be easy to edit as I won't have to make as many adjustments to make the images look good going forward. My older system needed a lot of finessing to get nice looking images.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have been pleasantly surprised with this, too! I have not needed to edit nearly as extensively as I did in the past and that is something which pleases me greatly since I don't really like the whole post-processing thing..... Part of this I can attribute, of course, to using new gear as opposed to my older camera bodies and lenses, and also to the fact that editing programs have significantly improved through the years, too.

I've heard that the A7III is great with low light, and that is definitely a benefit!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have been pleasantly surprised with this, too! I have not needed to edit nearly as extensively as I did in the past and that is something which pleases me greatly since I don't really like the whole post-processing thing..... Part of this I can attribute, of course, to using new gear as opposed to my older camera bodies and lenses, and also to the fact that editing programs have significantly improved through the years, too.

I've heard that the A7III is great with low light, and that is definitely a benefit!
Took some shots of the dog and wow the resolution is amazing. Still learning the focusing and she would not stay still but when it hits eye auto focus is great.
[automerge]1577598398[/automerge]
Picked up a somewhat decent bag and ordered a peak design strap and charger from B&H.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The eye focus thing is just amazing, isn't it? On people and on animals!

I still have not played around with my various bags to see which will work out best for the new gear. I keep the camera and lenses in an armoire, easy to reach in and grab what I want when I'm ready to shoot, but obviously when I go out somewhere with my camera and more than one lens I definitely will need to have everything safely stashed in a bag. When I first got the camera I used one of my Op/Tech neck straps that I'd removed from the old cameras but also ordered a sling-style Op/Tech for it, as I have one of those on my RX10 IV and really like it. So far I haven't gotten around to making the switch, though. I never use the straps provided with the camera, as usually they are not as comfortable.

I've heard good things about Peak Design straps and other gear but have never tried any of their products.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I bought a bag at Best Buy last night, then I get those damn emails from B&H about their mega deals and I see a great bag $80 off.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Never fails, does it! $80 off a bag is a darned good deal! Wow.....
Probably going to return the bag to Best Buy. :D

[automerge]1577645526[/automerge]
Eventually I will get a better bag from Peak Design or somewhere, this is just to hold me over and keep things safe while traveling.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My goodies from B&H arrived.
F1E4BD8F-EFC2-4BAC-A766-D33ABA29DC49.jpeg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My A7R IV came with a battery charger but I got a second one for travel, etc., before realizing that the new FZ100 batteries have much better and longer life than the ones I use in my RX10. I was surprised at how long the cable is on the one that I bought separately, as the cable on the charger which came with the camera is a fairly short one. For those who prefer to be able to skip a cable and simply plug right into the wall or surge protector, if you've got one of the "duckhead" thingies from Apple, used with the extension cables that used to come with MBPs, that works very nicely too in lieu of the external cable. I haven't tried this yet, though, but I've got a duckhead at hand ready to try when I next charge a battery.

I am already starting to get a little restless and thinking about which lens to buy next, as I need want to expand my focal lengths and shooting possibilities beyond the two macro lenses and fast short tele but just haven't decided yet and am telling myself to give the bank account at least a little more time to breathe before hitting it up again.....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My A7R IV came with a battery charger but I got a second one for travel, etc., before realizing that the new FZ100 batteries have much better and longer life than the ones I use in my RX10. I was surprised at how long the cable is on the one that I bought separately, as the cable on the charger which came with the camera is a fairly short one. For those who prefer to be able to skip a cable and simply plug right into the wall or surge protector, if you've got one of the "duckhead" thingies from Apple, used with the extension cables that used to come with MBPs, that works very nicely too in lieu of the external cable. I haven't tried this yet, though, but I've got a duckhead at hand ready to try when I next charge a battery.

I am already starting to get a little restless and thinking about which lens to buy next, as I need want to expand my focal lengths and shooting possibilities beyond the two macro lenses and fast short tele but just haven't decided yet and am telling myself to give the bank account at least a little more time to breathe before hitting it up again.....
I'm either going to get the 50 1.8 or the Tamron 35. I would love to get the 24-105 G.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The day that I went to the store to buy my new gear, I was all set -- it would be the two macro lenses and the 24-105. They even had the box with the 24-105 out on the counter for me. Instead, in a very last-minute impulsive move, I said, "I think I want the 135mm f/1.8 instead of the 24-105." I figured that the 135mm would give me a short tele but also would provide a somewhat faster lens and one which has gorgeous, creamy bokeh, which I love. I'm not sorry that I did that -- I really, really love the 135 and it is truly a fantastic lens, but I also am acutely aware that I have some gaps to fill in now in terms of focal lengths and such. I need something shorter and wider and I need something faster and I need something longer..... Well, I want, more than need..... All in good time. In the meanwhile I still do have my RX10 IV, which does give me the reach, and that will do until I am ready to buy a new lens or two for my A7R IV. The 24-105 is definitely on my short list of candidates! It sounds like a terrific all-around lens.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I use a Fujifilm X20..... I am on my second one, which replaced the first late last year after owning it for five years. I found one which was old stock, thus heavily discounted, so I bought it as my old one was a bit the worse for wear. I photograph sport, concerts, and other things involving quite a bit of activity. My photos are mainly used on various on-line pages or websites, and some have been used by the local press to go with reports.

It would be nice to have a Fujifilm xPro 2 or xPro 3 with a 50 - 140 zoom and a couple of primes, but they would be beyond my budget, so it is a matter of making the most of what I can afford.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
It seems I use my iPhone camera mostly indoors (cat pics).

For my more creative side I shoot a Nikon D750 with Nik 24-120mm f4 and the P series 70-300mm. I dearly desire the Nik 200-500mm f5.6 lens, but only if I come into some gold :)

I have got my hubby (MacMan45) a Nikon D200 and Nik 18-105mm & Nik 70-300mm f5.6 lenses. He is gob-smacked with the quality of pics he is getting from such ‘antique’ gear lol - 10mp is plenty enough for 10x8” prints and full screen viewing.

We bot plan to get out a lot more this year as part of our walking goals as well as to practise our lenscraft.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It seems I use my iPhone camera mostly indoors (cat pics).

For my more creative side I shoot a Nikon D750 with Nik 24-120mm f4 and the P series 70-300mm. I dearly desire the Nik 200-500mm f5.6 lens, but only if I come into some gold :)

I have got my hubby (MacMan45) a Nikon D200 and Nik 18-105mm & Nik 70-300mm f5.6 lenses. He is gob-smacked with the quality of pics he is getting from such ‘antique’ gear lol - 10mp is plenty enough for 10x8” prints and full screen viewing.

We bot plan to get out a lot more this year as part of our walking goals as well as to practise our lenscraft.
Trust me you don’t want to do too much walking with the 200-500mm 5.6.
But you should be able to pick up a cheap lightly used one.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, those long zooms can be pretty hefty. The Nikon 200-500mm outweighs either the Sony 200-600 or the Tamron 150-600!

Nikon: 5.07 pounds
Sony: 4.65 pounds
Tamron: 4.3 pounds

While it is possible to hand-hold lenses like these, it is really best that they be used on a tripod or with some sort of supportive, stabilizing surface!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes, those long zooms can be pretty hefty. The Nikon 200-500mm outweighs either the Sony 200-600 or the Tamron 150-600!

Nikon: 5.07 pounds
Sony: 4.65 pounds
Tamron: 4.3 pounds

While it is possible to hand-hold lenses like these, it is really best that they be used on a tripod or with some sort of supportive, stabilizing surface!
Quality glass is never light!

Reactions: Clix Pix

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, if it is a Leica Summilux, it is.

Or can be.

However, while a Leica Summilux may indeed be nice and portable and fast (and exquisite, and allow for shooting in conditions of low light), and relatively light to lift, heft and carry, it carries a different penalty; one that wallops your wallet.
Nikon 2.8 zooms aren’t much better. Probably have about £10-15k worth if I’d bought it all new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.