Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you read the English version how is the translation? I might have asked this already. 🤔 I’ve seen hit and miss with translated works. The Witcher books in this regard are outstanding.
Good, the novel has won multiple awards. The Chinese TV series follows the books closely and can take some patience to get through being 30 episodes. Overall is a far better watch than the Netflix popcorn edition which admittedly is better than average thx to the bar being set so very low these days...

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Watched "Star Wars" (1977) again last night, for about the 4th time since it came out.

I was truly astonished at the bad acting. Yes, I think it was George Lucas' first (I think?) directing experience, but the junior actors (Hamill, Fisher, Ford) were just so bad. I feel sorry for Alex Guinness having to put up with all these turkeys.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If 3 Body piques your interest in foreign language film; Infernal Affairs is well worth your time. A trilogy of crime drama's that has yet to be surpassed.
1713395052958.png

You have to watch to see, only then will you understand why Infernal Affairs so very gripping...

They never learn, diluting/corrupting IP's for a quick return. Edge of Darkness is a deep & dark look into corruption and privatisation of the nuclear industry and much more in the UK through the lens of the 1980's. The Hollywood version a mere shell, carried by those who should have known better but folded for the coin.

Problem being is when you produce a copy it generally lacks depth, detail & resolution as it's just a cheap copy...

Q-6

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Watched "Star Wars" (1977) again last night, for about the 4th time since it came out.

I was truly astonished at the bad acting. Yes, I think it was George Lucas' first (I think?) directing experience, but the junior actors (Hamill, Fisher, Ford) were just so bad. I feel sorry for Alex Guinness having to put up with all these turkeys.
I fairly certain George Lucas’ directorial premier was THX 1138 in 1971 which was based a short film he did in college. It my opinion THX 1138 was dreadful. But he established himself with American Graffiti in 1973, which was a good movie .

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Only 4? Sacrilege!

Actually, Lucas directed a few films before SW.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
See my previous post. Not delving into current politics is not a problem as long as I get something else. This movie is simply afraid of itself, and it is using a very cool and arguably divisive premise to get some attention. It’s not a bad movie… it’s just boring as heck.

Well, I do plan to be a presidential candidate in 4 years… so get ready!
Ugh. I had such high expectations for this. Based on your reviews it is a hard pass.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Lucas directed (and wrote) THX1138, released in 1971. IMO it is a better film than Star Wars, but both were good.

EDIT: Lucas' first commercial film seems to have something to do Lucasfilm's naming of their sound system THX...

Last edited:

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Last night I watched a Korean film, Decision to Leave (2022), directed by Park Chan-wook.

sjKCQ0kA2oliN2lDkmu1etLBxpw.jpg

I found about it from an article I read about this director and decided to give it a watch. It tells the story of a cop investigating the death of a rock climber. He suspects the man’s wife, and in the course of the investigation becomes obsessed with this woman. The police eventually decide the husband must’ve committed suicide, but it’s not so clear, and as the romance between the cop and the—now former—suspect blossoms, the question of her guilt arises again. I won’t give anything more away, but I liked it a lot. A very distinct direction style, definitely a bit violent at times, but compelling and haunting (the ending broke me).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I fairly certain George Lucas’ directorial premier was THX 1138 in 1971 which was based a short film he did in college. It my opinion THX 1138 was dreadful. But he established himself with American Graffiti in 1973, which was a good movie .
American Graffiti and Starwars Episodes 4-6 are among my favorite movies. I remember seeing advertisements on TV for Episode 4 and those seemed seemed kind of campy, but I ended up seeing this in the theater 3 times on initial release. How can one resist: “Into the garbage shoot, fly boy!” 😄

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
THX = Tomlinson Holman eXperiment...

In the home theater audio side THX was very strong, 2004 launched a “THX Certified Home Theater program” for custom home theater installations and new residential developments.

At first it was the pinnacle , lots of speakers and AVR’s got certified.
Then it jumped the shark , over used, etc. Now THX is extinct in home theater audio.

Last edited:

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
In the home theater audio side THX was very strong, 2004 launched a “THX Certified Home Theater program” for custom home theater installations and new residential developments.

At first it was the pinnacle , lots of speakers and AVR’s got certified.
Then it jumped the shark , over used, etc. Now THX is extinct in home theater audio.

My THX system...! ;^p

The THX system I wanted...

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Haven't seen any of the Dune movies

Folks talking about latest one that was in theaters are making me think about diving in

Should I?

halledise

macrumors 68000
a truly sublime movie.
astonishing sets and costumes.
it's french - with subs - yet worth wading through for the romance which the french do in their extravagant way.
johnny depp is almost unrecognisable, yet superb - as is maiwenn, who also directed.

Jeanne du Barry
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18.09.30.png

Attachments

• 3a45101a-f455-4636-b5c6-6b081b7a3d4d-650x0.jpeg
    3a45101a-f455-4636-b5c6-6b081b7a3d4d-650x0.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.