Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
The iPod touch (4th gen), I still use it as an alarm clock and running iOS 4.3.5. The clock isn't that accurate anyway. For some reason, I never restart or shut it down for more than 6.5 years. Next to it is the iPhone 12 mini.

IMG_0026.png

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
The difference in screen technology and quality is incredible. I use my iPhone 3G as an alarm clock still but my battery has oddly declined recently even without much use, so I'm using my iPad as an alarm now which is a bit excessive.

CC91UK

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Norwich, UK
I have a 7th gen 32GB iPod Touch but have also recently bought a refurbished Classic 5th gen. I like being able to connect it to my car via USB and select music using my car's buttons instead of a touchscreen.

Reactions: arefbe

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
No idea why I did, but I bid on an iPod nano sixth generation from Goodwill and I’m very happy with how immaculate it is.

Attachments

• 8CEBD414-0673-481F-A180-6EA8B038A6E8.jpeg
    8CEBD414-0673-481F-A180-6EA8B038A6E8.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 92400B0B-6AEB-464E-8158-398FD91C1CD9.jpeg
    92400B0B-6AEB-464E-8158-398FD91C1CD9.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 169
  • D6878399-EC49-4A75-8DE7-93B13E8DD5C9.jpeg
    D6878399-EC49-4A75-8DE7-93B13E8DD5C9.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 148

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I have an IpT5, and an iPod Classic (160 GB, or was it 80 GB?).

I haven't used the IpT5 in any mainstream use for years. Once in a blue moon, I'll fire up a game, or use the flashlight feature on it, so I'm not sure if that really counts as "using". I only carry it with me b/c it's light and takes up minimal space in my pocket!

The iPod Classic is something I replaced when it got stolen many years back, but haven't really used that either! I ended up getting Sirius XM for cheap, and they keep giving me discounts to stay with them. Even that hasn't really been used (although I'll be traveling after I get my 2nd dose). Hell, the music from the previous owner is still there! At some point, I'll need to get my own music on there (and use an alternative to iTunes. I just want some program that can transfer music on there, without all the extra bloat).

I've thought about getting an Ipod Touch 7, but it's still the same dinky, 4" screen :( Not for $300 (and at that price point, it now has to compete with a Nintendo Switch)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use an iPod Touch 4th generation, iPod Nano 5th generation (if my Bluetooth earbuds aren't working). I have an iPod Nano 6th generation which I like but my wife took it for her walks. I wish that Apple would update the iPod Touch with a recent CPU and GPS.

ElioLugaru

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2019
North Carolina
I use an iPod Touch 7th Gen, i'm on my second one.

The first iPod Touch that i bought from Walmart back in March of this year suddenly stopped working & couldn't power it on, so i took it to Best Buy to be looked at. (They're an Apple Authorized Service Provider.) They sent it to Apple. Apparently the iPod must of been completely borked as Apple just replaced it (at no cost to me.)

I guess the first iPod Touch i bought from Walmart must of been a bad one since it didn't have a charge on it when i bought it. (I had to charge it first.) Which is weird, since i know portable devices usually have a partial charge for setting up the device.)

servo205518

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Most that still browse the iPod forum are collectors, but what iPod(s) do you actually use regularly? What model and generation?

Personally, I mostly use my 3rd and 4th gen Nanos, I feel safer using them over my Classics due to flash storage. Sadly the batteries are getting worn, and some other issues are cropping up. Looking at getting a replacement soon, but not sure what model to choose. I also use my 2nd gen Shuffle sometimes, just throw it on and play some random tracks.
I don't have any iPods anymore. Just recently started looking on eBay for a new in box iPod nano 1st gen or even a classic. Man I miss the old days of iPods...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Here are the iPods that I use on a regular basis...
ipods on display.jpg

From left to right...

iPod Nano (6th gen) - I have it attached to a stainless-steel wristband and use it as the "original" Apple watch. I enjoy being able to pull out a pair of earbuds and start listening to music or podcast without the need to use my phone. And it is a fun conversation starter. :)

iPod Nano (7th gen) - Since the 7th gen doesn't have a built-in beltclip, I have a slim case with a beltclip. I use this primary when doing yardwork around the house. The clip makes it easy to clip it to my ballcap. I keep a random movie on it... because I can. :p

iPod Classic (5th gen) - I never had a classic so I found one in reasonable shape for a reasonable price. The sound quality is slightly better than the new iPod Nanos, Touches, etc.

iPod Touch (64GB, 4th gen) - This was my "workhorse" media player after I moved on from my Zune. I took it with me as my primary media device and camera on my trips to Romania. The camera on this thing was blazingly fast. Unlock and snap a pic in slightly less than a second. It took great photos (compared to what else was out there in this form-factor). I managed to take some good 3D photos as well.

iPod Touch (6th gen) - Battery life is, meh, but it serves me well to help me fall asleep at night.

iPhone SE 2016 ("iPod Touch Pro") - I moved on from the SE to a Samsung A20 and the iPhone now serves as an iPod Touch Pro. Still with great battery life, decent camera. I have it permanently installed in an Incipio Focal camera case for the iPhone 5/5S/SE and use it as a dedicated point-n-shoot camera. The accompanying software is no longer available, but the case has a very nice grip and lanyard, and helps me orient the phone correctly and hold it securely. (and at $5 + free shipping, it was the cheapest case. :D)

I've got another stack of non-iPod media devices, but I'll leave that for another subforum.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
View attachment 1786914

From left to right...

iPod Nano (6th gen) - I have it attached to a stainless-steel wristband and use it as the "original" Apple watch. I enjoy being able to pull out a pair of earbuds and start listening to music or podcast without the need to use my phone. And it is a fun conversation starter. :)

iPod Nano (7th gen) - Since the 7th gen doesn't have a built-in beltclip, I have a slim case with a beltclip. I use this primary when doing yardwork around the house. The clip makes it easy to clip it to my ballcap. I keep a random movie on it... because I can. :p

iPod Classic (5th gen) - I never had a classic so I found one in reasonable shape for a reasonable price. The sound quality is slightly better than the new iPod Nanos, Touches, etc.

iPod Touch (64GB, 4th gen) - This was my "workhorse" media player after I moved on from my Zune. I took it with me as my primary media device and camera on my trips to Romania. The camera on this thing was blazingly fast. Unlock and snap a pic in slightly less than a second. It took great photos (compared to what else was out there in this form-factor). I managed to take some good 3D photos as well.

iPod Touch (6th gen) - Battery life is, meh, but it serves me well to help me fall asleep at night.

iPhone SE 2016 ("iPod Touch Pro") - I moved on from the SE to a Samsung A20 and the iPhone now serves as an iPod Touch Pro. Still with great battery life, decent camera. I have it permanently installed in an Incipio Focal camera case for the iPhone 5/5S/SE and use it as a dedicated point-n-shoot camera. The accompanying software is no longer available, but the case has a very nice grip and lanyard, and helps me orient the phone correctly and hold it securely. (and at $5 + free shipping, it was the cheapest case. :D)

I've got another stack of non-iPod media devices, but I'll leave that for another subforum.
I'm using my 2016 SE as an iPod touch. Battery life is quite bad now so I've had to get a battery charging case.

Reactions: sracer

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
View attachment 1786914

From left to right...

what a nostalgic blast from the past!

Apple used to be more ... fun

Reactions: trevpimp and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
what a nostalgic blast from the past!

Apple used to be more ... fun
Ain't THAT the truth! :)

But that happens with all companies that grow in success... they start to play things "safe". The most daring thing they do these days is... colors. (that's a bit of hyperbole, but reasonably applicable when comparing their current offerings to stuff from 10+ years ago).

Reactions: arefbe and trevpimp

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The iPod touch (4th gen), I still use it as an alarm clock and running iOS 4.3.5. The clock isn't that accurate anyway. For some reason, I never restart or shut it down for more than 6.5 years. Next to it is the iPhone 12 mini.

View attachment 1748304

I took mine out for running this week. I didn't feel like carrying my iPhone 7+ with me. I have a 7th Nano but my wife took it. I wish that they would update the Nano though the only market is probably runners.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I took mine out for running this week. I didn't feel like carrying my iPhone 7+ with me. I have a 7th Nano but my wife took it. I wish that they would update the Nano though the only market is probably runners.
I think Apple wants to see Apple Watch + AirPods for runners than a dedicated audio player nowadays.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think Apple wants to see Apple Watch + AirPods for runners than a dedicated audio player nowadays.

I have a Garmin Fenix 5+ so I have music on my watch. The general problems with music on the watch are:

• The cross-body problem in that signals have a hard time going through the body to to receiver on the other side so you get dropouts from time to time, and,
  • Music on the watch kills battery life. My Fenix 5+ has about 10-14 days of normal battery life but it goes down quickly playing music. I carry any music player on my right side as that's where my earbuds transceiver are located. This works a lot better than putting it on the left side of the body. It's even better if I put it on my right chest but my running vest is the only thing I have which can place it there.
One solution would be to wear a music player on my right wrist. But I don't really need two watches to do that. Something like the Nano 6 with Bluetooth would get the job done nicely.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My main iPod that I use daily is my trusty old 6th gen nano. I've had it since I was in college, and despite pushing a decade old (and having survived a trip or two through the wash), the little guy keeps on chugging along. I use it every morning for music while I walk. I'd be happy if the battery lasted around two hours, since I don't walk much more than that at a time, but I can go a solid week without recharging it still :)

image0.jpg

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My main iPod that I use daily is my trusty old 6th gen nano. I've had it since I was in college, and despite pushing a decade old (and having survived a trip or two through the wash), the little guy keeps on chugging along. I use it every morning for music while I walk. I'd be happy if the battery lasted around two hours, since I don't walk much more than that at a time, but I can go a solid week without recharging it still :)

image0.jpg

That was a very cool design. If they had added Bluetooth, it would have been killer. I know that there were third-party adapters but they added to the size.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
My main iPod that I use daily is my trusty old 6th gen nano.

We have one of these and OMG do I wish it had bluetooth.
If I could use it with AirPods I'd be in total running/biking heaven.

I know they won't, but I really wish they would release a new shuffle with bluetooth that perhaps syncs up Apple Music playlists (or however they'd need to tie it in to justify it).

The watch is absolute and total overkill to accomplish this task (and I think it sucks at it actually)

Reactions: MultiFinder17
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.