Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
1599211987231.png

"Conarium is a chilling Lovecraftian game that follows the gripping story of four scientists and their endeavour to challenge what we normally consider to be the "absolute" limits of nature. Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's novella At the Mountains of Madness, but largely set after the original story."

Now for the reality Conarium is a light exploration & puzzle game with aspects of horror set in a 3D Lovecraftian themed world, although I would rather replace horror with intrigue. I do like the game and have completed it several times, it's one you can for the most part leisurely walk through and admire the world. Story does have it's twists and turns, most of all builds a solid atmosphere that entices one to push forward deeper into the story.

Gameplay is fairly limited to exploration and light puzzles, with the occasional interaction. As long as you dont go into Conarium with high expectations of a deep Lovecraftian horror experience that will scare you to the very core you'll be fine with the game. It's one to slowly explore and take in and enjoy the atmosphere, deal with events as and when they unravel. One should not be put off by the implied horror theme as in reality it's rather mild IMO.

Personally I like horror games owning multiple, Conarium I would put more as a tale of intrigue and experience. Some others I have are true horror that can and do unnerve & frighten...

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just getting into this one
1599844812406.png

Souls like, impressed with this release from a small studio. Hellpoint has the action, mystique and great atmosphere that draws the player in. Not sure I can best this one, but gonna give the game a run for it's money all the same :)

Q-6

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I'm on Civ V right now, but I've been bouncing between that, super hexagon and LA Noire.
Yea I always go back to CiV. have to check my hours again. I must have broken 3k by now if not more. Just can't get into 6 as much. Seems to force you to go wide and do other things to even have a chance.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yea I always go back to CiV. have to check my hours again. I must have broken 3k by now if not more. Just can't get into 6 as much. Seems to force you to go wide and do other things to even have a chance.

In the past, I also played a lot of Civ.

After I got Civ 6 figured out (strategies in Civ 5 generally don't work in Civ 6), I was playing Civ 6 exclusively when I played Civ.

Currently, @Huntn got me playing ARK single player (bootcamp) and I have over 1000 hours into it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In the past, I also played a lot of Civ.

After I got Civ 6 figured out (strategies in Civ 5 generally don't work in Civ 6), I was playing Civ 6 exclusively when I played Civ.

Currently, @Huntn got me playing ARK single player (bootcamp) and I have over 1000 hours into it.
It can grab ya. :) What map are you on?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It can grab ya. :) What map are you on?

Still the island.

The only problem I see with the game is that the solo endgame is not user friendly.

The endgame boss fights are composed of 20 dinos vs the boss.

In multiplayer (depending on how many players are in the tribe), each player only has to worry about raising and equipping a limited number of dinos.

In solo ARK, the player has to worry about raising and equipping all 20 dinos.

After selective breeding and leveling, I have the 20 dinos (19 rex 1 yuti) that I want to use.

Unfortunately after massive grinding in the caves, I only got 3 ascendant rex saddles to drop.

The blueprints for the ascendant rex saddle also dropped but I can only afford to craft two of them due to their huge material requirements.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Still the island.

The only problem I see with the game is that the solo endgame is not user friendly.

The endgame boss fights are composed of 20 dinos vs the boss.

In multiplayer (depending on how many players are in the tribe), each player only has to worry about raising and equipping a limited number of dinos.

In solo ARK, the player has to worry about raising and equipping all 20 dinos.

After selective breeding and leveling, I have the 20 dinos (19 rex 1 yuti) that I want to use.

Unfortunately after massive grinding in the caves, I only got 3 ascendant rex saddles to drop.

The blueprints for the ascendant rex saddle also dropped but I can only afford to craft two of them due to their huge material requirements.
Cheat and rationalize. This is based on knowing that the end game is designed for a tribe, but you are a tribe of one. :) As part of a tribe, I’ve done two of those fights, we failed both times and honestly it did not feel epic and worth any kind of a substantial grind, but that is just me.

In my solo games, I pick and choose what I want to earn. Yes at one point I pumped 400 darts into a giga to take it down, I tried about 30 times to jump onto the back of a quetzal as part of capturing it, but never could. And my least tolerance is for gathering raw materials for building, where I treat my solo games as creative builds. Although on servers, with friends help, I have built large magnificent structures, the most magnificent on the map because that tends to be my passion.

The most building I have done solo is in Conan Exiles which has the best building structures, not relying on mods.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Cheat and rationalize. This is based on knowing that the end game is designed for a tribe, but you are a tribe of one. :) As part of a tribe, I’ve done two of those fights, we failed both times and honestly it did not feel epic and worth any kind of a substantial grind, but that is just me.

In my solo games, I pick and choose what I want to earn. Yes at one point I pumped 400 darts into a giga to it down, I tried about 30 times to jump onto the back of a quetzal as part of capturing it, but never could. And my least tolerance is for gathering raw materials for building, where I treat my solo games as creative builds. Although on servers, with friends help, I have built large magnificent structures, the most magnificent on the map because that tends to be my passion.

The most building I have done solo is in Conan Exiles which has the best building structures, not relying on mods.

Even though it seems it was an afterthought by the developers, solo ARK is very good until players hit the end game bosses.

As far as settings, I ended up maxing out the experience earned so I could level my 20 breeded dinos up for the boss fight. Otherwise I would be solo grinding dino levels for months.

I'm seriously considering using the game console commands to give me the saddles for the boss fight since I'm burned out grinding for those.

Jumping onto a quetzal doesn't work now (along with dropping a scorpion).

The best way is to capture a quetzal is to tame a tapejara, ride in the back seat, and whistle attack the tapejara to follow/approach the quetzal.

You don't want the tapejara to actually attack the quetzal so you need to alternate the passive / attack whistles to keep the tapejara near the quetzal where you can shoot the quetzal with tranq darts.

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
Grid 2 mainly

I finished Grid. Grid 2 and the DLC's for it were on sale for less than $30 last week so I grabbed it. The graphics in it are awesome though there are a couple bugs they need to work out. Also been running my own trucking "company" on Euro Truck Simulator 2, may seem boring to start with but it can become addicting. I may grab COD Ghosts when it hits the shelves with all DLC's for $60, if they do that.

and after years I am still trying to finish Grid: auto sport

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
And today Forza Horizon 4. I picked up a DS4 over the weekend using some Best Buy credits, and I am having such a blast. Not getting as much work done as I should but it's only Monday.

Reactions: Irishman

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Finished first playthrough of Edith Finch, and what a tale and so beautifully designed. I'm a big fan of Chris Bell's work that also includes Journey and Sky: Children of the Light. He's working on a new one at his new company (after he left thatgamecompany last year), Gardens Interactive, where he's CEO and creative director. Should be interesting to watch what happens.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Chip's Challenge 1 is free on Steam now, so I picked that up and have been playing it in my free time. I've also been playing Touhou 5: Mystic Square and other Touhou games.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just picked up Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate on sale in the MS App Store for $20. I'm finding this Forza stuff crazy fun and makes me wonder why I ever spent so much time playing Talos Principle, which was agonizingly not fun.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
EVERSPACE 2 - OPEN BETA (I'm a backer so get early access).

You can still get the initial Demo FREE on Steam:

Reactions: 960design

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Currently playing Immortal Vader series and No Man's Sky on Oculus Quest 2.
I have FORCE powers! It is also insanely cool to fight with a lightsaber. I can see why Jedi's are a bit cocky.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nov 2020-
  • World of Tanks- Fast paced, it’s fun, but a grind, and Wargaming is making the game perceived to be pay to win, which it just might be now that premium tanks for real money is better than equivalent tanks.
  • World of Warships- Slower paced than tanks, but requires a better understanding of tactical distancing and recognizing you are getting in over your head.
  • Fallout 4- My favorite post apocalyptic RPG Augmented with outstanding content mods.
  • Signed up to play: New World MMO Amazon’s first game venture (I think).
  • Mad Max (Steam)- So far, I’m enjoying the story, the interactions with Chum, and the atmosphere.
C8C86A78-5A45-444F-890C-98268D0C80CF.jpeg

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I skipped on buying the remake of XIII at a discount pre-order ... so instead I loaded up the original from GoG and had fun playing through that for the first time in a couple of years. Far from perfect with too many early 2000s FPS clicked and tropes, but a decently fun story and mission structure and weapon set. And the soundtrack is still killer .. (I have the CD in my car and listen on occasion)

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.