Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I just got a used Leica Q. After years of tinkering with vintage cameras as an enthusiast collector (not photographer), I'm happy to be diving into the basics.

I chose the Q because I knew that if the camera wasn't compact enough, I wouldn't take it with me on a daily basis. If I don't have it with me, I won't use it.

I made myself a promise to learn and try out one thing every day with the Q. A nice slow pace that is doable, and that lets me remember and integrate what I learned the day before without burning out from info overload.

Congratulations on the Q - it looks like a pleasure to use - but it’s not compact by any stretch of the imagination to me. Sure compared to a DSLR but anything I cannot carry in a shirt or pants pocket isn’t compact to me these days.

Reactions: ericgtr12

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Congratulations on the Q - it looks like a pleasure to use - but it’s not compact by any stretch of the imagination to me. Sure compared to a DSLR but anything I cannot carry in a shirt or pants pocket isn’t compact to me these days.

I get what you mean, but this one I can easily fit in the bag I carry daily - so I call it portable.

Reactions: ericgtr12

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I personally see my iPhone as my "carry with me all the time as a point and shoot" camera but when I think I may be in a position to take photos (when not on a planned shoot) I just throw my entire bag into the trunk just to be safe. Of course it's more than just a hobby for me, I'm pretty obsessed with it and have been for years so I almost never leave without it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Used to shoot Canon (5DMK3, 1MKIV, lots of Canon glass). Then it got too much to lug around. Made traveling a chore. So switched over to Sony. Currently carrying Sony A7 III. Almost always with a Sony 24-105 F4. I also have a Tamron 17-28, but hardly every carry it.

But I also take a lot of shots with my phone. Samsung Galaxy S10+. The 3 lenses are really nice.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am really loving my Sony A7R IV, which I have had now for just over a month. I haven't gone on any trips since I've had it, not even around town, but I do appreciate the lighter weight and small size of the camera body, especially when I have a heavier lens on it such as the 135mm. I haven't yet gotten the 24-105mm lens yet, but that eventually will be my general all-purpose walk-around lens. Usually when I am out-and-about just running errands and such the only camera I have with me is my iPhone. Taking the Sony and lens(es) is more of a planned event.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Well I just did something stupid.
C03D0616-893D-4712-9C89-5646147DF1D3.jpeg

Could not resist the price.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Congratulations! For a long time I was seriously considering the A7 III until somehow the A7R III lured my attention away and then later, when it came right down to it, the moment of truth when I handed over the credit card to make a purchase, and it was the A7R IV.....

I loved the A7 III when I handled it in the store. I think the combo of the A7 III and the A7R III or A7R IV would be a terrific team!

Reactions: MacNut

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Congratulations! For a long time I was seriously considering the A7 III until somehow the A7R III lured my attention away and then later, when it came right down to it, the moment of truth when I handed over the credit card to make a purchase, and it was the A7R IV.....

I loved the A7 III when I handled it in the store. I think the combo of the A7 III and the A7R III or A7R IV would be a terrific team!
With the kit lens, $600 off. Best Buy open box $400, plus the $200 Sony sale. Just could not pass it up.
[automerge]1577499537[/automerge]
It feels so much nicer untethered to security wires. You can't get a good feel of the weight and balance of it while it was locked down.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Fantastic! You really got a great deal -- wow!! The day I handled one I was in a dedicated camera shop, where the sales associate put a lens on it and handed it to me, no tether, no locked-down situation..... I played around at "shooting" with it for a few minutes (no memory card inserted, so no actual images to view). I also handled the A7R IV and a couple of Nikon mirrorless cameras (Z6, Z7) that same day.... Didn't buy anything then, was just getting a feel (literally) for what I'd been thinking about for so long and that day it was time to actually handle what was available, see the options, discuss them with a knowledgeable person.....

A week or so later I returned, ready to buy, having made my decision. If at some point I decide I want a second ILC mirrorless body, the A7 III would be right at the top of my list. It is a terrific camera and it is no surprise that it is so popular -- there is good reason for that.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Fantastic! You really got a great deal -- wow!! The day I handled one I was in a dedicated camera shop, where the sales associate put a lens on it and handed it to me, no tether, no locked-down situation..... I played around at "shooting" with it for a few minutes (no memory card inserted, so no actual images to view). I also handled the A7R IV and a couple of Nikon mirrorless cameras (Z6, Z7) that same day.... Didn't buy anything then, was just getting a feel (literally) for what I'd been thinking about for so long and that day it was time to actually handle what was available, see the options, discuss them with a knowledgeable person.....

A week or so later I returned, ready to buy, having made my decision. If at some point I decide I want a second ILC mirrorless body, the A7 III would be right at the top of my list. It is a terrific camera and it is no surprise that it is so popular -- there is good reason for that.
Now I need to learn how to use this thing. So many more bells and whistles than my old camera. Plus I need to start buying accessories. Lusting after the new Tamron, 24mm and 35mm that they are releasing.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I hear you on that!!! I bought three lenses from the get-go (I had traded in gear in order to be able to afford both the purchase of the camera plus accessories [extra battery, memory cards, filters, Arca-Swiss plate for using with the tripod] and of course, most importantly, an extra lens or two...) Even at that I went over budget and instead of buying the 24-105mm lens I had intended and which was already set out on the counter for me, rather last-minute-impulsively I bought another more expensive lens instead, the 135mm f/1.8, and while I don't regret that and absolutely love that lens, I am still feeling the gap in the lower end of the focal range, one which I will indeed need to fill in at some point, preferably before or in early springtime. I've been reading about the new Tamron lenses and others, but probably when my bank account has recovered from this recent major hit will go with a couple more Sony lenses....I definitely need -- err, want -- something in the 24mm - 70mm range, either a zoom covering that range or a 24mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 fast prime or a 35mm fast prime, as while my 50mm f/2.8 macro prime will do for general shooting when needed, it doesn't always work well in the situation. That said, the reality is that I do tend to shoot mostly with somewhat longer lenses and macro lenses, hence my initial lens choices of two macros and one fast longer lens......

I also am already lusting after the 200-600mm lens, although I haven't handled one yet so am not really sure if it would be physically comfortable for me to handle on a regular basis, with or without tripod. We have so many ducks and geese and other wildlife out on our little lake here that I'm just itching for a lens with which to really capture them in great detail...... I've had a lot of fun and surprising success with my RX10 IV (a "bridge" camera) and its long lens (600mm / 35mm equivalent on a 1 inch sensor) and now of course I keep thinking about how much more detail a full-frame 61 MP camera body and an appropriate (i.e., 200-600mm) lens could capture..... LOL!

So many lenses, so many dreams of what one could do with them.... :)

But, yes, aside from all that there is the necessary time to be spent in learning one's way around a new camera body and its various dials and buttons and the menu system. Have fun with all of this!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I really should not have bought it tonight but I know that deal was going to be gone quick. I also know the Sony deal will be ending soon. This will get me out shooting again. My old gear was getting stale and I didn't feel like using it or showing off the pictures it produced.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Sounds like me -- For a long time I was feeling that way about most of my Nikon gear and then eventually found myself more and more reaching for the RX10 or the RX100 cameras instead....but each of them had limitations, of course.

You were smart to grab this Sony A7 III deal while you could, while it was right there in front of you in the store!! Wow!! That was a terrific deal!

OK, waiting to see some images coming along soon once you've gotten a feel for this camera..... :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sounds like me -- For a long time I was feeling that way about most of my Nikon gear and then eventually found myself more and more reaching for the RX10 or the RX100 cameras instead....but each of them had limitations, of course.

You were smart to grab this Sony A7 III deal while you could, while it was right there in front of you in the store!! Wow!! That was a terrific deal!

OK, waiting to see some images coming along soon once you've gotten a feel for this camera..... :)
Being able to shoot in low light will be exciting. My old camera really struggled with that. Took quite the leap from 4/3 to full frame.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, going from micro 4/3 to full frame is a huge leap!!! You'll notice that most when trying to shoot photos with a longer lens and not being able to reach out to the same extent as was possible with m4/3. You'll get so much more detail, though......

Being able to shoot in low light is really important, and that is something which is great with FF..... Even though we've now got much better flexibility when it comes to ISO it still is best to stay in a lower ISO range when possible and that is achievable with a fast lens opened up wide......

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, going from micro 4/3 to full frame is a huge leap!!! You'll notice that most when trying to shoot photos with a longer lens and not being able to reach out to the same extent as was possible with m4/3. You'll get so much more detail, though......

Being able to shoot in low light is really important, and that is something which is great with FF..... Even though we've now got much better flexibility when it comes to ISO it still is best to stay in a lower ISO range when possible and that is achievable with a fast lens opened up wide......
I have an actual 4/3. Before micro became a thing.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It's the kit 28-70. I've heard for a kit lens it's not horrible. I'd probably replace it with the Tamron 28-75 since that has a constant 2.8.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That's a good range, though, 28-70......I agree that when you're ready that replacing it with the Tamron 28-75 would be a good idea because of the constant and consistent f/2.8. Variable f/stops can be problematic.

Enjoy experimenting with your new camera over the next few days and that will give you a really good idea of where you want to go in the future in terms of lenses, etc.!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They said everything was in the box but I think I'm missing the sync cable. At least this is usb-c to match my MBP.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Well I just did something stupid. View attachment 885140
Could not resist the price.
My friend watches the best buy open box case like a hawk.

He has scored some absolutely amazing deals, and that was actually how I ended up getting my a7rii and a few of my lenses.

Protip is that they are actually able to make deals lower then the price on the box. I have had them knock another 10-20% or even more in rare instances off of open box gear.

The best time to go is right after a major event in your area. Graduation day, big sporting event etc.

People buy the cameras use them once, and take them right back.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I was thinking that even if Sony were to discount the a7iii it would not be $600 off for at least 3 more years. I’d imagine we might see the a7iv this year but Sony won’t drop the line that much.

enemy14123

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Vienna

I Love this Camera :)
I‘m considering to switch to the A7r4 and Sell my Fuji xt2 and lenses for this beast

How is the workflow in Lightroom and Capture one with These big files on the new MacBook 16“?
It is laggy?

my first lenses would be the Sigma 14-24 2.8 Art and the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art
Incredible lenses what I read and heard.

greetings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.