Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
I have an iPod photo, but I use my 3rd gen iPod most of the time, (pretty much just because I love the way it looks). The DAC in both pods are ok, but I really want a 5.5 gen if I can find one for a good price.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So when I bought my modded iPod Classic I kind of did it on a whim and initially felt some regret because with iOS 14 coming I planned on creating a Music-centric home screen and there are so many good iOS music apps like Miximum for smart playlists and the upcoming Backtracks for music statics.

However, after using it for a bit I don't regret it at all. It's a pure frivolity, but I find the device charming and I miss that simplistic (and not translucent) Apple design aesthetic from the late 2000s. I may get a blue faceplate to replace mine.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I still have and use an iPod nano 5g with an old Sony RDH-SK8IP. The iPod has a bad battery but it doesn't move from the Sony so, all good.

I love how you can just turn on the Sony, so the iPod's screen turns on and you just use the click-wheel to select your music and just hit the play button.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: robotica

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
None anymore. I was contemplating buying the 7th gen iPod touch. In the end I bought an original iPhone SE.

When I got my 2020 SE that is what I did with my original SE as well. It now serves as a glorified iPod that streams my music collection to my various Homepods. I do not have Apple Music, the SE is simply streaming my iTunes catalog when I am not near my Mac mini.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I considered using my iPhone 7+ but too big and heavy so I sold it. Too bad—an iPod with truly decent battery life was hard to resist.

I bought a 256GB Touch 7, mostly for use as a portable recorder so I don’t have to use my 11 Pro. I have Shure and Zoom microphones that I use. I use it as a music player, too, but not very often.

My Shuffle 3 is Velcro’d to my PA as a background music player between sets when I play live. I clip my Shuffle 4 to my lapel when I fly—or when I used to.

My iPhone gets used as the music player in my car. I tried using my Touch 6 as the car player through USB and Bluetooth but phone calls caused interference When using both so I went with the iPhone only over Bluetooth with a USB cable for charging only. The Touch 6 was sold over eBay yesterday.

jsm94

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I just got a 7th generation iPod nano to use exclusively an FM radio as I walk around town. I'm not a huge fan of the audio quality of streamed internet radio, so this was a good solution for me in addition to my 11 Pro. The fact that it charges via Lightning is also a perk.

I liked it so much I even made a video essay about it.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I just went on a trip and brought my Video 5.5 and Classic, both flash-upgraded. The interface is sort of awkward with that much music on it, but it works; 340gb on one, 400 on the other.

Reactions: mikehalloran

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Most that still browse the iPod forum are collectors, but what iPod(s) do you actually use regularly? What model and generation?

Personally, I mostly use my 3rd and 4th gen Nanos, I feel safer using them over my Classics due to flash storage. Sadly the batteries are getting worn, and some other issues are cropping up. Looking at getting a replacement soon, but not sure what model to choose. I also use my 2nd gen Shuffle sometimes, just throw it on and play some random tracks.
I have 2 iPod Nano 7th gen. I love this model over my old classic and Touch. One stays in the car hooked up to Kenwood head unit and the other for gym use, etc...

Reactions: mikehalloran

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Most that still browse the iPod forum are collectors, but what iPod(s) do you actually use regularly? What model and generation?

Personally, I mostly use my 3rd and 4th gen Nanos, I feel safer using them over my Classics due to flash storage. Sadly the batteries are getting worn, and some other issues are cropping up. Looking at getting a replacement soon, but not sure what model to choose. I also use my 2nd gen Shuffle sometimes, just throw it on and play some random tracks.
I mostly use my 6th gen Touch due it having the most storage space out of all my iPods.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I mostly use my 6th gen Touch due it having the most storage space out of all my iPods.
That… Although my 6th gen Touch was still viable, I upgraded to the 7th gen because of future iOS and MacOS compatibility. Also, my 6th was still worth quite a bit used. It was nearly a wa$h so I struck while the opportunity to sell was hot.

Reactions: arefbe

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That… Although my 6th gen Touch was still viable, I upgraded to the 7th gen because of future iOS and MacOS compatibility. Also, my 6th was still worth quite a bit used. It was nearly a wa$h so I struck while the opportunity to sell was hot.
The iOS 14 music app is the first iOS music app I haven’t utterly loathed since the  Music redesign. Although, not sure why they changed the “Library” position in the bottom tab.

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
The iPod(s) I *use* - to be responsive to the topic subject - are two 7th gen touches. I'm going to ascribe the silliness of having two, to a little pandemic-related cooped-up insanity. :rolleyes: You know, my brain which can work in odd ways anyway, going off on a tangent. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. There's a Red 128 GB version, which holds my entire iTunes (or whatever they call it now) library and a considerable number of audiobooks. And a black 32GB version. I'll skip the backstory; bottom line is that one lives in the car and one in the house though yeah I don't really need both.

I also own three other iPods which aren't being used now:
  • A Classic (model A1238) originally 80 GB, which has been modified with a 128 GB SSD
  • A 3rd gen 64GB Touch
  • A 6th gen 8GB Nano (the square one)
Just before the pandemic shutdown I was car shopping. On a test drive at a dealership I asked the nice young salesman about the audio system in the vehicle, mentioning that I keep my music library on an iPod in the car, linked to the car audio system. He said something like, "Wow. I haven't even heard anybody talk about iPods for years." Way to go, sonny. Insult the customer. ? I mean no harm to those who want to consume all their audio by streaming, but the more old fashioned alternatives ain't dead yet.

Last edited:

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I replaced the iPod Nano 2nd Gen I've been using at work with a Classic 6th Gen I purchased on this forum (thank you @peapody !). She tricked it out with a 128GB SSD, so now I can have my whole iTunes library on it (vs. just a fraction of it on the 8GB Nano). It has been amazing!

rebornjumpman

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
South Carolina, USA
I'm mostly using my iPhone 8 Plus right now for music and podcasts but have been tearing up my house trying to find my old 160 GB 6th gen Classic. The drive is dead but I want to try to fix it and get back to using it. Other than that I've got a 2 GB 2nd gen Nano and an 8 GB 4th gen Nano that I had been using and passed down to the kiddos.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
In my car as the source of music: iPod Classic 7th gen.

When I run: iPod nano 7th gen (primarily), iPod nano 4th gen (2) and iPod nano 5th gen.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I still use 4 iPods on a regular basis:
- iPod touch 5th gen 64gb (podcasts)
- iPod nano 5th gen 16gb (car music player via USB)
- iPod nano 7th gen 16gb (podcasts)
- iPod nano 2nd gen 4gb (car music player via USB)

They all work well still, although the battery on the iPod nano 5th gen could use a replacement.

Syncing them via Big Sur is a challenge (as it was under Catalina) when you are trying to add album titles that have the same name (Greatest Hits) and have to hope I pick the right one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.