Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
Red Dead Redemption 2 is wicked good. Rockstar really nailed it this time... I believe it was their best effort ever.

I'm playing it on a dual boot Mac Pro with a Radeon 580, and its been really immersive. The story, the characters, the voice acting, is all first rate.

Wonderful game! The kind that you never forget, and just carry it throughout time... like the best movies you've seen.

You need to play this game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I remember seeing some news about subs being introduced last year, but nothing lately. I'd love to see them in the game for sure. Game dynamics are a concern for sure, but I bet it could all be worked out.
I already have some issues with the game balancing Wargaming has executed to make a destroyer equal to a battleship. Last night a desrtoyer came around an island and hit me with 6 torpedoes which was fatal. The tier system in this game is completely artificial and that applies to torpedoes shot from a T10 destroyer vs a T1 destroyer, and then some can launch 20 torpedoes in a salvo? I call them obscene. ;)

If you look at WWII sub weapon delivery systems they (subs) are extremely slow. They lie in wait, don’t chase for their prey. I just don’t know how Wargaming could make them semi-realistically competitive in their Random Battle dynamic without having special sub battles.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Red Dead Redemption 2 is wicked good. Rockstar really nailed it this time... I believe it was their best effort ever.

I'm playing it on a dual boot Mac Pro with a Radeon 580, and its been really immersive. The story, the characters, the voice acting, is all first rate.

Wonderful game! The kind that you never forget, and just carry it throughout time... like the best movies you've seen.

You need to play this game.
I’ve had a mixed experience with RDR2. First of all, the game and it’s AI interactions are beautiful.

I started online with some clan members and it was really fun, a period of story guided game play, where you can jump into posses and participate in other player’s story driven quests. Even if you’ve already completed your own story quest it’s still fun to help others do theirs.

And then you could start professions (trader, collector, moonshiner, trader) and for an example as a moonshiner, you could jump in and help other players with their delivery missions, and get xp and paid for it if you were a moonshiner too. The most fun and challenging group missions are bounty hunting with multiple targets.

That said after the online story missions are complete, and after you’ve had your fill of group activities, the online environment is shallow. As a trader, how many animals can you kill, how many supply runs can you go on, and how many delivers can you make before it feels repetitive?

Also there has been an issue online with Chinese hackers that appear late at night, when China is coming online. I don’t understand why this game does not have something like Battle Eye. Being toyed with by hackers is annoying as hell. You will find yourself teleported, blown up, fighting invisible assailants, and bears that are spawned in. This really screws with online missions with built in time limits.

Now the solo story mode (not online) is excellent and reminds me of the GTA quest structure, plus it’s out in the American West, in a beautiful environment not the inner city, so it’s a slam dunk. I’ve not finished the solo story mode yet. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: howiest

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I finished replaying Star Wars: Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2), and it was a pretty incredible run ... I had forgotten just how exhausting some of those levels were! I failed to get the 3D acceleration working properly, so the textures in the Valley of the Jedi in particular were horrific. I started the Mysteries of the Sith stand-alone expansion, but too many crappy textures once again and I was done for now.

Am currently fiddling with VtM: Bloodlines, Unreal Gold, Divine Divinity, Soldier of Fortune 2, Arcanum, and Neverwinter Nights 2 ... trying to figure out what I actually want to play.

Reactions: imrazor and Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I put down Rise of the Tomb Raider and re-started Fallout New Vegas. I never really did too much with this game in the past, but with time on my hands, why not. I have no idea how far I am into the game, but I suspect I'm pretty deep. I'm about to locate Benny in New Vegas. The storyline is a lot deeper and I found out that I need to be careful of my dialog choices as they can only appear once. I've taken to saving the game often so I can backtrack if I made a mistake.

Reactions: imrazor and Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I already have some issues with the game balancing Wargaming has executed to make a destroyer equal to a battleship. Last night a desrtoyer came around an island and hit me with 6 torpedoes which was fatal. The tier system in this game is completely artificial and that applies to torpedoes shot from a T10 destroyer vs a T1 destroyer, and then some can launch 20 torpedoes in a salvo? I call them obscene. ;)

If you look at WWII sub weapon delivery systems they (subs) are extremely slow. They lie in wait, don’t chase for their prey. I just don’t know how Wargaming could make them semi-realistically competitive in their Random Battle dynamic without having special sub battles.
Good points and well said.

I hadn't noticed the OP gameplay really. I'm such a casual player anymore that when I do load up the game I just get in there, try to sink some ships for a little while and leave.

If I were more of a serious or competitive player, I'm sure those things would bother me.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I put down Rise of the Tomb Raider and re-started Fallout New Vegas. I never really did too much with this game in the past, but with time on my hands, why not. I have no idea how far I am into the game, but I suspect I'm pretty deep. I'm about to locate Benny in New Vegas. The storyline is a lot deeper and I found out that I need to be careful of my dialog choices as they can only appear once. I've taken to saving the game often so I can backtrack if I made a mistake.
I forget if I posted an article here comparing Fallout New Vegas with Fallout 3, but I think it said, F3 had better exploration, but FNV had a more in depth story?

Reactions: txa1265

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
Now the solo story mode (not online) is excellent and reminds me of the GTA quest structure, plus it’s out in the American West, in a beautiful environment not the inner city, so it’s a slam dunk. I’ve not finished the solo story mode yet. :)

I should've said, I'm in solo mode and haven't finished it either. But it's a really fun ride so far.
I faded out with GTAV, too much to deal with... but I plan on going back to it one day. I did the same with Mafia 3, but again I hope to revisit it.
I'm old fashioned I guess, because Mafia II, and, Max Payne 3, are way up there on my list of the best FPS games in my experience. The Wolfenstein series is also very good.
I'm a bit limited because I play PC games, and not console games.

Anyway, RDR2 is taking me to new levels of game production and I'm happy for it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I should've said, I'm in solo mode and haven't finished it either. But it's a really fun ride so far.
I faded out with GTAV, too much to deal with... but I plan on going back to it one day. I did the same with Mafia 3, but again I hope to revisit it.
I'm old fashioned I guess, because Mafia II, and, Max Payne 3, are way up there on my list of the best FPS games in my experience. The Wolfenstein series is also very good.
I'm a bit limited because I play PC games, and not console games.

Anyway, RDR2 is taking me to new levels of game production and I'm happy for it.
To be frank, GTA turned me off because I don’t like role playing as a gangster. I don’t choose to hurt people who get in my (unlawful) way. RDR2, that element is there, but it’s easier to overlook because of the environment. :)

Reactions: howiest

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
To be frank, GTA turned me off because I don’t like role playing as a gangster. I don’t choose to hurt people who get in my (unlawful) way. RDR2, that element is there, but it’s easier to overlook because of the environment. :)
I was never a huge fan of the GTA games (also don't like how they control on PC) ... but had fun with 'Vice City Stories' on the PSP driving around listening to 80s music! :D

atari4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019
64727418886ea72d711e09e078b3bb6e.jpg

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
A blast from the past (2001): the original Ghost Recon. It's very weird how the game's plot is that in 2008, Russia invades the South Ossetia region of Georgia purportedly in support of a separatist movement there, and in the actual August of 2008...erm, Russia invaded the South Ossetia region of Georgia purportedly in support of a separatist movement there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm still chugging with fallout new vegas, and I just crossed into the came where I had to start siding with a faction (if you want to call it that). I decided to side with the NCR, and so I dealt with Mr. House, and I've largely been vilified by Ceasar at this stage. I'm doing some BoS quests and they're pretty much jerks in this game, not that they were great in FO4

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm still chugging with fallout new vegas, and I just crossed into the came where I had to start siding with a faction (if you want to call it that). I decided to side with the NCR, and so I dealt with Mr. House, and I've largely been vilified by Ceasar at this stage. I'm doing some BoS quests and they're pretty much jerks in this game, not that they were great in FO4
I feel like I’m winding down with F4 as I have very little left to do outside of NukaWorld, and I really don’t want to be questing on behalf of raiders. I understand there is a way to work for them a while and then take a quest to purge the raiders. I’ll have to look into that. I could also go back up to the radio active island, but that’s not been a favorite area either.

Reactions: imrazor

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I understand there is a way to work for them a while and then take a quest to purge the raiders.
You can, but Garvey while still handing out quests will never be friendly to you again (he won't be hostile, he'll just complain).

In some ways, I think being a raider fits better with the game, especially if you have cait as a companion. I've chosen not to side with the raiders of NukaWorld while using Sim Settlements.

btw, I have a number of settlements that won't go to level 4 for some reason. I've reached all of the requirements and have all the junk needed but nothing more is happening with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Answered here:

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This maybe interesting. Today I was browsing and found a link to a game Westworld Mobile, so I went to the App Store to read up on it, but no joy. And then I read that a lawsuit from Bethesda (Games) claimed that this game copied their game, Fallour Shelter, and shut it down. However the description of creating hosts in the link provided does not sound like Fallout Shelter at all which I played for a while until it got too busy to suit me. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No real argument from me because I never played Westworld Mobile.

However my comment was based on Fallout Shelter’s stacked vault rooms on top of each other , that you dig out and assign workers to each room for some kind of vault production, including whoopee. ;) By the description, the Westworld game had you building hosts with specific characteristics to entertain guests, where the new vault dwellers could be shuffled to any kind of production which sounds fundamentally different to me. What eva... :)

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I haven't been playing many sequential games as of late, as I am pretty busy. I do play Minecraft, Sauerbraten, and some of the Touhou games in my free time though. Haven't played Touhou exremely recently though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.