Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I’ve been using my bricked iPhone 4s for an iPod Touch for my daily walk/run and some picture taking for several years. The screen is cracked but it still works. I’m in a dead zone so I use a cheap Tracfone. I thought about replacing the 4s with an Apple refurbished iPod Touch 128GB 6th generation but instead I ordered an iPhone 6s 128GB from a carrier. A better camera and a gen. newer CPU for less money.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I received my iPhone 6s from the carrier which was a brand new iPhone 6s in the Apple box. Wow, cool! I turned out to be defective :(. I’d say either a bad battery or storage. To make a very long story short, I dealt with Apple twice and the carrier once. It now sit’s in a ship box in my car to be sent to Apple for repair or hopefully replacement with like kind.

• Sad
Reactions: robotica

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
I use my 160GB 7th gen classic in my car, while my wife has a 160GB classic in hers. Both see regular use.

There is no 7th gen Classic. Only two revisions of the 6th gen.
[automerge]1590282678[/automerge]
I have a 5th gen Classic, which I bought in 2006, still running as was, no new internals. And a 6th gen 160gb Classic, which I bought in 2010, as my main music and podcast player. I don’t own a smartphone.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
There is no 7th gen Classic. Only two revisions of the 6th gen.
[automerge]1590282678[/automerge]
I have a 5th gen Classic, which I bought in 2006, still running as was, no new internals. And a 6th gen 160gb Classic, which I bought in 2010, as my main music and podcast player. I don’t own a smartphone.
I see that whole 7th gen Classic thing a lot online, even on eBay. Same thing happens with the last Nano, for some reason people consider the 2015 color refresh as the 8th gen...

Reactions: return2sendai

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I finally got my iPhone 6s, which will be my iPod Touch, back from Apple repair. As I previously said, it was brand new in the Apple box. They replaced the logic board, the screen and the battery. o_O

greekfox1

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
I use my recently bought Ipod Photo 60gb:)
W5qHNJy.jpg

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I have an iPod Touch 5 that's still on ios7. I was wrapping up some games, but for the most part, I haven't touched it for about a year (even though I still carry it with me).

I have a replacement iPod Classic (80 GB), but I have yet to use it. I got lazy about transferring the previous music off of it (it's not as straightforward since it's formatted for Mac, while I use Windows). I've been listening to a lot of Sirius XM and YouTube, but I travel MUCH less ever since COVID-19 hit.

applemanit

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Italy
Last week I bought a brand new Apple Certified Refurbished iPod classic (160 GB silver) still SEALED! Best buy of the year, hands down.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I’m not currently using an iPod, but I’ve always toyed with the notion of buying a 6th Gen Nano or getting a replacement for the 3rd Gen Nano that got stolen from me at college. While there’s not a lot of value for me to own a music-only device today (considering how good the AirPods Pro, Apple Watch, iPhone, Apple Music combo is while I’m exercising), I like the nostalgia of the old iPods, and the 6th gen iPod Nano does have an FM radio tuner that my iPhone lacks. Of course, I’d have to sacrifice wireless headphones to use the radio feature, though… (Is there a modern FM tuner for iPhone or a good portable FM HD Radio receiver?)

rainbowtapes

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
512GB 5.5 Gen with 3000mAh battery - going to solder in a bluetooth transmitter to this one at some point soon. Did a proof of concept to test and all worked great.

I've also got a 20GB (monochrome) 4th Gen that im going to upgrade with flash storage/new battery soon.

The line-out sound quality of the 5.5 through a high end Onkyo amp is absolutely night and day against Spotify on my Pro Max 11.

Reactions: TokMok3 and Kettil

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My modded iPod Classic just arrived. Looks very good in my opinion, especially for a used product. I love that the back even has the "256GB" etched onto the back. Just synced over my library and appears to be working. Setting it up really took me back. I haven't seen that U.I. since my 5th generation Nano in 2010. So simple and no-nonsense. Also, even in Catalina the sync was seamless. I stopped syncing iOS devices to iTunes long ago because honestly it always seemed very buggy.

Attachments

• IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 552

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
My modded iPod Classic just arrived. Looks very good in my opinion, especially for a used product. I love that the back even has the "256GB" etched onto the back. Just synced over my library and appears to be working. Setting it up really took me back. I haven't seen that U.I. since my 5th generation Nano in 2010. So simple and no-nonsense. Also, even in Catalina the sync was seamless. I stopped syncing iOS devices to iTunes long ago because honestly it always seemed very buggy.
One of the better iPods for sure, especially once modded with flash. I do notice that the front plate and Center button appear different, this could just be the picture quality. To me it looks like a 2007 Classic front plate with a 2008 Classic center button, they changed the shade of the black model in 2008. It does appear to be in good condition, though.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
One of the better iPods for sure, especially once modded with flash. I do notice that the front plate and Center button appear different, this could just be the picture quality. To me it looks like a 2007 Classic front plate with a 2008 Classic center button, they changed the shade of the black model in 2008. It does appear to be in good condition, though.

Yes, I believe it a slightly different shade. It's not as noticeable as it is in that photo since the button is concave and the light source was at an angle, but the button is a few shades lighter.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So far I'm very pleased with it. I love the old Apple U.I. and Aqua-style progress bar. I do which it had a dark mode though. The only thing I dislike is I hated it in 2008 or 2009 when they changed the Album art to be at a slight angle. That annoys me, but I love everything else.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
512GB 5.5 Gen with 3000mAh battery - going to solder in a bluetooth transmitter to this one at some point soon. Did a proof of concept to test and all worked great.

I've also got a 20GB (monochrome) 4th Gen that im going to upgrade with flash storage/new battery soon.

The line-out sound quality of the 5.5 through a high end Onkyo amp is absolutely night and day against Spotify on my Pro Max 11.

If you do that mod, please share the instructions.

I have the iPod Classic 5.5, the iPod Classic thin (2009), and recently I bought the Sony NW - A45 connected to the Sennheiser HD1. The Sony sounds great, but the iPod Classic Video 5.5 is really fun to listen music and it feels good to hold it in the hand, not as clear as the Sony but I personally enjoy more my 5.5. In my opinion the 5.5 sounds better than the Classic 7 (2009)

Apple should bring back the iPod Classic with state of the art technology. If some day that happens I will make a long long line (24 hours) as I did for the iPhone 6, and when finally I got to the door they sold out. ? I had to order online and it arrived on January. Now that I look back is fun to remember.

Long live the iPod Classic!!!

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

Great device, it look fantastic... congratulations!!!

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
So far I'm very pleased with it. I love the old Apple U.I. and Aqua-style progress bar. I do which it had a dark mode though. The only thing I dislike is I hated it in 2008 or 2009 when they changed the Album art to be at a slight angle. That annoys me, but I love everything else.

That user interface is fantastic. I can operate my classic 7th without looking at it. 1 click on the center for this, 2 clicks for that, and 3 clicks for the other one.

rainbowtapes

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
If you do that mod, please share the instructions.

Yeah will do - I see some pretty bad advice on the subject online. It's really not that difficult with the right tools and a steady hand! I'll try doing a video for YouTube or something.

rainbowtapes

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
I have the iPod Classic 5.5, the iPod Classic thin (2009), and recently I bought the Sony NW - A45 connected to the Sennheiser HD1. The Sony sounds great, but the iPod Classic Video 5.5 is really fun to listen music and it feels good to hold it in the hand, not as clear as the Sony but I personally enjoy more my 5.5. In my opinion the 5.5 sounds better than the Classic 7 (2009)

Totally agree. I had that Sony and it does sound good - though it's just... dull to use. 5.5 gen is a great listen, especially using Rockbox with more granular EQ control. In the hand, it's all about the 4th gen. That thing is just perfection to hold and use.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Wasn't aware that Sony still made portable music players. I haven't purchased any other than iPods in almost 20 years, I bought a cheap one just for testing purposes and found very quickly that it was a PITA to actually use. Think it was a Creative player.

iPod to me is the peak portable music player, while there are others that sound better, the iPod user interface is just classic, and I can use it without looking easily. Still use an iPod to listen to most of my music, never the phone. It's like an old friend, in a way. Always can return to it and play the same files I imported to iTunes many years ago.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
100 posts! This doesn't happen very often in the iPod forum anymore.Thanks to everyone who's posted so far, this has been a fun thread. Since it's been 100, thought I'd show my main iPods I'm using right now.

IMG_1290.JPG

Main one is the iPod Classic 160GB, 2009 revision. Using this because it has the best battery life by far of them. The 3rd gen seems to have excellent battery life for its age, but it charges at a rate of 1% for every 30 minutes for some reason, so I can't really use it. 5th gen is my secondary iPod now, works fine but battery is getting worse. Don't use the Nano much (partially because of potential battery issue) but it's a cool collector's item and has the clearest screen of them all. This is not my whole collection, but these are the most-used ones as of now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.