Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So for a while I've been using the modded eBay iPod - which is FINE, but the build quality was kind of shotty. I kept reading great praise about the 5.5 generation iPod as the pinnacle of sound and mod-ability so I finally caved and got one. While there are some aspects I really like about it, I'm overall a bit disappointed (most of it on me).

I got a 512 GB model from PiratePTiPods on Etsy and the build was fantastic. My issues with the 5.5 generation as opposed to the 7th generation:

PROS:
  • I really like the white-faceplate with black click wheel contrast.
  • The click wheel itelf is more click-y than the 6th/7th generation.
  • Flat album art with more 3D progress bar on now playing.
  • Scrolling and navigating menus are snappier.
CONS:
  • The 5.5 generation has some hiss with my IEMs that isn't present on the 7th generation (Moondrop Kato)
  • While I knew the 5th generation had simpler software, I think the little accents such as listing the number of songs in a playlist or the artist of albums/songs in a playlist is nice and helps identify items when you have many songs of the same name.
  • Slower in some regards than 7th generation. Outside of scrolling, booting up the device, waking from sleep, and even changing songs can be slower than the 7th generation. Sometimes album art is missing for a few seconds which never happens on my 7th generation.
  • No playlist folders - this is on me for not researching enough, but I never thought to check. Playlists are my primary way of listening to music and the 5th generation just shows ALL playlists in a list and doesn't respect the folder structure from iTunes whereas the 7th generation does.
  • Stutter on playback with some lossless tracks. Some of my music (24-bit ALAC from Bandcamp) stutters on this iPod to the point where I can't listen to it and while it's playing navigation lags tremendously. I know it's because the iPod is sampling the 24-bit down to 16-bit, and while I'm not an audiophile - I don't want to convert my library on each sync. The 7th generation has no issue playing any of my files with no slowdowns.
The playback issues coupled with some little things I knew I was giving up such as star-rating on the now playing screen, the ability to change shuffle settings from now playing, and the ability to drill down to an album from the now playing screen make me think that I'll look toward either buying or modding my true "dream" iPod from a 7th generation. I also think overall the font on the 5th generation isn't as nice, but I'm not sure if they changed fonts or just weight, though the larger U.I. in general on the 5th generation is nice. I'm disappointed because I really like the 5th generation's design and the fact that's it's easier to open will be a huge plus down the road, but I think all the above are deal breakers. On me for paying out the nose for it though :confused:

Also, I couldn't really tell a difference between the 5th and 7th generation sound, but I only did minor test and didn't really expect a night and day difference.

Attachments

• iPod1.jpg
    iPod1.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 233
  • iPod2.jpg
    iPod2.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 133
  • iPod3.jpg
    iPod3.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 128

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
No playlist folders - this is on me for not researching enough, but I never thought to check. Playlists are my primary way of listening to music and the 5th generation just shows ALL playlists in a list and doesn't respect the folder structure from iTunes whereas the 7th generation does.

I recently discovered this too, I also use playlists a lot and having everything in one big list is not ideal for me. So I’ve gone back to my 7th gen iPod as my daily driver. Likewise I couldn’t hear any sound quality difference with the 5.5 gen, but either my ears or my headphones aren’t good enough to tell! 😅

One thing where I did feel the 5.5 gen was better was the screen. Comparing picture quality on video playback, the 5.5 gen had a better colour balance and was brighter overall, even when both screens were on minimum brightness. Maybe there are different screens out there and I just have a duff one in my 7th gen or a good one in the 5.5, but certainly the picture was better on the 5.5 in my estimation.

Overall though, I would agree the 7th gen is the one to go for (although they’re a huge pain to open for modding compared to the 5.5!)

2009 mac user

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2022
Most that still browse the iPod forum are collectors, but what iPod(s) do you actually use regularly? What model and generation?

Personally, I mostly use my 3rd and 4th gen Nanos, I feel safer using them over my Classics due to flash storage. Sadly the batteries are getting worn, and some other issues are cropping up. Looking at getting a replacement soon, but not sure what model to choose. I also use my 2nd gen Shuffle sometimes, just throw it on and play some random tracks.
I usually alternate between my green third gen iPod nano and silver 6th gen iPod classic. I used to use my iPods all the time when I was stuck at home, but now usually just use my iPhone+airpods since I am on-the-go more often

Reactions: Apleeseed84

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I fixed up my old ipod 7th gen classic But they ran out of black parts and had to resort to switching it to the apple classic white!!! Not bad to say the least hehehe

The last picture is just the extra parts from the old black one next to the updated one!

i messed up the action button but it’s livable! I have gotten a lot of compliments just taking it out in the wild to be honest

Attachments

• F92D47BD-4D07-4153-8BA6-B168244C8012.jpeg
    F92D47BD-4D07-4153-8BA6-B168244C8012.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 6D96097E-335A-40FC-8B26-A28C9E6F1110.jpeg
    6D96097E-335A-40FC-8B26-A28C9E6F1110.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 184E4EF2-002E-44EC-8B3E-CDF092DEEB5D.jpeg
    184E4EF2-002E-44EC-8B3E-CDF092DEEB5D.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 676DB06F-BBB9-4E0F-9D6D-26C0C7B4C7DE.jpeg
    676DB06F-BBB9-4E0F-9D6D-26C0C7B4C7DE.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 103

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I don't really use my iPods anymore, unfortunately (I have carplay in my car, so the iPhone wins here), but here are my 3 Classics. All of them work perfectly and are in mint condition. I've had them since new, and have definitely put them through their paces. I really miss using them, but there just isn't much use case for them anymore. :(

IMG_3813.jpeg

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I find my 7th gen has probably the best DAC of anything in my house, and it makes better use of my K240s monitors than my phone does. Might be good to just sit down and listen to music or maybe go on a jog or something without getting notifications and phone calls left and right.​

NotMyName

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
7th Gen iPod Classic 160GB for me. This has been used heavily. It is constantly connected to my head unit in the car which also keeps it charged while I drive (so probably not the best thing to do). I've had it for 10 years or more now.
When I go to the gym, I take it out of the car & use it at the gym.
If I catch a train somewhere then I use it there.

And still to this day, can't fault the battery or performance etc.

Once in a blue moon it'll freeze so I have to shut it down, but it's technology & technology has a hissy fit some times.

Reactions: lepidotós

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Latest gen ipod classic 160GB. I used it in my car and it was great because I could choose from albums, artists etc. via the radio. Have been doing that since 2006, when I connected my then 20GB ipod with my Alpine radio. It would also charge and have a full battery when I got out and continued on foot.
I also used it extensively during travels, since the battery life is humongous compared to smartphones. And then I could turn off the smartphone and safe battery during flight, long train rides etc.

I used it regularly until I got the iphone Mini and merged the ipod and mobile into one device. I'm still not 100% happy with it, since the ipod ran more stable. However, less devices is the way to go for me.

All music that I bought/ripped is in ALAC, while for bought audio books I accept MP3.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
At the moment for my "daily drivers" I use the iPod Nano 2nd Gen (product Red, 8 gigs, found it on eBay for a good price) around my house, along with the 3rd Gen Nano that I got a while back (still runs very well, has a good battery too) and I use the iPod 2nd Gen as well (which came pre-loaded with reggaeton, bachata and a Glee song for some reason, but I still kept 'cause it was a time capsule) and the 7th Gen (which has podcasts and most of my music library on it) with Bluetooth devices/outdoors.
iPods.jpeg
Ipods 1.jpg
Ipods 3.jpg

For bigger devices, I also have an iPod Classic 5th Gen that needs seriously fixed, a 3rd Gen with a dodgy battery that I can't get open, and a Classic 6th Gen that needs a new battery. I also have a bunch of Touches, Nanos, some Minis, and Shuffles that I occasionally pull out and play around with. Maybe when I have time, I will go a group photo, lol.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I have three last gen (7?) 16gb iPod Nanos. I love my Nanos and use one everyday. If Apple were to create a new Nano then I wish it had updated Bluetooth, fast forward (like a Shuffle) and more memory.

Reactions: Soondae

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I have three last gen (7?) 16gb iPod Nanos. I love my Nanos and use one everyday. If Apple were to create a new Nano then I wish it had updated Bluetooth, fast forward (like a Shuffle) and more memory.
I'm with you, if Apple would have released a 64Gb or 128Gb version of the Gen7 I would buy it in a minute. As it is I have 2 ea. one in my car for everyday use and another as a backup and occasional use.

Reactions: magentawave

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Ive been using my Ipod touch 4th gen, 32gig. Great just to have for music on the go and some old games that still work on it. Mainly use it when i need to go for a run. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.