Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of iOS 7?

• It's great! Very few problems

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • It's good, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 148 46.3%
  • Not good. It needs a lot of work

Votes: 53 16.6%
  • It's terrible

Votes: 31 9.7%

• Total voters

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
For me iOS 6 was just inferior in any way to iOS 7.
I'm not completely happy with it, to be honest, because of Safari and memory management behavior. But it's much better than any previous version.

It's just important to recognize that what may be better in your standards may not hold true to another. Everyone has different values... some people need new looks and features, some people need stability and performance. iOS 7 has, for now at least, hindered the latter in favor of the former.

I'm glad you prefer iOS 7 in "any way", but it's not harmful to be critical of some of Apple's decisions... I mean when the notification needs Location Services in order to tell me the same thing that the Weather app does without it, and then goes on a big spiel about the weather without telling me the temperature.... or telling you that you have events, but not what they are.. :rolleyes:

Just try to understand that some people absolutely loved the iOS environment prior to iOS 7... that's the only reason it's been so successful.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Just try to understand that some people absolutely loved the iOS environment prior to iOS 7... that's the only reason it's been so successful.

What does this even mean? It wasn't like iOS7 was there before and it got rejected. You're acting like the UI is "the only reason" it's been successful. Or even that the UI was a significant reason at ALL.

News flash: iOS was successful because 1) the iPhone was revolutionary when it got first released and 2) its incredibly robust app store. The VAST majority of people don't really give a flying **** about the UI itself as long as they can open their apps and send text messages. That's why Android has such a huge market share. It's not that the phones are that much better, it's that most people aren't even remotely concerned about what their OS runs as long as the stuff they want to do is available.

Your comment is FURTHER pointless because by that logic every previous iteration of any OS is "the only reason" that OS has been successful and therefore any criticisms of it in favor of later improvements are invalid and apply just as much to 6 vs 7 as 5 vs 6, 4 vs 5, OS 9 vs OSX, Windows 95 vs XP, and Windows 3 vs Win95.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
What does this even mean? It wasn't like iOS7 was there before and it got rejected. You're acting like the UI is "the only reason" it's been successful. Or even that the UI was a significant reason at ALL.

News flash: iOS was successful because 1) the iPhone was revolutionary when it got first released and 2) its incredibly robust app store. The VAST majority of people don't really give a flying **** about the UI itself as long as they can open their apps and send text messages. That's why Android has such a huge market share. It's not that the phones are that much better, it's that most people aren't even remotely concerned about what their OS runs as long as the stuff they want to do is available.

Your comment is FURTHER pointless because by that logic every previous iteration of any OS is "the only reason" that OS has been successful and therefore any criticisms of it in favor of later improvements are invalid and apply just as much to 6 vs 7 as 5 vs 6, 4 vs 5, OS 9 vs OSX, Windows 95 vs XP, and Windows 3 vs Win95.

Relax and I will explain my post, and you'll understand the context.

Your take on what made iOS so successful is pretty short-sighted... there was a lot to it. One of the things people loved about it was its smoothness.. many even refer to responsiveness as "Apple-like". Other things were its stability, reliability, and ease of use. Things were easy to read, to see and interact with, to identify. Some of these elements have been changed, and not for the better.

Suggesting that the UI isn't significant at all to Apple's success is quite strange... the UI is what sets these devices apart in terms of using them.

Dismissing those who prefer iOS 6 because iOS 7 is better in every way is not only condescending, but can be ignorant. It isn't better in every single way, and some people may be more attached to the elements that have been lost than others.

Sure, put my logic against other systems that I'm not talking about here... In a sense, you're agreeing with me. New Apple devices would have sold in massive amounts even if iOS 7 didn't overhaul the appearance, or if it was even buggier... The reason the demand is so high is because of the huge following created by the years of iOS and its devices; it doesn't really speak to whether or not iOS 7 is better than 6, or in what ways it is or isn't.

My point is simply that people around here can be pretty harsh on those who prefer iOS 6, or even just elements of it, which up until 4-5 months ago, was current. It was a highly refined and polished OS for most users, and many users are not finding that (yet) with 7. Many design and usability elements are questionable, and performance/speed/stability issues have been introduced.

TL;DR: Try to understand that some people may prefer some/many aspects of iOS 6 over 7 for solid reasons.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
It's good, not GREAT, but good. Step in the right direction, but still way behind Android. Jailbreak helps solved some of those issues though

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I enjoy it a lot. It could obviously be better in certain aspects but overall I think it's an upgrade from prior versions of iOS.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
The only thing iOS 7 did to me is learning to admire Android.

I'm all for competition which is why I'm glad Android is around. Windows didn't start getting usable until Linux became a threat. Sadly, Android still sucks. Haven't been impressed with the phones I've supported. I have a Nexus tablet and I find the OS gets in the way more than it gets out of it. IOS7 has negated all of the advantages IOS used to have. Now your choice is basically Android suffering or IOS suffering. You ain't getting bliss anywhere.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I still really dislike the new icons including the new 3rd party app icons. They look like cheap clip art vector from the 90s now, really hideous "plain" style.

The music app is ruined on iPad, the gorgeous 'album' view was removed for absolutely no reason, and I fight with it on iPhone, it's just unrefined, hacked. The "ratings" button is where the "back" button should be, please?

Text as buttons is a horrible UI decision I find myself taping text sometimes to see if it does something. If the founders of AHIG didn't pass away already, they would have after trying iOS 7 :rolleyes:

Folders on iPad show 9 items, is this a joke?

The notification center is slow and has horrible UI. I tried Android's equivalent the other day and fell in love with it, it has a much clear presentation and function.

The animations are slow. I'm on 5s and I take a huge responsiveness hit. Good thing one can sort of deactivate the slow zoom in/zoom out with "reduce motion" setting, but still it's a poor default decision to have them.

The 'Picker' control (number slider in clock app) isn't as responsive now, it sort of goes over and doesn't stop sometimes when you tap it to stop rolling.

I could go on, there are other unrefined things.

I do agree with others that when going back to iOS6 it does seem old and last season, but guys remember this is like fashion, we are being told this is the new hype thing, it's not necessarily better.

It's a fashion cycle, 10 years from now there will be some new theme, and this "plain" theme will look retro. There is still no way I'm liking plain clip art icons from the 90s better than what we had before.

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
i like most of it except give me back my twitter/facebook options and the weather widget from ios 6 in my notification center and i will be happy

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I'm disliking it the more I've used it. Beyond having a brightness slider easily accessible, it didn't introduce much utility for my uses.

Even that is kind of flawed, as when you pull the control centre up, it darkens the background.. Makes it harder to adjust when your reference is dimmed.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Even that is kind of flawed, as when you pull the control centre up, it darkens the background.. Makes it harder to adjust when your reference is dimmed.

Yes!!! Happens to me constantly.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I find Xiamoi did a better job at their MIUI 'clone' of iOS than Apple did with iOS 7. Way more consistent interface.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
There are things that still bother me, but I've gotten to the point that I can use it. I still think they should allow you to downgrade if you choose.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Well let's see...iOS6=perfect music app, never had safari ever crash on me, some app crash yes but never safari, no glitches, everyday my phone just works, battery life is great no issues, I can say with honesty it's a joy to use my iPhone 5 everyday, I actually look forward to how it works perfectly every time, every day.

Why should I compromise any of these features and upgrade to iOS7 when clearly people are still having issues. So until it's all worked out I'll keep looking at my 1 Update in Setting App. I don't have time to be a tester of Apples software. It just seems like interns designed iOS7 and released it too early.

I really wanted to upgrade but for now I'm keeping iOS6 and I'm happy about that.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Ipad Air has 7 as it came with it.

Iphone 4 & 5 still on 6, and staying on 6.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I love it!!! I think it's beautiful. I love the flat design. And the translucent efforts are beautiful.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Not to say that iOS 6 and some of the skeuemorphic crud that carried over into OS X were perfect (felt backgrounds? Ripped sheets in Calendar? That horrible font in the notes app?), but toning down or removing those would've made things great as they were. The iOS7 flat redesign was a massive overreaction, and Apple listened too hard to a few users with ADHD who kept bellyaching that they were "bored" with the look and feel.

Agreed. With the jarring UI design of iOS 7, I'm convinced that Apple truly does listen to the loud whiners (a very small fraction of the overall Mac customer base).

….. even when the whiners are wrong. :rolleyes:

To be Fair and Balanced (Fox Trademark), I will admit that Apple also does listen to the whiners WHEN the loud whiners are indeed "in the right". Such is the case when these loud people (includes Donald Trump) kept demanding that Apple really really really really needs to finally come out with a larger-screen iPhone. We will see this soon enough in the iPhone 6 and subsequent Apple phones approaching phablet size. In this particular issue, I've been quietly siding with the loud whiners.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
When iOS7 came out I used all Apple apps. Now I have 3rd party apps for Weather, Notes, Calendar, Music, and Photos.

As far as the functionality of the OS itself it's fine. It was the changes in the apps that didn't work for me in some cases.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
When iOS7 came out I used all Apple apps. Now I have 3rd party apps for Weather, Notes, Calendar, Music, and Photos.

As far as the functionality of the OS itself it's fine. It was the changes in the apps that didn't work for me in some cases.

You know, I haven't quite ditched Apple's apps, but I've definitely started thinking about getting 3rd party options, particularly for podcasts, Apple's app has been annoying me for a while now and I'm planning on switching to Downcast. I agree Apple is dropping the ball, the notes app is bad, and music app is no longer a "must-have-iPod-experience" I'm curious, which ones are you using?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Below is a list of what I'm using instead of the Apple apps.

Fahrenheit, NotesTab Pro, Fantastical, iSmug (photos), and Music Groove

They are all working well for me. The Music app is the latest I've started using.
Still a learning curve there but so far so good.

It took me a while to start moving to some other apps too. NotesTab Pro was the first one I tried and loved it so much it started the ball rolling.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.