Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
You know this is a solid point. I wouldn't even consider cars that didn't have it when I got my current car.

Felt the same way at first… and now i got a Tesla and don’t miss anything.

Honestly not sure what i would miss on a legacy device. Using home button would bother me at first, but i‘d get used to it.

I guess it would mostly be apps that don’t run anymore.

Dade Murphy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
As fragmented as Android is, I would probably still be using it if Apple didn’t get rid of that dumb AF home button. You don’t want gestures, fine, give me a proper nav bar.

Thankfully, not only have they switched to gestures, but it’s also the best implementation of it that I have come across.

aries81

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2021
Well, the universe finally intervened today when he visited me at the bar i worked at and later left his phone on the roof and it went flying (we live literally across the street so he was fine to drive)

Lives across the street, still drives. Okay

Ontopic: FaceID is handy.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
For me, it would be at least 128 GB (minimum) storage. We were really balling with 16 GB iphones even less than 10 years ago lol.

So my rommmate/best friend has been using an iphone 6 for the last 9 years. 16 GB at that. Just constantly deleting **** all the time or dealing with apps that don't necessarily work anymore properly.
For him, it really just worked so he never bothered to upgrade.

Well, the universe finally intervened today when he visited me at the bar i worked at and later left his phone on the roof and it went flying (we live literally across the street so he was fine to drive) and someone ran over it. The phone surprisingly still works albeit completely bonkers screen but after convincing him to treat himself and move to the actual new age, we went to the apple store.

Homie JUST got an iphone 15 Pro Max today (he got something better than me) and immediately he was caught off guard with the lack of Touch ID and the gestures.
Thanks for posing the question! I will say, I could live without it, but I really enjoy the Dynamic Island. It’s just such a charming, enjoyable, useful piece of UI

It’s very entertaining, thinking about your friend’s super-old phone being chucked and run over. It was time. But it’s still a selling point for iPhones; they last forever.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
For me, it would be at least 128 GB (minimum) storage. We were really balling with 16 GB iphones even less than 10 years ago lol.

So my rommmate/best friend has been using an iphone 6 for the last 9 years. 16 GB at that. Just constantly deleting **** all the time or dealing with apps that don't necessarily work anymore properly.
For him, it really just worked so he never bothered to upgrade.

Well, the universe finally intervened today when he visited me at the bar i worked at and later left his phone on the roof and it went flying (we live literally across the street so he was fine to drive) and someone ran over it. The phone surprisingly still works albeit completely bonkers screen but after convincing him to treat himself and move to the actual new age, we went to the apple store.

Homie JUST got an iphone 15 Pro Max today (he got something better than me) and immediately he was caught off guard with the lack of Touch ID and the gestures.
1. Minimum 256GB storage: My first iPhone was 6s plus. I bought 64 GB storage. But after I got XS Max, I never went back to anything less than 256GB Storage
2. Amazing Camera: iPhone always had one of the best camera, ever since 4S. But I think it was the triple lens setup of 12 Pro Max that was the game changer. After that I would never go back to dual camera setup of non pro models
3. Full screen: Ever since I bought XS Max, where they replaced the home button and bezel with Notch later Dynamic Island for 14 PM, I cannot live without it and will never touch an iPhone SE that still have that class old home button.
4. Capturing video in stereo format: Before iPhone XS Max, I wasn't happy with videos recorded in mono format. With XS Max not only they added the option on stereo recording but also digital Dolby effect.
5. Amazing stereo speakers: Before XS Max, iPhone had mono speakers with the sound not loudest compared to its competitor. Thank God they listened to customer and added stereo speakers with great quality, loudness and bass
6. Top notch mobile CPU/GPU: Despite having good performance / benchmarks, iPhone CPU was way behind its competitors in terms of specs, with XS Max, it changed, ever since then, iPhone CPU blows any other mobile CPU out of water.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Full screen display for me. When I look at my mother-in-laws 7 Plus (which still works amazingly well) display and look at how much was wasted in bezels top and bottom vs the amount of real estate today, it would be hard to go back.

I’m more impressed your friend was using a 9 year old phone. Unbelievable that Apple still sells the identical design in the SE 2022.

Reactions: Timpetus

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
…the durability…

Has there really been a notable improvement in durability over the past few iterations? If there has been, I guess I am missing it. I’m still disappointed in Apple’s kingdom of geniuses and future-lookers they still sell the equivalent of glass cars without bumpers... but I bet the genius marketers and accountants congratulate themselves every year at Bonus time for still fooling the world into purchasing an unprotected glass version of the object they carry around (and drop) more than their car keys and thoughts.

Back when phones set on a table or desk and prime to be “gussied up” as shiny decor in some fashion, they weren’t made of fragile glass. Ah but I guess the makers of those plastic phones weren’t caught in the shareholder revenue growth expectations Apple is snared in. :)

Reactions: maverick786us

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
As long as I don‘t have to go back to an ancient iPhone without a retina screen I really don‘t need much. Had to use an iPhone 7 for a month when my XR broke and it was perfectly fine to the point I was considering staying with it. Having longer batterylife on newer phones is great but the size and weight of the older ones is unbeatable. Also you don‘t mind scratches so much when the phone is worth below 100 bucks, so caseless and stressless 😎😂

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Nothing really. I used an OGSE for 8 months last year and it could pretty much do everything my iPhone 13 can do. The only real difference is camera quality however that’s not a deal breaker for me.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Has there really been a notable improvement in durability over the past few iterations? If there has been, I guess I am missing it. I’m still disappointed in Apple’s kingdom of geniuses and future-lookers they still sell the equivalent of glass cars without bumpers... but I bet the genius marketers and accountants congratulate themselves every year at Bonus time for still fooling the world into purchasing an unprotected glass version of the object they carry around (and drop) more than their car keys and thoughts.

Back when phones set on a table or desk and prime to be “gussied up” as shiny decor in some fashion, they weren’t made of fragile glass. Ah but I guess the makers of those plastic phones weren’t caught in the shareholder revenue growth expectations Apple is snared in. :)
In my experience yes, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone walking around with a cracked screen. 5 years ago or so I’d say 4 out of 10 phones I saw out and about had cracked screens.

Reactions: Sorinut and Tozovac

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
In my experience yes, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone walking around with a cracked screen. 5 years ago or so I’d say 4 out of 10 phones I saw out and about had cracked screens.

Gotcha. I agree that the water resistance durability has increased, thankfully! And glass, over the years.

Although, respectfully, couldn't what you see also be a result of other factors such as:
  • Users simply replacing/upgrading more often than 5 years ago for many reasons (more compelling features...stronger desire to have the latest...FOMO...better financial incentives from carriers to keep people in the upgrade stream...perhaps some worsening in the price or ease of battery replacements)
  • Easier and/or less expensive buy-to-own replacement options than 5 years ago (with more phones sold, there could be more refurbished and pre-owned stock)
  • Improved user behavior to be more careful after another 5 years on top of the the prior 2007-2017 decade of learning that glass Swarovski phones are (unfortunately) here to stay, so we better adapt with our care towards our phones or pay the price
FWIW, adding to my subjective food for thought above, I looked for articles about "historical iPhone durability" and "iPhone 15 durability" and only found "worse now in certain ways" sentiment and little "has never been better" sentiment.

"Recently, a series of drop tests carried out in Australia suggested that the iPhone 14 Pro is far more robust than the iPhone 15 Pro and now Zack Nelson has posted a video on his JerryRigEverything YouTube channel which indicates that the iPhone 15 Pro Max should be handled with care."

"Technically, aluminum is less durable than the stainless steel chassis. It’s true. However, for a smartphone, it does the job. In fact, aluminum is sometimes preferred by phone manufacturers like Apple for its softer material, which makes it easier to manufacture and therefore cheaper and more affordable for consumers.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Waterproofing in the last ~7 versions has been wonderful. I remember taking my 3G to the Apple Store and they’re looking in the headphone jack for that little piece of paper or whatever. Now I take it into the ocean for videos with my kids.

This thread has a lot of great features listed, and I love many of them. CarPlay, copy/paste (especially across devices…Apple wizardry!), wireless charging, AirPlay . . . but for me it’s ultimately the added durability and usability of not worrying about water ingress.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Gotcha. I agree that the water resistance durability has increased, thankfully! And glass, over the years.

Although, respectfully, couldn't what you see also be a result of other factors such as:
  • Users simply replacing/upgrading more often than 5 years ago for many reasons (more compelling features...stronger desire to have the latest...FOMO...better financial incentives from carriers to keep people in the upgrade stream...perhaps some worsening in the price or ease of battery replacements)
  • Easier and/or less expensive buy-to-own replacement options than 5 years ago (with more phones sold, there could be more refurbished and pre-owned stock)
  • Improved user behavior to be more careful after another 5 years on top of the the prior 2007-2017 decade of learning that glass Swarovski phones are (unfortunately) here to stay, so we better adapt with our care towards our phones or pay the price
FWIW, adding to my subjective food for thought above, I looked for articles about "historical iPhone durability" and "iPhone 15 durability" and only found "worse now in certain ways" sentiment and little "has never been better" sentiment.

"Recently, a series of drop tests carried out in Australia suggested that the iPhone 14 Pro is far more robust than the iPhone 15 Pro and now Zack Nelson has posted a video on his JerryRigEverything YouTube channel which indicates that the iPhone 15 Pro Max should be handled with care."

"Technically, aluminum is less durable than the stainless steel chassis. It’s true. However, for a smartphone, it does the job. In fact, aluminum is sometimes preferred by phone manufacturers like Apple for its softer material, which makes it easier to manufacture and therefore cheaper and more affordable for consumers.

Me personally I use a crappy clear plastic case on my phone, drop it constantly and haven’t had a problem. Something I can’t say about my previous phones. Maybe the 11 was just the pinnacle of durability for them? As for others, at least people I interact with they keep their phones longer than before. I rarely see people buying a phone every year or two like I did say 4-5 years ago.

Reactions: Tozovac

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I think FaceID would be the first thing I would notice, and after that the general slowness an iPhone 6 would have, and then finally the camera. I have gotten used to being able to whip out my iPhone 15 Pro and taking a shockingly good photo in almost any situation.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Features introduced in iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max and the punch hole that Apple loves to brand as Dynamic Island... The Dynamic Island somehow eliminated notifications/animations from being in the middle of the screen...

I still dislike the iPhone 12 series... Apple should have never introduced it... Next generation connectivity (5G) but smaller battery capacity...

I'm still debating whether I should have waited for iPhone 15 Pro Max or stick with my mid-cycle purchase of iPhone 14 Pro Max... I'm also thinking of switching to a smaller model due to size and weight although the larger screen/display and larger battery outweighs that...

Last edited:

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
How about the one “feature” that makes you hate Apple products?

For me, and I am only saying for me, it’s the notch/dynamic black hole! I can’t stand it. I want so badly for Apple to put FaceID under the display so it doesn’t ruin my experience with the display. I love my Nothing Phone and its beautiful display. I would happily put an A17 Pro SoC in the Nothing Phone and run iOS and be much happier. I would also be much happier with a Galaxy Ultra running the A17 Pro and iOS.

I guess I have disliked Apple’s hardware and loved the ecosystem for years as I really don’t find the hardware from a physical design standpoint even good. They take some amazing parts and ruin the user experience with stupid design language decisions.

It’s like the new MacBook Pros with HDMI and SD Card slots. I would prefer another Thunderbolt to the SD Card slot for sure. And in the M1 Macs, the HDMI 2.0 really ruined the experience. As it was less capable than a Thunderbolt port. Now, can make a case for the HDMI 2.1 port. But the NOTCH is a major step back. I have a black wallpaper, and I hide the Menu Bar. And I just don’t want to have to see it for anything. Again, Apple trying to ensure everyone knows you’re using a Mac by destroying the user experience.

The M series SoCs are quite amazing. Apple would be better off with spending some money hiring back Forestall and find some creatives who can design an authentically great user experience from the hardware design perspective as Apple dominates when it comes to the actual SoC but have to again ruin the display experience.

Such choices are all about money now to line the pockets of Timmy. $100m per year in stock grants. Life must be tough destroying the future of the company for money now. I suppose it’s the nature of shareholders in these mega corporations.
Incredible that a small cutout in the screen evokes this much of a response. The notch/dynamic island allows us to have more screen space rather than a giant bezel at the top of the display by moving the clock and status area to opposite corners of the camera instead of taking up a row of status bar space below the giant bezel where the cameras are. I don't understand why this is such an issue. The alternative of having huge bezels above the screen sounds awful and very dated at this point. The notch/island didn't take anything away from you. It ADDED screen area you didn't have before.

Reactions: Timpetus

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
CarPlay. Otherwise I could probably get by on an Original iPhone 2G.
My $18 Anker Roav in my 2014 Yukon beats CarPlay in my '23 Odyssey. I'd say it might be a dead heat for anything with wireless CarPlay but you can't beat wireless connectivity in a 10 year old truck. It's not worth buying a brand new vehicle. I could probably even upgrade to a new head unit in the truck and get the same kind of app connectivity on a screen if I wanted and still not have to buy a new car for it.

As for the OP, downgrading is temporary and I wouldn't be carrying out "normal" phone operations on a backup phone. It would simply be a phone and nothing more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.