Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaintxu

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2018
Edinburgh

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
My experience is that the new iMacs sort out the RAM change in under 10 seconds. But doesn't hurt to wait a bit longer if nothing seems to happen.

Yeah, over a minute is unlikely but it did take around 50-60 seconds for the very first boot with new RAM on my 2017 iMac. At the time I was unaware of the need to wait and I had shut down a few times thinking the RAM wasn't working before I finally let it complete the initialization.

Apple's RAM installation page denotes initialization times of 30 seconds or more:

Your iMac performs a memory initialization procedure when you first turn it on after upgrading memory or rearranging DIMMs. This process can take 30 seconds or more, and the display of your iMac remains dark until it's finished. Make sure to let the memory initialization complete.

Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2016
I posted on another thread but perhaps someone could help me here. I am so frustrated. Picked up my 27" imac yesterday and had bought this ram to add to it https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071KP8CGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when the ram is added the computer will not turn on, without the ram it works. Any suggestions?
The very same thing happened to me, with the 2x16GB version of the same Crucial RAM you bought.

I had installed the new RAM before starting up the iMac for the first time; I am quite certain that I seated it firmly. I waited a few minutes for the iMac to complete its initialization (I could hear the internal fan quietly idling, so I knew the power was on) before concluding that it was not going to start up.

I powered down the iMac, turned it back on, and waited a good five minutes. Again it would not start up.

I removed the new Crucial RAM, and the iMac started up right away.

Then I reinstalled the new Crucial RAM, and this time the iMac started up immediately, recognizing all 40 GB of RAM (2x4 GB Hynix RAM from Apple plus 2x16 GB Crucial RAM), and it has been working ever since.

Even if my experience and kristincb’s were flukes, given that Crucial clearly do not want to sell to us (see the picture below), I am frankly sorry that I gave them my money. I should have spent the extra US $30 to buy from a company like OWC who want our business and will guarantee support for their RAM in our 2019 iMacs.

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 3.03.07 PM.png

Reactions: D4walker

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
There is a possibility of getting a bad module with any make of RAM. It happens.

I'd like to hear back from Kristincb to see how things worked out for her.

Even if my experience and kristincb’s were flukes, given that Crucial clearly do not want to sell to us (see the picture below), I am frankly sorry that I gave them my money. I should have spent the extra US $30 to buy from a company like OWC who want our business and will guarantee support for their RAM in our 2019 iMacs.

Let me get this straight, you had a bad Crucial module and returned it for a replacement which has been working perfectly for you and you're complaining about it? :rolleyes:

Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2016
Let me get this straight, you had a bad Crucial module and returned it for a replacement which has been working perfectly for you and you're complaining about it? :rolleyes:
No. I did not return it for a replacement; the original module worked after I removed it, rebooted, and then reinstalled it. I think I made that quite clear.

Nor am I complaining that the RAM now works.

I am complaining that Crucial cannot be bothered to officially support the 2019 iMacs, and that they apparently do not want our business. It has been five weeks since the new iMacs were released, and still Crucial’s web site lists lists no compatible RAM upgrades, and in fact explicitly states that the CT2K16G4SFD8266 RAM will not work with the 2019 iMac19,1 (see the screen shot I posted above).

Either Crucial’s web configurator is right, and there is some subtle incompatibility with our 2019 iMacs, in which case we should believe them when they say this RAM will not work, or their web configurator is wrong, which suggests either incompetence or disinterest in selling to Mac users, or both. Why should we reward them with our custom? To save $30?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
While Crucial has not officially validated the RAM for the 2019 iMac yet, even on that Amazon product page there are Micron reps that posted replies to the Q&A section stating that it matches Apple's specs.

On Apple's RAM upgrade info page they list specs for upgrades, not brands. There are people in this very thread (and others) who have returned OWC RAM for issues as well.

I am aware of the warnings on Crucial's website. In fact, there is still the same big red banner stating "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH IMAC" on their product page for the Ballistix RAM I've been using successfully for the past two years.

My advice would be to worry about proper specifications and good brands (like Crucial and OWC) and not to worry about meaningless disclaimers.

If the RAM is defective for some reason, Crucial is going to replace it. Their RAM comes with a lifetime warranty.

kristincb

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I was not able to get the ram to startup so I have returned and am awaiting an exchange. I even tried switching out the slots of the current ram to see if that would make a difference and nothing.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
So what RAM package is everyone ordering? Assuming 32gb? What brands/model #’s do you recommend? Just ordered the 27” with 8gb of factory ram.
Look up the CPU that is in your Computer and what type of RAM works with it and how much.
Apple doesn't always list all of the specs but if you choose something that works with your CPU and chipset you'll be fine.
Apple's motherboards don't necessarily have the say so in what Intel's CPU can handle.

Example, if you look up an Intel 9900K, Intel itself says, 128GB of RAM and 2666MHz speed.
So if you put in 128GB of RAM at 2666MHz, it will work at those speeds. If you put anything faster, it is most likely going to sit at 2666MHz max.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Yes, at first there were Micron reps who did state that the CT2K16G4SFD8266 RAM appeared to be compatible. Then Micron Customer Service started changing their tune.

Six reports of successful installation of that Crucial RAM in the 2019 iMac on Amazon (one user apparently got shipped a DOA set and returned it for a fully working replacement) and not one report that I can find of any issues aside from Micron reps not being able to officially state it's "validated".

I don't understand the complaint. The validation thing seems very much ado about nothing to me.
[doublepost=1556086028][/doublepost]
I was not able to get the ram to startup so I have returned and am awaiting an exchange. I even tried switching out the slots of the current ram to see if that would make a difference and nothing.

I suspect that this will resolve your issues. As mentioned, bad RAM modules happen to all brands, including OWC.

Last edited:

Crawler666

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
@ Colonel Blimp - But does your Mac run smoothly with the now accepted Crucial RAM. Any instabilities? I'm asking, because I just ordered the 2x8GB kit in the hopes of miraculous compatibility.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
No, I did not, as I made explicitly clear in response to your previous misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Oh, so it wasn't even defective to begin with and yet you're in here whining and complaining that Crucial won't officially declare it as "validated"? (as if that would somehow improve your life...)

Thanks for clearing that up.

You might try actually reading posts before you reply to them.

Will do. In exchange you might try finding actual problems to whinge about.

[doublepost=1556143204][/doublepost]
@ Colonel Blimp - But does your Mac run smoothly with the now accepted Crucial RAM. Any instabilities? I'm asking, because I just ordered the 2x8GB kit in the hopes of miraculous compatibility.

After having carefully read his messages I can tell you that YES, it works fine but he wants you to know that he's upset that Crucial won't label his fully working RAM as officially "iMac-compatible" and regrets not having paid $30 more for OWC RAM which apparently does come with that labeling.

Last edited:

swissbob

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
Good evening

I would like to Order a 2019 27“ iMac and Upgrade the ram After i got it.

I found out That there are at least 2 different ram sticks from crucial: RFD and LFD.
Which one works better?

Sorry If my questions are sometimes stupid, but I have never done this before

swissbob

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
Apologize for the double post.

I want to put 4x32GB in this Mac.

Which one should I choose?

Crawler666

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
My iMac an Crucial-RAM arrived both today. Installed the two Crucial-moduls without any problems and they are running at full speed! I guess, all is well, that ends well ...

Reactions: SaSaSushi

nerdynerdynerdy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
I remember reading somewhere that mixing different capacity sticks wasn't ideal - is this the case?

If I was to fit 2x32gb and 2x16gb for a total of 96gb, is that going to cause problems in some way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.