Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Me_and_Earl_and_the_Dying_Girl_%28film%29.png

A very sweet and moving film.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Civil War (2024) by Alex Garland.

Fairly boring except the last 20 minutes, which are actually quite cool. Don’t expect a political statement of any kind (there is virtually no politics and no background story) or great character development (virtually none).

Yeah "No Politics" but you can kind of guess no?

Also the young photographer who chose to shoot art film in the middle of a war zone had my cracking up especially when she's shooting like crazy at the end and never has to rewind the film, put it away, get a new canister, thread the film, and wind it up, all while being shot at.

Reactions: Don Quixote

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Last summer was in local bookstore and undecided on what to buy, guy there suggested “3 Body Problem”, so I bought the first book .. and was hooked.
Last night started the mini-series on Netflix, 1st episode
922fb8147837f853e88a19b27ae3ca06.jpg
I like the series as well.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Last summer was in local bookstore and undecided on what to buy, guy there suggested “3 Body Problem”, so I bought the first book .. and was hooked.
Last night started the mini-series on Netflix, 1st episode
922fb8147837f853e88a19b27ae3ca06.jpg

I like the series as well.
If you like the books the original TV series is the far better watch as it remains faithful to the source. The Netflix version is more of a diluted TV drama with unbelievable characters.
1713365370776.png

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you like the books the original TV series is the far better watch as it remains faithful to the source. The Netflix version is more of a diluted TV drama with unbelievable characters.
View attachment 2369158

Q-6
If you read the English version how is the translation? I might have asked this already. 🤔 I’ve seen hit and miss with translated works. The Witcher books in this regard are outstanding.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
So the reason for the civil war is not mentioned? 🤔
No. We only know that Texas and California allied together and created a coalition of states against the current government. However, we also know that the current president is on his third term, going for the fourth. Thereby it seems that neither side is actually on the “constitutional” side and it’s not clear which side is the villain. The same goes for the main characters, we barely have any background about them and we don’t have any political conversation of any kind. It’s pretty odd if you ask me.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
No. We only know that Texas and California allied together and created a coalition of states against the current government. However, we also know that the current president is on his third term, going for the fourth. Thereby it seems that neither side is actually on the “constitutional” side and it’s not clear which side is the villain. The same goes for the main characters, we barely have any background about them and we don’t have any political conversation of any kind. It’s pretty odd if you ask me.
Sounds like one I can skip...

Because I may be living it after November... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Chuckeee and Huntn

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

From what I understand, its about the reporters, and the civil war is just the background.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are so many questions there, it would even be hard to determine who is being constitutional. To write a story in such a way in an attempt to avoid the absolute choices made and politics that would be involved in my estimation is calculated to get more people to watch it disconnected from today’s National politics. Hell, you’ve got to know why 2 such divergent states would band together unless DC is controlled by a third power that transcends the typical left-right coalitions we are used to. 🤔

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
From what I understand, its about the reporters, and the civil war is just the background.
And I would’ve accepted this explanation if the movie gave us good character development. Instead, we don’t. (Very minor spoilers ahead). What we get is the overused grumpy old experienced main character, and the young wannabe that never listens to anyone because she has to be rebellious for some reason (notice that all side-quest problems that lead to tragedy arise because she makes the most idiotic choices over and over), and we get two side characters of dubious plot support utility. None of them grows or becomes deep in any way whatsoever during the movie, with the exception of the goofiest and most predictable choice towards the end from one of the characters.

The action sequence at the end is very good and impressive. The rest? Meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
There are so many questions there, it would even be hard to determine who is being constitutional. To write a story in such a way in an attempt to avoid the absolute choices made and politics that would be involved in my estimation is calculated to get more people to watch it disconnected from today’s National politics.

See my previous post. Not delving into current politics is not a problem as long as I get something else. This movie is simply afraid of itself, and it is using a very cool and arguably divisive premise to get some attention. It’s not a bad movie… it’s just boring as heck.

Hell, you’ve got to know why 2 such divergent states would band together unless DC is controlled by a third power that transcends the typical left-right coalitions we are used to. 🤔
Well, I do plan to be a presidential candidate in 4 years… so get ready!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Huntn and ucfgrad93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.