Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
For me, it would be at least 128 GB (minimum) storage. We were really balling with 16 GB iphones even less than 10 years ago lol.

So my rommmate/best friend has been using an iphone 6 for the last 9 years. 16 GB at that. Just constantly deleting **** all the time or dealing with apps that don't necessarily work anymore properly.
For him, it really just worked so he never bothered to upgrade.

Well, the universe finally intervened today when he visited me at the bar i worked at and later left his phone on the roof and it went flying (we live literally across the street so he was fine to drive) and someone ran over it. The phone surprisingly still works albeit completely bonkers screen but after convincing him to treat himself and move to the actual new age, we went to the apple store.

Homie JUST got an iphone 15 Pro Max today (he got something better than me) and immediately he was caught off guard with the lack of Touch ID and the gestures.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Hmm, 128GB of space, the durability, the screen size, the speed, using it as a camera with my Mac, I’m sure there are a lot of iOS features that I have in this that I wouldn’t in my previous phone.
I literally was staring at him when he said it only had 16 GB lol. I thought it was at least 32 or 64.

I struggled with 64 on my iphone 12 lol

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can't think of anything I'd lose. Literally, all I use my phone for is calls, texts, some emails and a bit of light web browsing or news when out. My 2009 HTC Touch Pro can still handle that. Every phone I've upgraded to since then has simply been because I wanted to. And as far as storage, I always buy the max capacity offered.

My Touch Pro allowed for an 8GB SD card. iPhone 5 was 64GB. iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus were both 128GB and my current phone is the 11 Pro Max at 512GB.

I literally sit in front of a computer with eight monitors from the time I get up to the time I go to bed with a few daily excursions. And there are five other computers around my main computer with more in the garage. Two of these are my actual work Macs. I literally don't need any features the iPhone offers - everything I need is right at my fingertips. It's more of a hassle to reach over and grab my phone.

I suppose I'd miss dark mode, but I had that already with jailbroken iPhones since 2013. No biggie.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I use my iPhone for actual phone calls for messages and for listening to audio books.... I have an iPhone 13 with 128GB and more than 50GB free and the vast majority of apps I rarely use. I still have a iPhone 3G but it doesn't really work in today's cell/internet environment otherwise I could go back no problem.

Yes I'd miss carplay probably most but since I grew up with actual road maps I could live without that as well.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
3DTouch made iPhones feel like proper advanced computers. It was very snappy and responsive. Now every time I deal with a newer phone, the slow-touch always feels like some kind of sluggish input knock-off feature Android would come up with.

You’re not me

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
The speed of the 15PM, Wi-Fi 6E, the amount of battery time, landscape mode for the Lock Screen, the dynamic island. These are just of the top of my head, I’m sure I can come up with more.

Last edited:
Reactions: swiftapplefan

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
How about the one “feature” that makes you hate Apple products?

For me, and I am only saying for me, it’s the notch/dynamic black hole! I can’t stand it. I want so badly for Apple to put FaceID under the display so it doesn’t ruin my experience with the display. I love my Nothing Phone and its beautiful display. I would happily put an A17 Pro SoC in the Nothing Phone and run iOS and be much happier. I would also be much happier with a Galaxy Ultra running the A17 Pro and iOS.

I guess I have disliked Apple’s hardware and loved the ecosystem for years as I really don’t find the hardware from a physical design standpoint even good. They take some amazing parts and ruin the user experience with stupid design language decisions.

It’s like the new MacBook Pros with HDMI and SD Card slots. I would prefer another Thunderbolt to the SD Card slot for sure. And in the M1 Macs, the HDMI 2.0 really ruined the experience. As it was less capable than a Thunderbolt port. Now, can make a case for the HDMI 2.1 port. But the NOTCH is a major step back. I have a black wallpaper, and I hide the Menu Bar. And I just don’t want to have to see it for anything. Again, Apple trying to ensure everyone knows you’re using a Mac by destroying the user experience.

The M series SoCs are quite amazing. Apple would be better off with spending some money hiring back Forestall and find some creatives who can design an authentically great user experience from the hardware design perspective as Apple dominates when it comes to the actual SoC but have to again ruin the display experience.

Such choices are all about money now to line the pockets of Timmy. $100m per year in stock grants. Life must be tough destroying the future of the company for money now. I suppose it’s the nature of shareholders in these mega corporations.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
How far back are we going. Some things off the top of my head that have been milestones over the years

- the AppStore
- Copy/Paste
- multitasking for apps
- 4G (minimum) but preferably 5G
- water resistance
- Biometrics
- wireless device backups
- wireless software updates
- larger displays
- USB C (definetly do not want a 30 pin connector in my life) and Qi
- ApplePay

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
The weight. It wouldn’t hold my papers down as well.

Seriously though, I’m now on XR and considering getting SE3 next. I have hard time coming up with something I would actually miss…

FaceID: Really handy but I’m ok with TouchID no problem

Bigger screen: Don’t really care much about this because my use case is email, safari and messaging.

Camera: Cameras been ok like already on my iPhone 6. I take quick pics of random everyday stuff. For me cameras on iPhones are overhyped and the camera bumps are ridicilous.

Battery life: Maybe I will miss battery life although I now have 85% capasity left so SE3 might feel the same.

Is there something else I’m missing? Probably not important if I cant remember.

What I definetly won’t miss is the weight and bulkiness of this XR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.