Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
May 2020 update- As you might be able to already tell, based on the dedicated thread, I picked up Fallout 76 with The Wastelanders Update that introduced interactive NPCs (other than just shooting them :), the update is free) and it’s definitely Fallout, a better version than before, but it’s online which maybe good or bad depending on what you prefer. As in comparison to games like Conan Exiles, or ARK:Survival Evloved, there are no Admin privileges or console access on a private server.

West Virginia is a prettier environment as compared to the Commonwealth, it has no F4 settlement building and management, although you can have your own camp to build, but unfortunately you are not always guaranteed a consistent camp site on a public server, which you can get on a private server, if you subscribe for $12 a month.

I've stopped playing Fallout 76, long story short, the daily schedule of developer busy work in place of a strong quest structure just did not suit me. This is not to say the game would not suit you. @maflynn is having a good time with this, and I think part of it might be I'm on the spoiled side.

Now I'm in the early stages of Outer Worlds (purchased on Epic Games Site during their summer sale which will be over June 11) and so far I'm liking it.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Now I'm in the early stages of Outer Worlds (purchased on Epic Games Site during their summer sale which will be over June 11) and so far I'm liking it.

I bought that a few months back on another sale and thoroughly enjoyed it ... to the point where I pre-ordered it for the Switch and will start playing it again when it is out tomorrow!

Also grabbed Bioshock Infinite for the Switch and replaying that ... hadn’t fully replayed since my first runs through it back in 2013. Still a really great game - and I am still crap at controllers!

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am currently playing Call of Duty: WARZONE which is a real big thing among gamers in these days. The game is experiencing a great success ever since its release in March 2020. There have been more than 60 million downloads in the first couple of months and the numbers are increasing all the time. I highly recommend this game to all the gamers from all over the world, especially those who like FPS and BATTLE ROYALE games. In case someone is struggling with anything about the game, he/she may look at internet where there is lots of helpful stuff available on YouTube and blogs/websites like DownSights which really help to find everything about the game and also help players to improve their game.
I believe my grandson is playing this. I watched over his shoulder and to say it is hectic might be under stating it. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
July 2020:
  • Fallout 4- A third play though, I don’t get tired of this game. If you use mods, steer clear of the Fallout 4 Unofficial Patch in the mod section of the game hosted by Bethesda. It might be ok for playing with no other mods, but frankly I‘ve not noticed any issues playing the vanilla game to warrant the need for this mod. And with other mods, although I can’t say which specific ones because I have about 20 installed, the F4UP mod breaks the game.
  • Outer Worlds- It’s a good SciFy RPG, but I petered out on it.
B39BC03A-81C4-456B-9ED6-B59ECAB99259.jpeg
  • Conan Exiles- I joined a friends server, but now it’s abandoned and it’s no fun playing on a server by yourself. I discovered my solo game from 2017 is broken, so I started a new solo game and am building a town on the South Newb River by the large guardian statues, very reminiscent of the large statutes on the river in Lord of the Rings- FotR. This game has nice building pieces if you splurge on a couple of the DLCs @$10 each.
  • Being a DIK- An X-rated adult offering on Steam, about a young man going to college and joining a frat, which is a different kind of game compared to what I usually play. The social interactions are good enough to keep the story interesting while being an eye opener from the explicit sex portrayed. Note, years ago I played it’s spiritual predecessor Leisure Suit Larry, but this is so much more polished. ;)
  • Fallout 76- I’ve abandoned this to keep playing F4. The environment is very Fallout like, but I did not care for the forced grinding, the daily events and quests which lowered my immersion in the game. Plus I miss settlement management. These are elements that are common in online games, but I prefer the relative purity of the Fallout 4 solo environment. Note, I had the exact same issue with Red Dead Redemption 2, online mode. RDR2’s solo mode is better, although similiar to F76.

Last edited:
Reactions: dUnKle

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Surviving Mars. I've had the game for a couple of years, only picked up the DLC recently in a steam sale.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
  • Outer Worlds- It’s a good SciFy RPG, but I petered out on it.
That is what I’m currently playing - a replay on Switch. I tend to play more slowly on Switch anyway, but I am really being a completionist on this go around. Thoroughly enjoy the game, this time playing a total science-focused melee ‘neutral good’ type.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That is what I’m currently playing - a replay on Switch. I tend to play more slowly on Switch anyway, but I am really being a completionist on this go around. Thoroughly enjoy the game, this time playing a total science-focused melee ‘neutral good’ type.
It reminds me of Fallout 4 but with more dialog options.
[automerge]1594746310[/automerge]
Surviving Mars. I've had the game for a couple of years, only picked up the DLC recently in a steam sale.
Good? I think there is a new Mars Survival game (Steam), at least I saw a free demo that I plan on checking out.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Good? I think there is a new Mars Survival game (Steam), at least I saw a free demo that I plan on checking out.
Yeah, it's pretty addictive. Sort of a sim city, or a tropico in space. There's a tech tree, resource management, etc. The first DLC (space race) incorporates rival colonies which you can trade with, or send spies and sabateurs to. The second DLC (green mars) lets you terraform mars, though frankly I haven't gotten past the lichen stage. Somewhat Graphics intensive, though.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
It reminds me of Fallout 4 but with more dialog options.

Sounds about right - and I am more into the whole ‘choice & consequence’ thing for RPGs so it is something I prefer to more run’n’gun BethSoft Fallouts. (Not that I don’t love those too!)

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Do you have access to a gaming PC? If you do I’d suggest you check out the PC version.

2012 macbook pro with a 24 inch external screen.

heard the other version has smaller maps and allows "friendly fire". I like blitz and my mac just copes, fan races after a while playing but it is ok

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2012 macbook pro with a 24 inch external screen.

heard the other version has smaller maps and allows "friendly fire". I like blitz and my mac just copes, fan races after a while playing but it is ok
If it meets the game’s video graphic requirements (maybe not) for the main game, Bootcamp maybe...;)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have been playing Castles II: Siege and Conquest on Steam based off of the DOS version from 1992 and the Mac version (I think 1994?) which is known as Castles: Siege and Conquest.

I still have my copy of the Mac version that purchased back in the 90's, and I still play it once or twice a year on old PPC Macs.

When I saw that it was on Steam I purchased it, but I didn't realize how much different the DOS version was from the Mac version. The DOS version sucks compared to the Mac version.

After paying the DOS version for a few weeks, I decided to use MacOS 9 emulator SheepShaver and run the Mac version on my main Mac.

It is such a wonderful game, especially for being almost 30 years old.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I've been playing Minecraft 1.5.2 on my PPC Macs as of late and honestly the performance is really good on the higher-spec machines. You need a good GPU though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's definitely some pluses and minuses to be sure, but its a fun game. One of my primary complaints is the randomness of perks, you're subject to a random perk card. I wished you could be more forthright in perk selection to customize your character in a way removes the grind
View attachment 918305
The random perk cards in Fallout 76 really bugged me. While I recognized it as mechanism to prolong character development which should be ok for an online game, I was still making comparisons to F4 and griping about it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The random perk cards in Fallout 76 really bugged me. While I recognized it as mechanism to prolong character development which should be ok for an online game, I was still making comparisons to F4 and griping about it.
You get to a point in your progression where its a non-issue. I get what you're saying don't take it the wrong way, and early in my gameplay, it was a source of frustration for me as well.

Yet with that said, I can't tell you the last time I saw a new card, I get to pick any card I want. I currently have 14 unused cards/points. I can either move a point from one SPECIAL to another or pick a card. Since I have so many, I can respec and get some new cards.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
July 2020-

*TitanFall 2 (PC)-
It was on sale at Steam, not a bad shooter campaign including mech action. I maybe too scared to play multiplayer with it. :)

* Fallout 4- Yes, still.

* Conan Exiles- Experiencing a revival, building with some of the DLCS. Possibly the best building options I've seen.

*Everspace, somehow it ended up in my Steam library, yet I’ve not played it. I read some reviews describing it as fun at first , but becomes repetitive and shallow. Thoughts?
Can it be played well with keyboard, mouse?

B8BFD1FF-EC51-4D09-B01C-94C15482075C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Just recently dipped my toe into gaming that isn't on old Macs and isn't Minecraft or Touhou. I played Euro Truck Simulator and Counter Strike: Nexon Studio recently because I recently got a Steam account. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just recently dipped my toe into gaming that isn't on old Macs and isn't Minecraft or Touhou. I played Euro Truck Simulator and Counter Strike: Nexon Studio recently because I recently got a Steam account. :D
I tried a Truck Simulator (set on the West Coast) and quickly got bored with it. Even though I realize a trip from San Diego to Los Angeles would take 5 hours (It’s been a while since I drove it?), And most people would not want to spend that kind of time in a game, but I’m familiar with the region I was really turned off by a trip reduced to 15 minutes. Even the city layouts were ridiculously simplified. Don’t sell the idea, your trucking simulator is emulating the area. How about San Diego to Pheonix... 20 minutes, right. :rolleyes:

I’m thinking this kind of simulator would be better for a train sim, and leave the trucking sim for just one city.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
August 2020-

*Transport Fever 2- (Solo)- Like a city builder, think Sim City, but in this game the cities grow as you provide transportation of goods and people. Having fun with this, don’t skip the campaign which is the tutorial. :)

*World of Warships- (PVP) by Wargaming. Still playing and cursing other players on my team (to myself ;)). Working towards my first Tier 10 ship. 15 minute battles, with up to 30 players.

*War Thunder- (PVP) by Gaijin. Tanks, ships, aircraft in battles, more realistic and tougher than World of Tanks in Realism mode. For tank battles, I won’t say it’s better than WoT, but it’s different. Either game might appeal to you. I’m not really happy with the tank battles, advantage goes to who is familiar with the map and 1-shots happen too often.

However, delving into the ship part of the equation, I’m liking ship battles so far. As compared to WoWS, this is different too. Early matches are PT boat duels, very different feel than WoWS which are like epic ocean battles. I’ll need time to see how ship battles develop in WT before I can determine a winner, if there is one. Enjoying both games for ship battles right now. :)

*World of Tanks- (PVP) by Wargaming. Played this for a long time and burned out. Returned to it just to compare with WT. Smaller maps, it feels more like arena matches, there is a routine, rush to the choke point, and play peek and shoot, which now feels very repetitive to me.

* TitanFall 2- (Solo, maybe Coop) Mech action. Got off to a good start but my deeper involvement into PVP has me currently ignoring this game.

* Fallout 4- (Solo) Yes, still. Bethesda’s best RPG IMO. I’m on my 3rd play though, but have been ignoring this lately.

* Conan Exiles- (Solo or Online Server) Survival sandbox. Exiled to the wastelands, you can make a new life for yourself. Enslave fellow human beings, tame animals, and build your empire. :) Joined a server late, had a purge (game mechanic) and now everyone has moved onto other games. This has some of the nicest base building, if not the best.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just completed Space Hulk Deathwing
1596389542103.png
Played through the single player campaign, really enjoyed the game. Great atmosphere & graphics, shooting is nothing special, nor bad by any means. Some tactical & light RPG elements combined with decently sized maps. You'll need to make smart decisions to survive, especially at higher difficulties, tension builds…

Hordes being the operative word, don't think I’ve played an FPS with quite so many enemy's on the screen at the same time. The sheer numbers make the game challenging, especially while managing your NPC team mates as their AI is best described as serviceable. For the most part the NPC’s do as instructed, however you need to be mindful and plan where you send them, as they may not react as you would expect in a given situation. NPC team mates also seem to react differently one being the smarter more calculating, the other more guns blazing, first into the affray and first to go down if not managed well.

Story is thin, equally serviceable; you know what, where and how. More enjoyable if you know some of the 40K lore. I’d like to see more of the same lore, that said Deathwing is all about the action of which there’s absolutely no shortage. Game has a lot of playability as one can play with ranged weapons or melee, search and seek out “relics” special missions, online co-op, including a 10th chapter with more 40K, it’s all good.

Deathwing gets some bad press, especially on YT, my own speculation is that the game is hard from the get go, and people being people. I normally opt for hard with FPS games, Deathwing you'll likely need to drop a level in difficulty if not more until you recalibrate to the game. Up the difficulty and Deathwing ceases to be a straight forward shooter and is more akin to a horror survival game with literally every encounter being a "knife fight" with the team barely surviving.

You know when it's a good game when you die towards the end of a chapter and you just want to jump back in and work out how to beat the horde, find a better path, lockdown a better position or simply avoid and survive to fight another day.

All set to have another go on the next difficultly level and seek out more “relics” Most of all Space Hulk Deathwing is a fun & challenging game and that's all that counts at the end of the day…

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.