Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
We have one of these and OMG do I wish it had bluetooth.
If I could use it with AirPods I'd be in total running/biking heaven.

I know they won't, but I really wish they would release a new shuffle with bluetooth that perhaps syncs up Apple Music playlists (or however they'd need to tie it in to justify it).

The watch is absolute and total overkill to accomplish this task (and I think it sucks at it actually)
No lie, if they released a new shuffle today, I’d be first in like to get one. I used the crap out of my old 2G shuffle; sadly the battery is completely dead, and the only replacements I can find are all straight from China :(

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
No lie, if they released a new shuffle today, I’d be first in like to get one. I used the crap out of my old 2G shuffle; sadly the battery is completely dead, and the only replacements I can find are all straight from China :(

I loved my seventh gen Nano. But my wife took it for walks and so I carry my iPhone 7+ which is not ideal.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
My 13yo inherited my iPod Nano 2nd Gen. I got it refurb the year after he was born. He just brought it to me to see if I had a power cord for it, as he's broken the one I gave him. He could in theory load all of its contents onto his iPhone 7, but he likes the iPod.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
My 13yo inherited my iPod Nano 1st Gen. I got it refurb the year after he was born. He just brought it to me to see if I had a power cord for it, as he's broken the one I gave him.

They don't seriously sell for $1000 on eBay do they?!
Sealed sometimes they do. The 1st gen Nano used to be pretty expensive even in beat up condition, but the price has deflated greatly in the last year and a half for some reason. They're mostly collectibles now especially due to the battery explosion issue.

Reactions: pshufd

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Sealed sometimes they do. The 1st gen Nano used to be pretty expensive even in beat up condition, but the price has deflated greatly in the last year and a half for some reason. They're mostly collectibles now especially due to the battery explosion issue.

I posted the above without checking "Completed" sales. They generally get $20 each on average, but there's a few people trying to sell them for about $1k - $2k. You'd want a really good specimen for that, I'm thinking!

Not sure how long the battery lasts in my son's Nano - it's essentially always plugged in. Hasn't swollen or anything as yet...

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I posted the above without checking "Completed" sales. They generally get $20 each on average, but there's a few people trying to sell them for about $1k - $2k. You'd want a really good specimen for that, I'm thinking!

Not sure how long the battery lasts in my son's Nano - it's essentially always plugged in. Hasn't swollen or anything as yet...

Apple had a recall on the first gen iPod Nano and they replaced them with the 6th gen iPod Nano. I would have guessed that this removed a lot of the first gen Nanos from consumers. I had one with a dead battery in a drawer and claimed the 6th gen which I loved. But my wife wanted something for her morning walks and confiscated it and she uses it to this day.

I would use it in the gym or with certain kinds of running when I don't feel like bringing my phone. I still have my iPod Nano 5th gen but I prefer wireless headsets these days.

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
After a surprisingly involved bit of case prising and battery soldering, I’m now using a 1st gen nano as my go to iPod. They are lovely little devices. However, it did feel like a backward step in terms of repairability going from an iPod mini, where you can relatively easily slot in a new CF card or battery, to this:

A4DDB946-408F-4549-AA9F-FF4BD58406DB.jpeg

worth it though:

498529DE-C8EE-456C-8ABD-0BD93F3CD416.jpeg

The replacement battery is a millimetre thicker than the one i removed, so I’ve added some ifixit steri-strips to reassure myself:

A986C96C-1ABC-4040-B67A-70D27489C030.jpeg

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Most that still browse the iPod forum are collectors, but what iPod(s) do you actually use regularly? What model and generation?

Personally, I mostly use my 3rd and 4th gen Nanos, I feel safer using them over my Classics due to flash storage. Sadly the batteries are getting worn, and some other issues are cropping up. Looking at getting a replacement soon, but not sure what model to choose. I also use my 2nd gen Shuffle sometimes, just throw it on and play some random tracks.
The new iPod touch is nice and fast. My nieces have them and they are as fast as my moms iPhone 7+.

crobcary

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I found a new old-stock 7th gen Classic whose serial indicated a manufacture date of Aug 2014, and the battery actually lasts about as long as the tech specs say (so, 36 hours) with continuous playback. Absolutely solid daily player! I wonder if I'd be as lucky with a sealed fat Nano. I've found the Elite Obsolete/eBay "refurbs" vis-a-vis China are not the same when it comes to finish and feel.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I found a new old-stock 7th gen Classic whose serial indicated a manufacture date of Aug 2014, and the battery actually lasts about as long as the tech specs say (so, 36 hours) with continuous playback. Absolutely solid daily player! I wonder if I'd be as lucky with a sealed fat Nano. I've found the Elite Obsolete/eBay "refurbs" vis-a-vis China are not the same when it comes to finish and feel.

I have a 5th gen Nano and a 7th gen Nano. The 7th gen Nano was a freebie from Apple when they recalled the first-gen. I used to use it for running until my wife swiped it. The problem with the 5th gen is that it doesn't have Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth adapter but it only runs for two hours with the adapter. They are nice and small and you can play videos on them. Great devices.

crobcary

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I have a 5th gen Nano and a 7th gen Nano. The 7th gen Nano was a freebie from Apple when they recalled the first-gen. I used to use it for running until my wife swiped it. The problem with the 5th gen is that it doesn't have Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth adapter but it only runs for two hours with the adapter. They are nice and small and you can play videos on them. Great devices.
Oh, I don't doubt that it's a great player. I want one for the gym (don't want to take my hard-disk iPod Classic to CrossFit), but I'm nervous that a sealed nano battery won't be good after nearly a decade. I got very lucky with the Classic, but the nano battery is a smaller cell and isn't nearly as replaceable. I guess I could get a final-gen nano, which would be more recently-made, but I don't really love the touchscreen interface.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I've only got one, it's this rockboxed 7th gen I got handed down for my 15th birthday and have been using regularly for the last 6 years. Still using the same model of earbuds, too, even if the actual originals were lost when I threw them in the same bag as a pair of nail clippers. RIP original Bose SoundSports 2016-2019, your openbackness helped me not die as the one person insisting on commuting on a bicycle in a small city.
IMG_20220310_121841.jpg

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Most that still browse the iPod forum are collectors, but what iPod(s) do you actually use regularly? What model and generation?
I was still using the final iPod Nano that was released, until a few weeks ago. It'd been in regular use since I bought it, upon launch. Sadly it seems to have gone missing, along with my Klipsch headphones ?

I'll probably buy an alternative music player now- **** wireless, and **** dongles.

• Love
Reactions: lepidotós

BritishWolf

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Currently using the 7th gen black iPod Classic 160gb and have a spare unused white ipod Classic 160gb in my drawer for when my other one dies whenever that is.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.