Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
spacehulk_deathwing-16.jpg

Had another shot at Space Hulk: Deathwing, upped the difficulty and went on a determined mission to collect all Relic's. Very much changes the game, as Relic's and objectives are rarely aligned which results in a lot more roaming through the various ships and locations that make up the Space Hulk.

Basically a lot more of the same, so if your into what Deathwing delivers opting to collect all Relic's will amp the action & tension. You do need to revisit some locations, however due to the deteriorating condition's within the Space Hulk paths and doors previously passable will be blocked. This makes traversing the levels far more complex and ultimately dangerous as the Tyranids (aliens) literally swarm and take no prisoners.

Deathwing has one, if not the very best implementations of a flame thrower I've ever seen in a game. The Heavy Flamer literally sprays the Tyrranid's and the accompanying area with what's best described as Napalm to great effect. The downside is the Heavy Flamer is not a ranged weapon so your tactics must reflect.

I'd like to try Space Hulk: Tactics as well, think I just like the basic premise of the Space Hulk story of a few brave souls going into the affray with a determination to win...

1596828075793.png

Have at it L&G, I found all major and minor Relics not that they are overly concealed or difficult to find. The real challenge being to survive given the sheer numbers of the Tyranid horde. When your kill rate is in four figures and just passing 50% for a mission, let alone a chapter gives a fair understanding of the odds...

Thinking of playing either The Evil Within (1 & 2) or Prey next, although I still have Metro Exodus to get my teeth into. Maybe something slower paced as Deathwing at the higher levels you'll be testing the durability of your mouse and your hand ? Conarium springs to mind being a fan of Lovecraft, although played and completed it's another game I just enjoy for what it is.

Played on W10 Pro - 1909, Space Hulk: Deathwing bought on GOG.com.

Q-6

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Currently replaying Gothic 2 (with Night of the Raven expansion / add-on) for the ... not even sure how many times. :)

This took a bit - trying to play on my Surface Pro 7, and it wasn’t working right even trying most patches out there ... then it wouldn’t work at all on my gaming PC, and my old Alienware 13 it works best but that laptop is ready for the scrap heap ... replaced motherboard and hybrid drive and still never quite been right again.

Found a patching system called ‘Spline’ for Gothic 1 & 2 ... it fixed *everything* - but treats the GoG version like a pirated copy and messes with a number of files. :(.

So I found out how to fix THAT ... and am now thoroughly enjoying one of my top 5 all-time games, which will be 20 years old in just a few months.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thinking of having another round with Dead Space as been a good while...
wallpaper3_dead_space_1920x1080.jpg

Getting on a little now, equally still stands up as a great game with it's unique own character. Needs a little tweaking on modern hardware as the game doesn't play well past 60fps with some aspects of the physics breaking. If you find the game is too bright even at the lowest setting in game, you can manually tweak the setting.txt file to a negative value. I found a value -0.5 works well, as Dead Space is intended to be dark and atmospheric.

Q-6

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I still like playing Diablo 3, for S21 that finally made an DH build that is a bit like a spin to win types, but still different, and a lot of fun. There is a new necro build also.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Dead Space reprise:
wallpaper1_dead_space_1920x1080.jpg

What a great game, plays equally well as an action horror or a survival horror game, depending on the difficulty. For a game that is now 12 years old the graphics still stand up, as does the gameplay. The purposeful omission of any HUD, serves wonderfully to immerse and draw the player ever further into the grim world of the USG Ishimura. Reduce the brightness, increase the volume, turn off the lights, play as hard as you can ?

I didn't rush, taking my time to absorb the atmosphere, with a leisurely 12 hours to complete the game. If you've not played Dead Space and are into horror action/survival dont let the game's age put you off. Dead Space has never looked better, thx to a few tweaks in Nvidia's Control Panel and the games settings file (txt), game scales and runs beautifully on modern hardware.

Some light puzzles are presented, as with all in Dead Space, the solutions are right there in the picture, you just need to look and think, while not being torn apart by the ever ravenous necromorphs ??? Also worth noting Dead Space is not a frightening game, similar to older horror films the game tends to build tension in the players mind as opposed to relying on shock horror on screen.

Played on W10 Pro - 1909, Dead Space bought on GOG.com.

Q-6

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sep 2020- Spending virtually all of my time playing World of Warships and World of Thanks. Slowly but surely getting refamiliarized with the maps (WoT), and still stinking at it, but not as much. ?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Deus EX - Human Revolution is looking to be a strong contender for the next game. Spent a little time to get the lighting & colouration of the Directors Cut back to the original. I want the game to be as intended, not limited by technical limitations (Wii) or cry-babies...
1599011685495.png

The gold visual effect was a deliberate choice for both artistic & technical reasons. Removing the effect resulted in breaking much of the games lightening & ambience. Only serving IMO to highlight the inadequacies of the then game engine.

Thankfully thx to the internet, smart people we can now get the game back to it's intended visual style. If into Cyberpunk, if into the Blade Runner universe then Deus Ex is a given, while we patiently wait for CDPR to finalise Cyberpuk 2077 ?

To play as visually intended - https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/04/26/dxhr-dc-gold-filter/

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
1599011927451.png

I rarely get into games that are in development, however Chernobylite is one I personally believe will deliver. The detail and accuracy is stunning, now literally able to explore major parts of Prypiat and the disaster zone that has been 3D scanned into the game world.

Am about a year in with Chernobylite, the Dev's have hit all the targets. Farm-51 has deepened the gameplay, working & listening to the players without deviating from the original premise. Chernobylite is both interesting and unnerving, more so if you are aware of the real life events of Chernobyl with it's own unique challenges.

Only other game on the horizon that has such interest for me is Cyberpunk 2077, likely to be the game of 2020 and then some...

Q-6

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My choices for games lately change so quickly.

I play a lot of mobile games because they're easy to pick up and put down. Subway Surfers and Asphalt 9 are good that way. I've also tried Battle Breakers from Epic Games, but it mostly plays itself, with some assistance.

I've tried to play Hyper Scape from Ubisoft lately, but it takes forever to connect and to put a group of contenders together, and very little time to be wiped away.

The Last Campfire isn't bad, but mostly, I end up with Unreal Tournament 2004, UT3, or Toxikk. They're easy to pick up and put down. I like that Valve introduced Half-Life 2: Update but wish that it was a 64-bit update, so I could play it on Catalina, instead of Windows.

Queen6

macrumors G4
A game about zombie killing

Playing or want to play? Dying Light is good, frequently discounted on GOG Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition edition has a lot of playability, nor solely limited to just shooting zombies.
1599015265178.png

Free running, leaping from roof to roof, climbing pylons and outrunning hordes of the undead is an exhilarating experience. Combat is solid involving melee & gunplay, with limited resources. Developer has done a good job to support the game and to this day continues to present new content.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
My choices for games lately change so quickly.

I play a lot of mobile games because they're easy to pick up and put down. Subway Surfers and Asphalt 9 are good that way. I've also tried Battle Breakers from Epic Games, but it mostly plays itself, with some assistance.

I've tried to play Hyper Scape from Ubisoft lately, but it takes forever to connect and to put a group of contenders together, and very little time to be wiped away.

The Last Campfire isn't bad, but mostly, I end up with Unreal Tournament 2004, UT3, or Toxikk. They're easy to pick up and put down. I like that Valve introduced Half-Life 2: Update but wish that it was a 64-bit update, so I could play it on Catalina, instead of Windows.

Gave up on mobile games when the freemium model took over, best I ever played was MC4 & NOVA-3. Far happier with games on the comp, be it Mac or PC. Now I'm older I prefer games with depth and solid story, rather than bells & whistles graphics as the immersion to me is everything...

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Mafia: Definitive Edition will be out on September 25th. It's a remake of the very first Mafia game from way back in 2002.

It's the only Mafia game I haven't finished so I'm looking forward to this release. The 2002 game was too buggy and I had to give up on it.

https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-definitive-edition-reveal/

Got Mafia 3, yet to play. The storyline interested me, the gameplay I'll see soon enough...

Q-6

Reactions: howiest

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Gave up on mobile games when the freemium model took over, best I ever played was MC4 & NOVA-3. Far happier with games on the comp, be it Mac or PC. Now I'm older I far prefer games with depth and solid story, rather than bells & whistles graphics as the immersion to me is everything...

Q-6

NOVA-3 from Gameloft? I liked one of the earlier games in the series but it was so buggy that I gave up. The Asphalt series is generally better tested by them, although I spent days without Asphalt 9 on Windows.

I was playing one of the Kyrandia games earlier, which looks like it's a late 16-bit/early 32-bit game. GOG Galaxy has a lot of those. I fairly recently bought a series of Infocom text adventures, and they make great use of imagination, since there are no graphics.

Queen6

macrumors G4
NOVA-3 from Gameloft? I liked one of the earlier games in the series but it was so buggy that I gave up. The Asphalt series is generally better tested by them, although I spent days without Asphalt 9 on Windows.

I was playing one of the Kyrandia games earlier, which looks like it's a late 16-bit/early 32-bit game. GOG Galaxy has a lot of those. I fairly recently bought a series of Infocom text adventures, and they make great use of imagination, since there are no graphics.

Gameloft yes, mine is the paid version and is/was ok as is MC4. I pretty much only play on W10 these days as I find is far more flexible and has the performance to really bring 3D games to life. Used to have iPad & Android tablets, now I'd rather play older PC titles on a W10 tablet and add mod's, as the calibre and gameplay is generally far better than the freemium rubbish on the mobile platforms that many dev's churn out...

TBH same applies to all platforms, not remotely interested in playing anything that is riddled with adverts, "pay to win" and or endless paid DLC's that are little more than skins, hence why I get my game fix from GOG. I can play anywhere with or without a connection (single player).

More need to vote with their wallet, only then will the industry change, as right now ever more are rapidly becoming the "product" not the customer...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Gameloft yes, mine is the paid version and is/was ok as is MC4. I pretty much only play on W10 these days as I find is far more flexible and has the performance to really bring 3D games to life. Used to have iPad & Android tablets, now I'd rather play older PC titles on a W10 tablet and add mod's, as the calibre and gameplay is generally far better than the freemium rubbish on the mobile platforms that many dev's churn out...

TBH same applies to all platforms, not remotely interested in playing anything that is riddled with adverts, "pay to win" and or endless paid DLC's that are little more than skins, hence why I get my game fix from GOG. I can play anywhere with or without a connection (single player).

More need to vote with their wallet, only then will the industry change, as right now ever more are rapidly becoming the "product" not the customer...

Q-6

I suspect the problem is the same with the film industry--a lack of imagination.

People watch a film and cringe at the special effects. Then, they decide to re-make that film, get funding, hire the best VFX crew possible, and forget about the story or the acting. Those watching are excited by the visual effects, and don't care about the actual film because it does every trending effect necessary.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I suspect the problem is the same with the film industry--a lack of imagination.

People watch a film and cringe at the special effects. Then, they decide to re-make that film, get funding, hire the best VFX crew possible, and forget about the story or the acting. Those watching are excited by the visual effects, and don't care about the actual film because it does every trending effect necessary.

That and money, some companies have now become so big and must continuously deliver ever increased profits to the shareholders. Many have also lost their way as to why they are in the gaming industry in the first place. Worse some are actively killing smaller studios solely for their own financial greed, as opposed to nurturing new talent.

The film industry has simply backed itself into a corner trying to appease minorities & Prima-Donnas, directly resulting in far fewer of the majority being interested. Many of the previous great films irrespective of genre would never be made today due to the current social disarray driven by vocal minorities. Far too many remakes & reboots with too little original content as Hollywood is effectively creatively, morally and ethically bankrupt with many of the so called stars needing to be reigned in and certainly paid a good deal less for the frequent drivel that is now churned out.

CGI should always be used to augment a good story, not be the star of the show. Practical effects will always be superior when done by the right people and in a film that actually has an engaging story, then again Hollywood in 2020...

Q-6

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.