Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I bought Rocket League on Steam at the beginning of the month and it's so much fun. I hardly ever game on my Mac but this has sucked me right back with it's joyous gameplay. I'm pretty bad at it but it's such a laugh.

Yeah, definately a classic. I howl with laughter watching my two young sons playing it. I'm allowed to play the non-competetive games, as they don't want their rank dragging down or something. Cheeky kids ;)

Razzerman

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Loving NOLF 1 & 2 once more thanks to A thread on a RPG site that brought them back to mind ... took a bit to get them both running and widescreen enabled, but glad I did! Sadly they are no longer commercially available.

Trying to get Arcanum to work, but while the floating text and sound and cutscenes are all good, I can't see any of the actual game - tried on both my Win10 Alienware and Win7 HP laptops … ugh. I know there is something related to single core affinity to help with performance, and also Direct Draw for visuals … have to try that.

Also playing Shiren the Wanderer on the PS Vita … came out earlier this year, was on an awesome Amazon sale last month, had played the DS version (which was a port of a different game in the series) and loved the hardcore rogue-like feel. Still training (there are about 50+ training modules you can do in the first town!), but love the feel of the game!

TechZone

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Currently playing Mafia III, Path of Exile ( Best free must try game) and Grim Dawn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I bought Rocket League on Steam at the beginning of the month and it's so much fun. I hardly ever game on my Mac but this has sucked me right back with it's joyous gameplay. I'm pretty bad at it but it's such a laugh.

How often can you do a single hit at the start of the match into your opponent's goal? :) If you are lined up straight turbo mode and let off prior to contact with the ball for the score. You'll know you held turbo too long if you bounce off the top of the goal. This works surprisingly often. :D

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
I've had it happen a few times but noticed it's less prevalent online as other players pile in to avoid it happening to them. If I hang back in goal I always dread it happening to me as my jump boosts are a bit off the mark :)

Still loving the game at the moment, it's great fun, really addictive but I'm still pretty poor at it and struggle to judge my jumps/boosts/timings etc to meet the ball properly on quite a regular basis. I'm glad I can't hear what my team mates at the time would be saying :D In fact, I can never hear any of the verbal stuff, despite seeing the icon pop up next to players' names every now and then. Is that common?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Started playing Hearthstone (yeah, I know I'm a few years late). Holy crap, I'm addicted. In the past 2 weeks I've constructed 13 or 14 different decks. I've made it down to Rank 16 and I can't seem to get any further on ranked play. Bought all the solo adventures and am working through them in between 1v1 matches.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Since I had a bootcamp partition running, I decided screw it and installed Overwatch.

Runs on low, which isn't a surprise given my rMBP only has Iris Pro graphics, but the game runs smooth as butter. Visually it's a touch worse than the PS4 version with fewer visual effects. But it runs remarkably well.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you have Windows capabilities, check out Conan Exile, a sandbox, survival, base building game. Released in Jan 2017, in pre-release status on Steam. It's still being developed but currently has decent building abilities and although the desert is not my favorite biome, the Unreal Graphics Engine makes it beautiful.

As far as I know, this is the first game with full frontal nudity built in without useing a mod. There is a nudity filter so it can be turned off, partial or full nudity. Unlike Bethesda Software games, these human models are attractive. :)

Right now, there is base building, hunting, huge sand storms, crafting and thrall capturing, turning natives into your slaves to do chores for you including base defense. Future plans call for more lore, quests, biomes/map enlargement, (aiming to be larger than the Skyrim map), expanding crafts, expanding thrall abilities, a city system, farming, mounts, sorcery, expanded religions, and raids by NPC parties. The craft system is reasonable. Yes, there is lots of grinding for mats. :)

However, creative play/building is available via an easily assessable Admin interface.

There are both PVP and PVE servers. If you are familiar, server setup is similiar to Ark:Survival Evolved, small servers able to handle 25-50 players, I'm participating in an online PVE server, and have a large solo game build titled Port of Tanis. Here is an example, a mountaintop religious complex, featuring temples for the 3 Gods currently in-game. I believe more will be introduced.

257AB61373DD3275920C1C0CCC80C69C864E2338

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
I just started playing Thimbleweed Park, the point and click adventure game from the guys that did Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, etc. I'm only a few hours in but it's a lot of fun.

It's available for the Mac via Steam, GOG or the Mac app store. It will be coming to iOS but not for at least a few months yet...

Reactions: Beamerboy

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I just started Alien: Isolation but I just can't seem to get into it! The atmosphere is great but the pacing is so slow-moving. It just seems to be one big game of 'Hide and Seek'. I'm going to put it aside for now and try something else.

Any recommendations!?

richmlow

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
So...I bought a racing wheel (Thrustmaster TMX) so that I would be able to enjoy F1 2016 a little more. Ended up going on a bit of a spending spree to pick up the most highly rating sim/racing games.

Currently playing with rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally as well as F1 2016.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm starting to get bored with Conan Exiles (PC + console). I have yet to do the new dungeon, but it's reported as minimal, not up to WoW standards by any means. Keep in mind the game is in alpha. The best aspect of it right now is building and thrall capturing. A new biome and city management features, like farming, putting more abilities on thralls, and more lore (which right now consists of rocks that light up with messages) is scheduled for this summer.

I reinstalled Sub Nautica (PC + console) also in pre-release status and will give that some more exercise.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I just upgraded my main machine, so replaying a few games at much higher settings. XCom: Enemy Within, Special Ops: The Line, and Life is Strange, and Starcraft 2.
Planning to get Bootcamp going so I can replay Call of Duty 3, Ghost Recon AWF 1&2, Medal of Honor, and a few more.

Yes, I am busy :D

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Playing the heck out of F1 2016 on my Mac Pro along with Quantum Revenge and Stellar Wanderer on my Apple TV.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I had to rebuild my Alienware 13 ... which is 2 years old and lasted 9 months before acting funky. Did little things here and there with support and replaced a couple of things - eventually they shotgunned it and I now have new logic board, new RAM and new hybrid drive. And it has functioned for a month better than ever. Whew ... now back to gaming :)

Reinstalled a bunch of stuff, but playing three games:
- Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - I managed to play the original campaign last year on another computer but wanted to work through this expansion again. Wonderful!
- Fallout 4: this is the game I was playing when the laptop started dying the first time, so I had only played ~20 hours. Now going through it again, still looks great and having a blast.
- Half-Life 2 - was in the mood for a shooter, this will do.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is currently on sale (Steam) for just shy of €5, so I thought I'd check it out. I'd heard a lot of good things about it, mostly that it makes for a relaxed evening gaming. You can tune in to internet radio whilst in your truck and just cruise around Europe. Makes a change from sliding around corners at break neck speeds.

Reverse parking with the trailer on take some practice, but I'm getting better.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My current active play list July 2017:

* Smite- Moba I've been playing for over a year, but took a 6 month break from it cause I got distracted by games such as ARK, Survival Evolved, and Conan Exiles.

386360_screenshots_20161201211451_1.jpg

* Planet Coaster- Build it and they will come! Started this back around Christmas, decided it was too intensive for building, set it down for 6 months and have started it again. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's still a ton of work to build structures, but the rollar coaster building is the easy part in the game.

planet_coaster_beta_11.png

* Dark and Light- Got talked into this by some friends. Similiar to ARK: Survivial Evolved, and am not yet sold in it. I've finding the early stages to be repetitive. It could be the been there and done that syndrome, not necessarily for this game, but for the survival building genre in general.

323f061156eccb12f090af5262894647d9d8a7e5.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.