Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of iOS 7?

• It's great! Very few problems

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • It's good, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 148 46.3%
  • Not good. It needs a lot of work

Votes: 53 16.6%
  • It's terrible

Votes: 31 9.7%

• Total voters

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
OKAY WAIT. Has iOS not evolved or has it changed to ape Android? We can't have it both ways, folks.

Sorry, I don't get the 'aping Android' statement. My comment is about how Apple rolled out a new OS that simply isn't ready for prime time. And that at one time Apple had the best hardware and a stable OS. Now, both Android devices and Window devices have caught up on the hardware front and both are much more stable than what I've experienced with iOS 7.

It has nothing to so with copying anything. I couldn't care less which OS does something first, or seems to copy a good idea. I just want my tablet to function seamlessly and right now my $1000 Air is worse than my $200 kindle HD.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
First of all, "Android UI" is a very general concept, since every vendor uses a different UI. And if you speak about vanilla Android, well, NO there is nothing similar in iOS 7.

----------

It's just not true.
I still have to see a single crash on both my iPhone and mi iPad.
If your crashes all the time you have a defective unit or something wrong with your software.

No way. Are you trying to tell me that with all the people complaining about the same thing I AM WRONG and I AM LYING? lol the only person lying here is you, to yourself :rolleyes:

I have used nearly every Apple product since the iPhone 3GS and have never had a browsing experience this bad.

Going back to the tech industry reviews though. You have to wonder how much you can actually trust them. I mean, to review a product you have to spend a good amount of time with it, however I never saw any mention of Safari crashes in any of the iPad Air or Retina iPad Mini reviews I read. Slightly worrying that something this prominent went unmentioned.

When iOS 7.1 arrives I am going to clean install all of my iOS devices with it and see where we are. I'm told tabs still refresh all the time though. Why? Why does that happen when it didnt used to happen on my old iPad 3 running iOS6?

Last edited:

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Love the OS, the new features etc. The only things I don't like is the "flat" look. It still has not grown on me. I much prefer the older icons etc. (Yeah, I know, shallow, but still, LOL).

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
We've got three iP 4's, three iP 4S's, and an iP 5s in my family. All of them are on iOS 7. No complaints. Everyone is happy.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No way. Are you trying to tell me that with all the people complaining about the same thing I AM WRONG and I AM LYING? lol the only person lying here is you, to yourself :rolleyes:

I have used nearly every Apple product since the iPhone 3GS and have never had a browsing experience this bad.

Going back to the tech industry reviews though. You have to wonder how much you can actually trust them. I mean, to review a product you have to spend a good amount of time with it, however I never saw any mention of Safari crashes in any of the iPad Air or Retina iPad Mini reviews I read. Slightly worrying that something this prominent went unmentioned.

When iOS 7.1 arrives I am going to clean install all of my iOS devices with it and see where we are. I'm told tabs still refresh all the time though. Why? Why does that happen when it didnt used to happen on my old iPad 3 running iOS6?
The people not complaining are far more than people complaining , so I'm not lying to anyone ....
Safari is buggy, regarding memory management, but is far from being unusable or "crashing everyday".
I trust very much review by sites like anandtech or ars technica , because they are competent and unbiased.
And their experience is always the same I got.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
The people not complaining are far more than people complaining , so I'm not lying to anyone ....
Safari is buggy, regarding memory management, but is far from being unusable or "crashing everyday".
I trust very much review by sites like anandtech or ars technica , because they are competent and unbiased.
And their experience is always the same I got.

Okay then, you must be right, I have a hardware issue with both my immaculate iPad Air and my immaculate Retina iPad Mini. How unlucky am I? Both of these devices have a failure performing the exact same task: browsing the web with Safari.

We are both Apple fans but the difference is that I will admit when something is not up to scratch and you seem to be from the camp that pretends its not happening. I'm sorry but its absolutely rubbish performance.

Oh and I didnt say Safari crashes every day, I said Safari crashes multiple times every day ;)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Okay then, you must be right, I have a hardware issue with both my immaculate iPad Air and my immaculate Retina iPad Mini. How unlucky am I? Both of these devices have a failure performing the exact same task: browsing the web with Safari.

We are both Apple fans but the difference is that I will admit when something is not up to scratch and you seem to be from the camp that pretends its not happening. I'm sorry but its absolutely rubbish performance.

Oh and I didnt say Safari crashes every day, I said Safari crashes multiple times every day ;)
I didn't say that ...
With a little research on my posts you could easily find that I evidenced the issue of memory leakage in Safari and performed several tests, ending up in installing Mercury browser that isn't perfect but surely is much better.

According to my iPad, the last LowMemory reports is from 1st February .... And I'm using my iPad every single day for several hours a day.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Max(IT) said:
If your crashes all the time you have a defective unit or something wrong with your software.

Sir Ruben said:

Max(IT) said:
I didn't say that ...

That's exactly what you said max you naughty little flibber :D.

Max(IT) said:
Safari is buggy, regarding memory management, but is far from being unusable or "crashing everyday"

Max(IT) said:
ending up in installing Mercury browser that isn't perfect but surely is much better

...but Safari was bad enough that you switched to a completely different browser. You seem conflicted.

SilverGhost

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Love the OS, the new features etc. The only things I don't like is the "flat" look. It still has not grown on me. I much prefer the older icons etc. (Yeah, I know, shallow, but still, LOL).

Seems to me that we either like something or we don't. If you don't like the FLAT look, no problem saying it's a huge step backward.

All these people that say they LOVE the new graphics, which are devoid of depth, color or imagination, remind me of the art "experts" in an art gallery. They come up with all sorts of artsy-speak to show others how in-the-know they are in the art world.

In reality, they don't care for non-art either, but don't have the guts to come out and admit it. Better to go along with crowds of sheep.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I loved it four months ago, I love it even more now. I get that some don't like it, and unfortunately for them I think that Apple are well aware of the fact that some of their userbase were never going to like it, and they're ok with that - pleasing all the existing users AND potential new users with a new OS fit for today was never going to be easy, or without casualties.

I do find it funny hearing people put IOS 6 on some kind of pedestal. As an IOS user since 2008, as far as I'm concerned IOS 6 was really not that hot. It was buggier than many will admit now, it was quite dated, and it had long since lost the purity of the original IOS design. A new vision was definitely needed, and that's what IOS 7 delivered.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Tremendous advancement in iOS, but needs a lot more polish to reach Apples usual level.

Tremendous advancement? What, new visuals and worse performance under the hood?
Name me one thing that iOS7 does better than iOS6 apart from the 'fresh new look', just one thing that people use every day. Don't tell me the crappy and cheap looking control centre either. I use that maybe once a week and even then I would be quite happy to dive into settings.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Name me one thing that iOS7 does better than iOS6 apart from the 'fresh new look', just one thing that people use every day. Don't tell me the crappy and cheap looking control centre either. I use that maybe once a week and even then I would be quite happy to dive into settings.

Control center and multitasking switch alone for me are miles ahead of iOS 6 experience.
Capability to allow cellular data for single app.
iOS 7 is better in any way ....

And worse performance in what ? Animations ?
Apps execution isn't any slower.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I didn't say that ...
With a little research on my posts you could easily find that I evidenced the issue of memory leakage in Safari and performed several tests, ending up in installing Mercury browser that isn't perfect but surely is much better.

then you must be of the opinion that if apple cant release a browser without issues it should allow users a choice of default right?

Control center and multitasking switch alone for me are miles ahead of iOS 6 experience.

not necessarily in comparison to ios6 but what about how much more space the message app uses in comparison to previous version.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
then you must be of the opinion that if apple cant release a browser without issues it should allow users a choice of default right?

not necessarily in comparison to ios6 but what about how much more space the message app uses in comparison to previous version.

Actually I'm of the opinion that Apple SHOULD release a browser without issues. I'd like to return to Safari as soon as possible to keep it sync'ed with my other Apple devices.

What do you mean with "more space the message app uses" ???

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Actually I'm of the opinion that Apple SHOULD release a browser without issues. I'd like to return to Safari as soon as possible to keep it sync'ed with my other Apple devices.

What do you mean with "more space the message app uses" ???

should yes but since it cant guarantee it then what?

texts take up much more space in ios7 (perhaps ios6 as well) than in previous versions.

there are multiple threads online about people having no choice but to delete all their texts because its gotten bigger than a few gb.

for comparisons sake a text db from ios4 (no mms) with roughly 8000 texts takes up 1.1 mb. in ios7 the very same db is suddenly much bigger and growing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm happy with iOS7, sure it needs some work, but overall its a solid OS. I've gotten used to the icons, though I've never hated them.

I'm hoping 7.1 fixes a good deal of bugs and brings some increased functionality.

I'm not using the beta, and I've largely not interacted with the beta threads so I'm not familiar with a lot of the details in 7.1

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

I'm with sunking101 here... I think "tremendous advancement" is an exaggeration, possibly from the hype. The task switcher already existed, and had access to more apps in less gestures, as well as working quicker, than in iOS 7... It just looks different because you get a preview of the apps. Control centre is okay but it's hardly revolutionary, and the lack of user defined buttons on the bottom is pretty silly.

Sure there are some minor additions, such as blocked numbers, but that's what makes it am incremental upgrade.

Sadly, much of that "tremendous advancement" came with performance and OS navigation speed costs.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Glad I started this thread. It proves that people who say "iOS 7 sucks, iOS 7 is ugly, blah blah blah" are in the minority.

I'm happy with iOS 7, but of course it needs work. Any problems should be gone by iOS 8.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009

Let me count the ways –

Previews in multitasking – making it much easier to check and compare info between open apps without having to actually switch in and out of the apps in question.

Not needing an ad-laden third party app just to use the flashlight – and yes, the rest of the excellent control centre which I rely on daily.

Background refresh.

The way that just changing the wallpaper also changes the look of so much else (the dock, the keypad, folders, etc etc).

Being able to slide anywhere on the screen to unlock, and not worry about missing the track at the bottom.

The much, much more solid wifi performance on my iPhone 5 (which was previously very flaky on IOS 6).

The fact that the music app now remembers what song I was listening to – after IOS 6 introduced the maddening bug where playlists (including “shuffle all music” would frequently skip back several songs and repeat the same ones over and over.

The battery life. Controversial I know, but in all seriousness – the best I’ve ever had from my iPhone in five years of IOS use.

Swiping left and right in Safari and elsewhere.

All the photostream improvements, which my family and I use all the time – shared posting to a single stream, video support, the activity stream that lets you see all the new pics and comments in one place..

Appstore auto-updating – massive improvement.

Being able to swipe down from any homescreen for Spotlight (one gesture vs button pushing and swiping).

Multiple pages in folders – no more “Games 1”, Games 2” etc.

I really could go on and on. Don’t kid yourself – IOS 6 has nothing on this OS as far as I’m concerned.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Let me count the ways –

Previews in multitasking – making it much easier to check and compare info between open apps without having to actually switch in and out of the apps in question.

Not needing an ad-laden third party app just to use the flashlight – and yes, the rest of the excellent control centre which I rely on daily.

Background refresh.

The way that just changing the wallpaper also changes the look of so much else (the dock, the keypad, folders, etc etc).

Being able to slide anywhere on the screen to unlock, and not worry about missing the track at the bottom.

The much, much more solid wifi performance on my iPhone 5 (which was previously very flaky on IOS 6).

The fact that the music app now remembers what song I was listening to – after IOS 6 introduced the maddening bug where playlists (including “shuffle all music” would frequently skip back several songs and repeat the same ones over and over.

The battery life. Controversial I know, but in all seriousness – the best I’ve ever had from my iPhone in five years of IOS use.

Swiping left and right in Safari and elsewhere.

All the photostream improvements, which my family and I use all the time – shared posting to a single stream, video support, the activity stream that lets you see all the new pics and comments in one place..

Appstore auto-updating – massive improvement.

Being able to swipe down from any homescreen for Spotlight (one gesture vs button pushing and swiping).

Multiple pages in folders – no more “Games 1”, Games 2” etc.

I really could go on and on. Don’t kid yourself – IOS 6 has nothing on this OS as far as I’m concerned.

Losing at least one third of my previous battery life compared to iOS6 is the killer for me, so if your battery life is actually better then I can see why you would have few issues with iOS7.

The new way of multitasking adds nothing for me and nor does the inbuilt torch, I had an app for that. My WiFi performance is no different and the Safari left/right swiping is more bother than it's worth. Frequently this feature messes things up for me, like when I'm trying to swipe to the sides of a slow website and suddenly I'm onto some site I used earlier. Or when I'm typing a comment onto a website, scroll left or right to check for errors before posting and suddenly I'm onto a previous website and upon scrolling back my unfinished comment is lost. Annoying.
I never use the music player and the rest of the points you list are basically aesthetic.
No tremendous improvements for me; just a massive battery hit, Safari crashes & annoyances, slower app loading, dreadful calendar and lousy colours in the text app.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Evertying Max(IT) said, in addition the better security features, no limit in folder size, and so on.

On the minus side is the new super white UI. Not a big fan of that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm with sunking101 here... I think "tremendous advancement" is an exaggeration, possibly from the hype. The task switcher already existed, and had access to more apps in less gestures, as well as working quicker, than in iOS 7... It just looks different because you get a preview of the apps. Control centre is okay but it's hardly revolutionary, and the lack of user defined buttons on the bottom is pretty silly.

Sure there are some minor additions, such as blocked numbers, but that's what makes it am incremental upgrade.

Sadly, much of that "tremendous advancement" came with performance and OS navigation speed costs.

For me iOS 6 was just inferior in any way to iOS 7.
I'm not completely happy with it, to be honest, because of Safari and memory management behavior. But it's much better than any previous version.

----------

Glad I started this thread. It proves that people who say "iOS 7 sucks, iOS 7 is ugly, blah blah blah" are in the minority.

I'm happy with iOS 7, but of course it needs work. Any problems should be gone by iOS 8.

On this forum, haters and naysayers are louder, but still a minority ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.