Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pisces11

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
I m using canon 550D with 50mm lens and I also have 70/330 full zoom lens and with double battery backup...

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Some oddities here. I currently have:

Leica S-E Type 006 - medium format CCD sensor, lovely image quality, lovely handling, uncomplicated yet is tough, has switchable shutter types and adapted to use Hasselblad HC lenses.

Hasselblad HD3II-39 - medium format CCD sensor, lovely image quality, lovely handling etc. The Leica is a little smaller, lighter and more versatile so this one was meant to be sold by now but I am having problems parting with it.

That ccd Kodak sensor is still brilliant even today. I've been tempted to pick up a Pentax 645D because of how cheap they have became on the used market.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Yes, both the Leica and Hasselblad have Kodak CCD sensors. They do give a quality to the images that I really like as long as I keep to base ISO. Not a problem for me as I lug around tripods and lights. I would love to experiment with some of the older CCD backs with even bigger pixels.

Reactions: fathergll

Varmann

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
Started out in the early 80´s with a Olympus OM-1 which got a lot of wear and tear in mountains and caves.
After a couple of years I upgraded to a more durable Canon F1n, a wonderful tool that served me well.
Complemented it with a Mamiya RB67 and an old school Leica III.

Moved and lost my darkroom at the dawn of digital photo. Tried to keep up using film/scanner but it was cumbersome. Found digital cameras too complex for my liking. Did almost stop taking pictures.

Ten years ago I took a leap and bought a Leica M9. For me it was a perfect combination of good image quality, a sturdy build with a nice feel and most important, a very simple user interface for someone who likes classic manual photography.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Started out in the early 80´s with a Olympus OM-1 which got a lot of wear and tear in mountains and caves.
After a couple of years I upgraded to a more durable Canon F1n, a wonderful tool that served me well.
Complemented it with a Mamiya RB67 and an old school Leica III.

Moved and lost my darkroom at the dawn of digital photo. Tried to keep up using film/scanner but it was cumbersome. Found digital cameras too complex for my liking. Did almost stop taking pictures.

Ten years ago I took a leap and bought a Leica M9. For me it was a perfect combination of good image quality, a sturdy build with a nice feel and most important, a very simple user interface for someone who likes classic manual photography.
There’s a few M9 owners on here.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Just made what feels like a quantum leap to me right now -- I am now the happy new owner of a Sony A7R IV plus three lenses (50mm f/2.8 macro, 90mm f/2.8 G macro, and 135mm GM f/1.8). Haven't used the new gear yet, waiting for the battery to charge and then I'll go through the setup process and all that. Probably won't be until tomorrow that I actually shoot anything worthwhile, and even at that it may take a while since this thing has 61mp and amazing resolving power so even with IBIS it will probably show every mistake I make in handling it!

This is a decision which has been a very long time in coming and finally today was the time to get off the pot and actually take action. My primary interest is in macro and so I focused on getting those two lenses right off the bat, but had been considering the 24-105 as a general walk-around lens but, well.....that fabulous 135mm GM f/1.8 "bokeh queen" kept singing the siren song to me. I can always buy the 24-105 later, or a 70-200, whatever....I just couldn't resist that siren song!!

In order to help finance this, yes, I had to come to grips with the decision to let go of all of my Nikon gear -- bodies, lenses, etc., -- and that was really hard, which is one reason it has taken me well over a year to do anything. This is the first time since around the late 1980's that I have not owned and used a Nikon camera and lens(es). I still remember the day that I moved from a Minolta SLR to a Nikon SLR, and the joy and pride that I felt, actually sort of awe and whether or not I was really "ready," because at that time, Nikon was pretty much considered "the gold standard." (Yes, I know Canon users disagree!). Nikon has served me well over several decades and I will always have a love for it, and I'll miss it.

Right now the new A7R IV and its three lenses are sitting on my dining table ready to spring into action and hopefully in a couple of days I'll have a nice shot or two to share....

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Just made what feels like a quantum leap to me right now -- I am now the happy new owner of a Sony A7R IV plus three lenses (50mm f/2.8 macro, 90mm f/2.8 G macro, and 135mm GM f/1.8). Haven't used the new gear yet, waiting for the battery to charge and then I'll go through the setup process and all that. Probably won't be until tomorrow that I actually shoot anything worthwhile, and even at that it may take a while since this thing has 61mp and amazing resolving power so even with IBIS it will probably show every mistake I make in handling it!

This is a decision which has been a very long time in coming and finally today was the time to get off the pot and actually take action. My primary interest is in macro and so I focused on getting those two lenses right off the bat, but had been considering the 24-105 as a general walk-around lens but, well.....that fabulous 135mm GM f/1.8 "bokeh queen" kept singing the siren song to me. I can always buy the 24-105 later, or a 70-200, whatever....I just couldn't resist that siren song!!

In order to help finance this, yes, I had to come to grips with the decision to let go of all of my Nikon gear -- bodies, lenses, etc., -- and that was really hard, which is one reason it has taken me well over a year to do anything. This is the first time since around the late 1980's that I have not owned and used a Nikon camera and lens(es). I still remember the day that I moved from a Minolta SLR to a Nikon SLR, and the joy and pride that I felt, actually sort of awe and whether or not I was really "ready," because at that time, Nikon was pretty much considered "the gold standard." (Yes, I know Canon users disagree!). Nikon has served me well over several decades and I will always have a love for it, and I'll miss it.

Right now the new A7R IV and its three lenses are sitting on my dining table ready to spring into action and hopefully in a couple of days I'll have a nice shot or two to share....
Congratulations! Sounds like one heckofa kit.

Reactions: Clix Pix

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa

Good luck with it !!!! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks! Right now I am still in this mixed emotional state of sadness over letting go of my Nikon gear and excitement about my new Sony gear..... Lots of thought went into making the final decision -- the entire process has taken well over a year, actually! -- and a lot of factors came into play which I needed to consider before taking the leap. If I had not already been familiar with Sony cameras and so had used them and a few lenses over the years, I think the outcome might have been different, but it was very helpful to me to be able to assess the options from some level of experience with each system, and to look at what was currently available in each manufacturer's mirrorless line and what still needs to come down the pike....along with my own personal needs and preferences.

Actually, I'm still sitting here pinching myself -- I did it, I really DID it! -- and then looking over at the dining table with the evidence sitting right there to assure me that, yep, I did......

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Same sort of feeling when I got the G9. It was my first higher end camera body, and the quality just makes you want to go use it. Same with the Leica lens I just got. I almost went with a Sony FF, but I felt it wasn’t the best format for my needs and budget.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, there's that, too, the whole higher-end thing...... I have (oops, had) a Nikon D3 and was comfortable with using that, but things have changed quite a bit since the time that camera was released. This new Sony A7R IV is really rather intimidating on the surface, but I keep reminding myself that there will be features and functions that I won't be using, and that's fine, just use what I need and want and the rest of it is there when I'm ready......

Choosing the best camera and lens system for one's budget and photographic needs and desires is absolutely of prime importance. That is one reason it took me so long to arrive at the store making today's purchase, as I have spent the last year or so figuring out exactly what IS important to me, what WILL work out best for my photographic aspirations (what do I really love to shoot? Why? What do I need to do this?) and, well, yeah, there's the budget, too..... I really did have to take into consideration what I would be spending and how each lens I was considering would work best for me and therefore be worth the money spent on it, etc.

I only made up my mind at the last minute about that 135mm f/1.8, as I had been thinking more in terms of an all-purpose 24-105 zoom lens......but for long zooms I already have the Sony RX10 M4 24-600mm, which has done well by me much of the time. Yeah, that's on a small 1-inch sensor, though..... So when thinking about everything seriously I realized that, even though this new lens is pretty expensive and also rather heavy to carry around, it actually would probably be far more useful and satisfying to me than the 24-105mm I'd earlier been considering. Over time I may add another lens or two to expand my repertoire, but for the moment this particular trio is going to be getting a workout from me!

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
FujiFilm X-H1 with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses, Nikon FM2 manual film camera. Also have a FujiFilm X-T2, but will be selling that soon to help pay for a new prime lens.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'd pretty much ditched crop sensor cameras a while back, but they still have their uses and it's been bugging me for a while that I should get something newer than the D300s. It was good in its day, but its day has now long passed and leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd pretty well decided on grabbing a used D7200, and still think it's a heck of a camera(I ruled out a D7500 due to the absence of an AI feeler tab).

Finally, I went into the local camera store last week intent on buying one, and instead walked out with a nice, lightly used D500. A few things sold me on it, including the better low light performance, build quality and overall responsiveness vs. the D7200. I think I would have been fine/happy with either, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on the D500.

I haven't really had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but so far I like it.

One thing I have sort of enjoyed playing with is Snapbridge, as its my first camera capable of it. My usual complaints about the user-friendliness of Nikon software remain, and it took a few attempts to get it paired with my Xr. I did get it, though. I opted to NOT do automatic image transfer, as I really don't want that filling up storage space on my phone. I do like that I don't need the cumbersome hotshoe attachment to get GPS data, though, although I had an occasion a few days ago where I was counting on having it and for whatever reason the camera hadn't automatically paired so I didn't get it.

So far, though, I do really like the camera and it's definitely a "Baby D5" beast.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd pretty much ditched crop sensor cameras a while back, but they still have their uses and it's been bugging me for a while that I should get something newer than the D300s. It was good in its day, but its day has now long passed and leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd pretty well decided on grabbing a used D7200, and still think it's a heck of a camera(I ruled out a D7500 due to the absence of an AI feeler tab).

Finally, I went into the local camera store last week intent on buying one, and instead walked out with a nice, lightly used D500. A few things sold me on it, including the better low light performance, build quality and overall responsiveness vs. the D7200. I think I would have been fine/happy with either, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on the D500.

I haven't really had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but so far I like it.

One thing I have sort of enjoyed playing with is Snapbridge, as its my first camera capable of it. My usual complaints about the user-friendliness of Nikon software remain, and it took a few attempts to get it paired with my Xr. I did get it, though. I opted to NOT do automatic image transfer, as I really don't want that filling up storage space on my phone. I do like that I don't need the cumbersome hotshoe attachment to get GPS data, though, although I had an occasion a few days ago where I was counting on having it and for whatever reason the camera hadn't automatically paired so I didn't get it.

So far, though, I do really like the camera and it's definitely a "Baby D5" beast.
Enjoy. I have a D7100 and it only gets used with my 200-500mm lens for wildlife.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I shoot with a Nikon d750. It's got 175,000 exposures on it which means its in its twilight years. I love that camera and I have no intention to go mirrorless anytime soon. BTW, I'm not trying to start a fight with that statement. The way I shoot won't benefit as much from going mirrorless so I'll ride out the end days of the dSLR and let mirrorless models mature more.

There's believed to be a d750 replacement coming very soon and Best Buy is discounting the d750's they have in stock to $999 for Black Friday. At that price, I can't pass it up. I'm planning on buying the next in line to the d750, but a new d750 will give me the option to make that purchase entirely on my own timeline and besides, I shoot enough these days that I really need a reliable second body.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I shoot with a Nikon d750. It's got 175,000 exposures on it which means its in its twilight years. I love that camera and I have no intention to go mirrorless anytime soon. BTW, I'm not trying to start a fight with that statement. The way I shoot won't benefit as much from going mirrorless so I'll ride out the end days of the dSLR and let mirrorless models mature more.

There's believed to be a d750 replacement coming very soon and Best Buy is discounting the d750's they have in stock to $999 for Black Friday. At that price, I can't pass it up. I'm planning on buying the next in line to the d750, but a new d750 will give me the option to make that purchase entirely on my own timeline and besides, I shoot enough these days that I really need a reliable second body.
I’m with you. D750 for a while yet here.

Reactions: smirking

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I’ve got a camera for every situation that I need one:
  • iPhone XS Max - with me all the time
  • Nikon A300 point and shoot for when I need a bit of optical zoom in a pocket sized camera
  • Canon DSLR with a couple of lenses for when I want to be a bit more “serious”
  • GoPro Hero 7 for adventure and video

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)

No one will argue with you here! We just want you to click and be happy! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.