Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The big benefit of the iPod touch iOS interface is text search.

If I search for "Dav" I might get Dave Brubeck, David Bowie, Miles Davis.

If I want to play the soundtrack to "Schindler's List" I just need to start typing a few letters rather than scrolling through my albums. If I want Franz Schubert or Richard Schumann, I only need four letters.

I sure did love my last iPod (a classic) before it died. I still have a shuffle and a touch left.

I created an entire U.I. Based on Shortcuts. The widget lets me launch playlists from the lock screen and the home screen icons launch playlists or albums because I have no other apps for the homescreen.

it’s a much better experience than on any of these HiFi DAPs with terrible slow software.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have a 128GB 6th generation iPod touch. It might be my last iPod touch and I've owned on since the very first generation.

Going forward, I will probably use an old iPhone. Last year, I bought a 512GB iPhone XS with the intent of using it as an iPod for years to come.

Streaming services are nice but less useful on 11+ hour transoceanic flights that have piss-poor (and expen$$$ive) Internet connectivity.

My only qualm about using recycled phones is they’re so large and heavy. The iPhone XS is a hefty device. I love how small the iPod is, though my ideal would be an iPhone SE chassis for better battery life.

if the iPhone SEEMS had 256GB I’d consider it.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
IMG_0007.JPG
Here's my iPod Video. Battery is running great, and sound is pretty good without using external DAC. IMO this was the best HDD based iPod they made, they all were pretty good but this was a nice mix of classic design and modern features.

I am almost certain now that today has seen the most posts in one day on iPod forum in years. (not counting pre-merge iPod Touch forums, this thread predates that)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yours appears to be in pretty good shape still. Not sure how much it was used back when. Is it the regular 5 or the 5.5?
This iPod had heavy daily use for many years in my truck. I loaded it up with music and connected it to the stereo head unit and I used that to listen to music as I drove along.

I had the factory protective plastic cover on the face the whole time because I kept it in the glove box and I didn't want to scratch it up. I only took the cover off in the last year when it was finally ready to come off on its own. So it was still on there for a good 12 years!

I had to look up the serial number to find out, and it is the 5.5 version.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I wanted to add some screenshots just for fun. Using the Shortcuts widget I can launch most of my playlists from the lock screen and I intend to fill my empty home screen with Shortcut icons for more music launchers. I love utilizing the custom playlists artwork.

IMG_0043.PNG IMG_0044.PNG IMG_0045.PNG IMG_0046.PNG IMG_0047.PNG IMG_0048.PNG IMG_0049.PNG

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
IMG_1426.JPG

Just ordered the first upgrade: the kokkia i10s aptX bluetooth adapter to pair with the Sony WF-1000xm3. Next upgrade will be to remove the battery and hard drive for a 250GB mSata drive or 128 x 2 Micro SD Cards, But before doing this upgrade I need to find out which is more energy efficient. For the battery I have 3 options: 1400mAh, 1900mAh and 3000mAH. I might install the 1900mAh for this is a 3.7v and the 3000mAh is 3.8v.

The original hard drive is performing really good but the kokkia i10s for what I have read it will suck a lot juice from the battery for that reason I have to change and upgrade the battery and remove the hard drive.

I was wondering the other day, Why I did not bought a classical iPod before? This device is beautiful!

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
IMG_0542.JPG

The Kokkia s10 bluetooth transmitter did not pair with the Sony WF-1000XM3, but was very easy to pair it with the AirPods 2. The sound is really good, I might be wrong in this but I think that output from the 30 pin connector is superior to the sound reproduced by the headphone jack. This device is expensive but gives extra powers to the iPod Video Classic, now it has the ability to communicate to the headphones without wires in stereo sound. Next upgrade is the battery and hard drive with new internal cables.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
The Kokkia s10 bluetooth transmitter did not pair with the Sony WF-1000XM3, but was very easy to pair it with the AirPods 2. The sound is really good, I might be wrong in this but I think that output from the 30 pin connector is superior to the sound reproduced by the headphone jack. This device is expensive but gives extra powers to the iPod Video Classic, now it has the ability to communicate to the headphones without wires in stereo sound. Next upgrade is the battery and hard drive with new internal cables.
I think that when an iPod is used for sound through the 30-pin connector, it bypasses the iPod's DAC and is just a data transmitter. I might be wrong about this because it's been a while since I heard about it.

Reactions: robotica

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Hey all! Still using my iPod shuffle for running every now and then. Though my Apple Watch paired with my Jbud Airs is superior. But sometimes I enjoy the nostalgia of the shuffle. It truly revolutionized running/fitness.

Attachments

• 6CA120E8-8660-4CD1-AEC5-906AD2A35295.jpeg
    6CA120E8-8660-4CD1-AEC5-906AD2A35295.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 272

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
iPod Nano 4th gen, or a first generation one for when I'm feeling plucky. Usually I just use my iPhone or computer though.
I try to keep my music off my phone for a few reasons, namely weight, durability, storage, and battery. The nanos were excellent units, I have a 3rd gen and 4th gen that are in good shape but battery is weak.

Sadly the price to buy a first gen Nano now is a bit absurd, especially considering the battery defect. I see 1GB models going for 5 times or more the price of a Nano 2nd gen 2GB.

Reactions: TokMok3

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I think that when an iPod is used for sound through the 30-pin connector, it bypasses the iPod's DAC and is just a data transmitter. I might be wrong about this because it's been a while since I heard about it.

I think you are right on that. The 30-pin connector transmit in binary and the headphone jack in analog. I tested with the Jams 1( 2 year old bluetooth earphones) and the sound was horrible. For the record: I installed Rockbox and the Kokkia was not recognized. Apple AirPods 2 do a great job connecting and disconnecting from the Kokkia and connecting with an iPhone X. It's a good product, I just hope that it last at least 3 years with constant use.
[automerge]1578617877[/automerge]
I try to keep my music off my phone for a few reasons, namely weight, durability, storage, and battery.

I think you are right on that. Playing my music has been killing my phone battery.

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I still use a 160GB iPod Classic, iPod Nano 8GB 5th Gen and the original 2001 iPod (Scroll Wheel) 5GB Firewire.

Reactions: sorgo †

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Have a 6 gen iPT that’s pretty much dunzo. Can only be plugged in to use. May possibly pick up a 7 gen for music and media consumption.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I try to keep my music off my phone for a few reasons, namely weight, durability, storage, and battery. The nanos were excellent units, I have a 3rd gen and 4th gen that are in good shape but battery is weak.

Sadly the price to buy a first gen Nano now is a bit absurd, especially considering the battery defect. I see 1GB models going for 5 times or more the price of a Nano 2nd gen 2GB.

If you put more music on it, does it make it weigh more? My 256 XS is already pretty hefty I can't imagine it getting heavier... Maybe a 64 would have been lighter.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
If you put more music on it, does it make it weigh more? My 256 XS is already pretty hefty I can't imagine it getting heavier... Maybe a 64 would have been lighter.
Carrying around a device constantly, especially for exercise, you don't want to think about the fact that it's there. I don't believe there's much of a weight difference between the storage capacities, flash chips are so light that it wouldn't add onto it. Back in the hard drive iPod days, they did get heavier because the hard drive weighed more.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Neill

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I have the first generation Shuffle which I mainly use as a flash drive when I want to get photos printed at the lab. And a gold fourth generation Shuffle which I use when at the gym (I tried putting music on my Apple Watch instead but my only bluetooth headphones are BeatsX and I can't wear them very often as I don't really like having something in my ear). And an iPod Photo which I have recently brought out of retirement to use on my daily walk (now that we are not permitted to attend gyms).

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Using 7th gen iPod Touch 256 GB since my three decade iTunes library over 140 GB and growing, pushing the actual 148 usable GB of my two 160 GB Classics.
Touch is significant improvement with Bluetooth streaming to my $50 Taotronics earphones, Alexa devices and new hearing aids.
My perception is that these new Otonics hearing aids, tuned to the individual ear are the closest thing to a live performance.
I heard Leontyne Price live at Constitution Hall in DC in the '60s, and her iTunes tracks sound just as good in my skull now.
Taotronics next best. Touch also great gadget besides music.Touch and Taotronics currently best buys for all genre IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.