Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Honestly? The camera. People say the camera improvements are leveling off but the difference between the 13 Pro and the 15 Pro to my eye is immense. The difference between the 11 and the 15 is a ravine. I take at least one photo a day and frequently take as many as 20. I want to have the best possible images to look back on.

Reactions: Flamingdeathbolts

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Incredible that a small cutout in the screen evokes this much of a response. The notch/dynamic island allows us to have more screen space rather than a giant bezel at the top of the display by moving the clock and status area to opposite corners of the camera instead of taking up a row of status bar space below the giant bezel where the cameras are. I don't understand why this is such an issue. The alternative of having huge bezels above the screen sounds awful and very dated at this point. The notch/island didn't take anything away from you. It ADDED screen area you didn't have before.
None of the other phone makers have this issue? Happily take a small punch hole for the camera. That’s all it needs. Why ruin the display of the Macs with design language so everyone knows the person is using a Mac as no other customer would put up with that idiocracy.

• Haha
Reactions: missingar

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
FaceID, the size, camera, storage. I do a lot of camera work as a hobby and I’m obsessed with the 15PM camera. I’ve come to love the action button for triggering the camera in a rush, as kids and cats don’t pose for a long time.

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I'm genuinely surprised that 3 pages going on and yet no one has mentioned this: document scanning, saving and/or sharing with just the camera app. This feature alone has been making my life more efficient significantly.
Of course, along with that feature there are some other for me as well: battery life, performance, and faceID.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Honestly? The camera. People say the camera improvements are leveling off but the difference between the 13 Pro and the 15 Pro to my eye is immense. The difference between the 11 and the 15 is a ravine. I take at least one photo a day and frequently take as many as 20. I want to have the best possible images to look back on.
I always feel the cameras get worse over time, but maybe it’s just my brain processing the images better, being nit picky, or maybe it’s just little scuffs on my lenses I can’t see? I’m also pretty sure Facebook is listening to me all the time too because of ads I get so I dunno. 🤷

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Nothing really. The phone is a great phone but IOS really hasn't changed much in the last 10-15 years. Yeah promotion is great and the Camera works, but I don't really use the Camera as much as others and when I first heard the term "ProMotion" in this context, I thought Apple was offering a discount. I think the only thing that would make IOS better is just a complete rethinking and fixing of the notification center. It's the one thing on Android I miss.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Can anyone tell me what Machine Learning features of iOS 16 are powered by the A15 that aren't supported by the A11 Bionic? Aside from cutout on pictures, and "get info" on dog, cat and plants pictures. Thank you

The weight. It wouldn’t hold my papers down as well.

Seriously though, I’m now on XR and considering getting SE3 next. I have hard time coming up with something I would actually miss…

FaceID: Really handy but I’m ok with TouchID no problem

Bigger screen: Don’t really care much about this because my use case is email, safari and messaging.

Camera: Cameras been ok like already on my iPhone 6. I take quick pics of random everyday stuff. For me cameras on iPhones are overhyped and the camera bumps are ridicilous.

Battery life: Maybe I will miss battery life although I now have 85% capasity left so SE3 might feel the same.

Is there something else I’m missing? Probably not important if I cant remember.

What I definetly won’t miss is the weight and bulkiness of this XR.

I'm really enjoying my SE3, but coming from an iPhone 8, the only thing I really notice is battery life and a faster performance overall. The camera is almost the same, and for 2023 I consider it mediocre.

Aside from that, I'm really happy because of how lightweight, compact, and durable this smartphone is.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
None of the other phone makers have this issue? Happily take a small punch hole for the camera. That’s all it needs. Why ruin the display of the Macs with design language so everyone knows the person is using a Mac as no other customer would put up with that idiocracy.
Other phone manufacturers don't have truly secure face unlock. I'd take the pill cutout for like 5 more years if it means we get to keep FaceID.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I always feel the cameras get worse over time, but maybe it’s just my brain processing the images better, being nit picky, or maybe it’s just little scuffs on my lenses I can’t see? I’m also pretty sure Facebook is listening to me all the time too because of ads I get so I dunno. 🤷
Some of the 14 Pro photos I've seen looked worse than my 13 Pro (usually to do with HDR processing) but I find the 15 Pro is superior in every way to the 13.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Other phone manufacturers don't have truly secure face unlock. I'd take the pill cutout for like 5 more years if it means we get to keep FaceID.
I would happily switch back to TouchID if it meant I don’t have my user interface and display ruined.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
5G midband. LTE is way too congested at my workplace.

Also, last time we went on vacation, in some places the OG SE had no signal while the iPhone 11 and newer did so I guess the wider LTE band support and antenna/modem upgrades is pretty critical for basic phone functions.

Reactions: kc9hzn

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I can live without a phone, though I think many would get impatient waiting for me to respond to them via postal mail.

Reactions: Ajungi

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
120Hz refresh rate is the one for me. Anytime i use other phones without it i feel like my brain or the phone is glitching.

USB C is a close second. Being able to use most charging cables in contemporary society is a big deal.

CarPlay. I refuse to own a car without CarPlay.

Reactions: PegasusTenma

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
For me, it’s probably LED, FaceID, the camera quality, and the Action Button (which I use as a shortcut launcher).

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
120Hz refresh rate is the one for me. Anytime i use other phones without it i feel like my brain or the phone is glitching.

USB C is a close second. Being able to use most charging cables in contemporary society is a big deal.

CarPlay. I refuse to own a car without CarPlay.

Same, 120Hz is super important for me now.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Has there really been a notable improvement in durability over the past few iterations? If there has been, I guess I am missing it. I’m still disappointed in Apple’s kingdom of geniuses and future-lookers they still sell the equivalent of glass cars without bumpers... but I bet the genius marketers and accountants congratulate themselves every year at Bonus time for still fooling the world into purchasing an unprotected glass version of the object they carry around (and drop) more than their car keys and thoughts.

Back when phones set on a table or desk and prime to be “gussied up” as shiny decor in some fashion, they weren’t made of fragile glass. Ah but I guess the makers of those plastic phones weren’t caught in the shareholder revenue growth expectations Apple is snared in. :)
Vs an early gen model, yeah, I’d say so. The OG iPhone and the iPhone 5C had plastic shells. Waterproofing wasn’t a thing until the iPhone 7. Plus the screens are more shatter resistant than older models.

Reactions: Tozovac

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I'm genuinely surprised that 3 pages going on and yet no one has mentioned this: document scanning, saving and/or sharing with just the camera app. This feature alone has been making my life more efficient significantly.
Finally someone mentioned this! Having the ability to scan documents (in the native Notes app), saving documents to the Files app and easily downloading, sending and receiving documents of various file types is a godsend. It was one of mine, any many others, critique of the iPhone's limitations of the past. The 'walled garden' approach was always a pain in the A for me, but now it's not an issue at all. I've always used my smartphones to their maximum potential. I'll never understand why anyone would ever by such expensive devices and not use them to the fullest. For that reason, and many other limitations previous iPhones had, I skipped every version prior to the iPhone X and used Symbian, Android and BlackBerry 10 devices instead. Also, I love FaceID, the increased storage and the swipe gestures (the latter was actually first implemented on BlackBerry 10). USB-C is also much welcomed, and of course the camera improvements (even though I feel the camera has been sufficient for several years now, and I hate how the camera bump keeps growing and growing). :)

• Love
Reactions: SamRyouji

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
First experienced the OLED display on the 12-mini, and the OLED on my 13-mini is even better.

On a hand-held, I would adamantly refuse to go-back to what I held, prior ;)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I do this on my iPad Pro. Weaker camera system but the large display makes previewing a lot easier.

• Love
Reactions: SamRyouji
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.