Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mofei1

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Received my iMac 27" 2019 yesterday and also purchased some Kingston HyperX Impact ram (4x 8gb).

The iMac refused to boot with all four modules installed. Would only work with two modules along with apple original modules. The memory speed also down clocked to 2400mhz. Eventually refunded them and got the OWC modules (2x 16gb) which are working perfectly now.

wmagnum1

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
How to we feel about this RAM?

Timetec Hynix Original 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL19 1Rx8 Single Rank
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DV3RQX8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23AD5LOJUVSEP&psc=1

16GB addition to factory 8GB WORKS. CONFIRMED. Nearly identical to Apple RAM installed. $90.99US for 16GB kit, $165.99US for 32GB kit.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 4.33.48 PM.png

donkuok

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2019
Can anyone verify that different CAS Latency of RAM could downgrade the speed from 2666 to 2400? I have the ballistic 2666 CL17 installed to upgrade the stock 8GB to 40GB.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Can anyone verify that different CAS Latency of RAM could downgrade the speed from 2666 to 2400? I have the ballistic 2666 CL17 installed to upgrade the stock 8GB to 40GB.

According to an earlier post to this thread, the new PC4-21300 Ballistix may require an XMP profile to run at 2666 MHz that the iMac does not support which would be unfortunate. Ballistix is good quality RAM.

I've been using 32GB of PC4-19200 Ballistix in my 2017 iMac for a few years now.

I wouldn't recommend it, however, for the 2019 iMac though if it can't be run at its full 2666 MHz potential.

Users are better off going with the regular Crucial RAM some in here have already installed successfully.

donkuok

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2019
According to an earlier post to this thread, the new PC4-21300 Ballistix may require an XMP profile to run at 2666 MHz that the iMac does not support which would be unfortunate. Ballistix is good quality RAM.

I've been using 32GB of PC4-19200 Ballistix in my 2017 iMac for a few years now.

I wouldn't recommend it, however, for the 2019 iMac though if it can't be run at its full 2666 MHz potential.

Users are better off going with the regular Crucial RAM some in here have already installed successfully.
Thanks for the info. It's working fine on my iMac just that don't feel satisfaction with 2400 instead of 2666.

Reactions: SaSaSushi

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Is there a buy/sell section here? I couldn't find one. I'm interested in buying anybody's unused 2x4GB 2019 iMac ram. I think 16GB should be plenty for my needs.

Yoca

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
Hi guys! The crucial 32gb dual kit here in my country is not available to most sellers. Id like to ask if it will still work if ill buy 2 individual 16gb sticks instead of the dual kit?

Thank you!

Sorry its my first time upgrading on my own :)

Last edited:

mofei1

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Hi guys! The crucial 32gb dual kit here in my country is not available to most sellers. Id like to ask if it will still work if ill buy 2 individual 16gb sticks instead of the dual kit?

Thank you!

Sorry its my first time upgrading on my own :)

Yes will work no problem. Make sure both sticks are the same

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
For those prepared to go a bit overboard... plus you can get a rebate on your OEM RAM... https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/2666DDR4S64S/?APC=READERSPC
It's possible that the RAM "macsales.com" sell is of better quality than the Crucial RAM being sold at Amazon (I don't really know). But in my view "macsales" is losing some cash and customers to Amazon, since one can buy 32GB of RAM for the 2019 iMac for $189.00 with free shipping.

I will probably (maybe) buy it from "macsales" at $224.00, but I will wait awhile to see if anybody is having problems with the Crucial RAM, because this is a better deal.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
It's possible that the RAM "macsales.com" sell is of better quality than the Crucial RAM being sold at Amazon (I don't really know). But in my view "macsales" is losing some cash and customers to Amazon, since one can buy 32GB of RAM for the 2019 iMac for $189.00 with free shipping.

I will probably (maybe) buy it from "macsales" at $224.00, but I will wait awhile to see if anybody is having problems with the Crucial RAM, because this is a better deal.
If it meets Apple’s specs, it will perform the same. Apple’s requirements are tight.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
It's possible that the RAM "macsales.com" sell is of better quality than the Crucial RAM being sold at Amazon (I don't really know).

In my very unscientific opinion from reading RAM-related posts to these forums over the past 12 years it seems to me I've seen fewer complaints of problems with Crucial RAM than OWC.

I've personally used Crucial in all of the iMacs I've owned over that time period and had no issues whatsoever. I haven't had any personal experience with OWC.

kaintxu

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2018
Edinburgh
Some people here is posting Single Rank memory, does it have to be dual rank?

What does the rank mean at all this

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
In my very unscientific opinion from reading RAM-related posts to these forums over the past 12 years it seems to me I've seen fewer complaints of problems with Crucial RAM than OWC.

I've personally used Crucial in all of the iMacs I've owned over that time period and had no issues whatsoever. I haven't had any personal experience with OWC.
I have Crucial RAM on my 2011 iMac, and on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Never had any problems with it.

Reactions: SaSaSushi

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I have always had issues with Crucial and iMac. I use OWC and never worry about compatibility.
[doublepost=1555771444][/doublepost]

I'd conclude just the opposite. Not it has been a few years but when I got my iMac 2014 there were nothing but complaints about crucial. Its why I used OWC. As someone pointed out, Apple specs are tight. Also, but sure you iMac will sleep and wake properly after your ram has been installed.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Where did you get it. Looking for the 2x8GB and can't seem to find it anywhere. I Can only find the 2x16GB or the 2x8GB but single ranked
I don't think that being single or dual rank matters. What matters is the RAM specs matching the Apple's RAM specifications. Read the other thread about which RAM to use.

That said, I will let somebody else explain the "rank" thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaintxu

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I'd conclude just the opposite. Not it has been a few years but when I got my iMac 2014 there were nothing but complaints about crucial. Its why I used OWC. As someone pointed out, Apple specs are tight. Also, but sure you iMac will sleep and wake properly after your ram has been installed.

I'm not sure where you were seeing those complaints about Crucial but it wasn't in these forums.

Apple ships a lot of iMacs with Micron, including my own. As I've mentioned numerous times Crucial is the consumer division of Micron. It is an excellent choice for iMac upgrades, especially considering its lower price.

If OWC works for you and you're happy spending more for it then that's your prerogative.
[doublepost=1555889271][/doublepost]
I don't think that being single or dual rank matters. What matters is the RAM specs matching the Apple's RAM specifications. Read the other thread about which RAM to use.

That said, I will let somebody else explain the "rank" thing.

Single rank vs dual rank refers to the number of chips on the DIMM modules and should play no part in terms of compatibility.

The two stock Apple Micron 4GB DIMMs that shipped with my iMac are single rank while the 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix I added are dual rank. They've been working happily together for two years now.

Reactions: kaintxu

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I posted on another thread but perhaps someone could help me here. I am so frustrated. Picked up my 27" imac yesterday and had bought this ram to add to it https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071KP8CGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when the ram is added the computer will not turn on, without the ram it works. Any suggestions?

After you turn the iMac on with the new RAM installed, are you waiting at least 90 seconds? When you install new RAM the computer needs to initialize the new memory configuration.

During that time you will see nothing but a black screen.

Also be sure the modules are firmly seated in the slots. It requires a fair bit of pressure and you should feel a slight click when seated properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.