Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm still playing tomb raider and I'm actually very surprised at the depth of the game, it just keeps going on and on. A number of times, I thought I was at the end, only to find out I'm not. That's in no way a complaint, though I know I'm nearing the end. I recall reading some complaints about this game when it came out, like our Lara wasn't sporting her dual guns, and the reliance on the bow, not as many puzzles, etc, yet aside from not adhering to what made the Tomb Raider franchise famous, its been a really fun game.
Keep playing, then you will see the dual guns :cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Keep playing, then you will see the dual guns :cool:
Oh I know, recall reading somewhere, sometime she gets them - this is the origin story, of her turning into the kick-ass laura croft.

Like I said, this game has been a lot of fun and it just keeps on going - quite a far cry to newer games that are smaller and then expect you to buy more content.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I picked up 'Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York' on the Switch and that is pretty fun so far. Also playing the new Neverwinter Nights DLC on Mac and replaying Star Wars Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) on the PC.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Have played through it a couple times only using keyboard and mouse. It has some tricky/annoying parts I could see a controller would make it easier but, what's the fun if not for annoyances! ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I picked up 'Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York' on the Switch and that is pretty fun so far. Also playing the new Neverwinter Nights DLC on Mac and replaying Star Wars Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) on the PC.
Holy Crap, somehow I missed this! I’m a huge Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines Fan.

823FF70A-575A-4541-A66C-EC9CA6F5B956.jpeg

I located this new title 'Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York’ (Dec 2019) on Steam. It‘s a visual novel, which is being critiqued for several issues, primarily lack of RPG character development, and where the choices you do have are meaningless to the end result. That’s what happens in visual novels sometimes. That said, it’s praised for its atmosphere, music, and a chance to revisit the VTM ecosystem. That may be enough for me and note there is a Bloodline 2 game in development. I started a thread about it, and it just laid there. :p

Reactions: txa1265

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I played that one titled Tomb Raider, which was good, C-130 crash?
Nope, this was an origin story where she gets ship wracked on an island in the devil's triangle that is seemingly supernaturally controlled and she battles a cult who's trying to ressurrect the dead queen who's controling the weather.
1585579990902.png

I’ve also got Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2017?),
I have that my MS game pass, I started it a while ago and it didn't grip me, maybe I'll circle back on that now that I thouraghly enjoyed this game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nope, this was an origin story where she gets ship wracked on an island in the devil's triangle that is seemingly supernaturally controlled and she battles a cult who's trying to ressurrect the dead queen who's controling the weather.
View attachment 902312

I have that my MS game pass, I started it a while ago and it didn't grip me, maybe I'll circle back on that now that I thouraghly enjoyed this game.
Yeah that‘s the one, and I remember when she’s on the ground running from a plane crash at one point, yes?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah that‘s the one, and I remember when she’s on the ground running from a plane crash at one point, yes?
Yep, one of the rescue attempts which failed because of the weather rose up and caused the plane to crash.

Overall it was a fun game and since it was on steam for free a couple of weeks ago, it was well worth the price :D

Reactions: Huntn

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I located this new title 'Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York’ (Dec 2019) on Steam. It‘s a visual novel, which is being critiqued for several issues, primarily lack of RPG character development, and where the choices you do have are meaningless to the end result. That’s what happens in visual novels sometimes. That said, it’s praised for its atmosphere, music, and a chance to revisit the VTM ecosystem. That may be enough for me and note there is a Bloodline 2 game in development. I started a thread about it, and it just laid there. :p

Yeah, it is definitely not like Bloodlines (or even Redemption) ... I will have to check out the thread, Bloodlines is an all-time fave of mine (as is everything by Troika), and I pre-ordered Bloodlines 2.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I re-started Rise of the Tomb Raider, given how much fun I had with the older game. The skills I picked up playing the first game is helping me with this one. Given that my wife is using my new monitor and I'm on an old one, I have no way to hook up this monitor to my EGPU.

My point is that this game is pushing my laptop hard. I'm easily getting 60FPS thanks to my Razer Blade Advanced with a RTX 2070, but the temps are on the high side and the fans are blasting. I like my EGPU because it offloads a lot of the heavy lifting to a desktop class GPU. Oh well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, it is definitely not like Bloodlines (or even Redemption) ... I will have to check out the thread, Bloodlines is an all-time fave of mine (as is everything by Troika), and I pre-ordered Bloodlines 2.
It’s too bad Troika is kaput. For myself there is a question of how true to the original will Bloodlines 2 be. There is something magic atmospherically/musically about the original. I’ll wait for some reviews after it lands. I have played through the original game 3 times.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
since we are all quarantined, thinking about pulling up the old school runescape and giving it another go.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I haven't played it since January, so I wouldn't call it a habit. How do I find what level I'm at?
Based on whatever ships you’ve earned was the gage I was using. I’ve got one L9 ship I’ve earned through XP (USS Iowa) and one through coal accumulation. (Jean Bart). I do all Random Battles and even now can only take WOWS on a limited basis, faced with really inept players, and unorganized teams on a periodic basis. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Based on whatever ships you’ve earned was the gage I was using. I’ve got one L9 ship I’ve earned through XP (USS Iowa) and one through coal accumulation. (Jean Bart). I do all Random Battles and even now can only take WOWS on a limited basis, faced with really inept players, and unorganized teams on a periodic basis. :)
I see. Here is my tech tree.

World of Warships 04_05_2020 04_21_43 PM.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I see. Here is my tech tree.

View attachment 903857
I see you like cruisers. When I first started I was playing all three classes of ships, but later settled on battleships. However now that I’m up close to L10. I see that cruisers at that level are killers. and the freaking destroyers can shoot like 10- 20 torpedoes. that is completely ridiculous for the sake of game balancing, IMO.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I see you like cruisers. When I first started I was playing all three classes of ships, but later settled on battleships. However now that I’m up close to L10. I see that cruisers at that level are killers. and the freaking destroyers can shoot like 10- 20 torpedoes. that is completely ridiculous for the sake of game balancing, IMO.
I do have the most fun with CLs. I think they have the best balance between speed, weaponry, and armor. That allows me to get into the fight more and quicker compared to the BB's, and I can survive longer than the DDs. The only ones I've not tried yet and that I'm in no hurry for are the CVs.

I did buy the CA Dallas just now. Shiny.

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.04.05 - 19.47.36.85.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I do have the most fun with CLs. I think they have the best balance between speed, weaponry, and armor. That allows me to get into the fight more and quicker compared to the BB's, and I can survive longer than the DDs. The only ones I've not tried yet and that I'm in no hurry for are the CVs.

I did buy the CA Dallas just now. Shiny.

View attachment 903909
Nice... CV, me neither. They were experimenting with subs, but not sure where they are with that. I don't think subs would work, just because the the game is too dynamic and leave the subs behind, unless they started them in the center, but it would change game dynamics drastically imo. How can you do anti-sub work, when you are in the middle of a full fledged surface battle?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Nice... CV, me neither. They were experimenting with subs, but not sure where they are with that. I don't think subs would work, just because the the game is too dynamic and leave the subs behind, unless they started them in the center, but it would change game dynamics drastically imo. How can you do anti-sub work, when you are in the middle of a full fledged surface battle?
I remember seeing some news about subs being introduced last year, but nothing lately. I'd love to see them in the game for sure. Game dynamics are a concern for sure, but I bet it could all be worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.