Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
i-SCPFfmJ-X2.png

Received my iMac yesterday, and migrated all my files and apps from the 2011 iMac to the new one. Startup took about a minute or two, and the migration process about 2 hours using CCC on a seagate USB-3 4TB travel-type hard drive.

Today I received the 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial RAM from Amazon, and installed on the new iMac making sure that the sticks were seated properly on the slots, then started the iMac to check the new RAM. It works just fine as you can see in the screen shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaSaSushi

MacPieNL

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019
Yep, that’s the one I got and installed it last night. All good so far on my i9 :)
I ordered the same kit from Amazon.DE. Got delivered to The Netherlands in two days. I installed it and it works perfectly in my 2019 iMac. Happy camper! Thanks guys.

donkuok

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2019
Last edited:

Jono777

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2019
I just installed 64gb of Crucial Ram in the 2019 I just received and it worked fine. I know Crucial Ram is not officially supported but I think you can go ahead and buy it.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I just installed the OWC supported ram in my 2019 iMac.
No problems.

Ordering was easy, delivery took about 7-8 days (overseas DHL express) and the taxes came to about $18US that I had to pay on receipt of product. More expensive than the Crucial Ram on Amazon, but living OS I wanted to make sure what I was getting was going to work.

The only thing is the video showing you how to install their ram has the ram the wrong way round for placement. Make sure you check the cut-out on the bottom of the ram as to which side it needs to be.
Also getting the little door back on the iMac wasn't as easy as I had expected. Perhaps that is just my machine though.

I can't believe the difference between 8gig and 40gig. In the photos app it's insane. scrolling is now buttery smooth and I can't trip it up.

It seems to have helped other things too.

Overall, I'd recommend everybody to upgrade the ram in their computer for a better experience. It isn't so expensive, but I think they cost over the lifetime of the computer will be more than worth it.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
FYI: Somewhere back there I said that System Information lists my memory (on the 27") as not being user upgradeable. Obviously this is wrong!! I am glad to report that 14.4.5 list my memory as being upgradeable.

kubaw

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Hi guys,

I am planning to replace OEM 8GB's with Crucial 4x16GB. Two humble questions:

1. Is there anybody here who experienced any issues with such configuration on their 2019 iMac?

2. It seems that in my country I can only order a single memory stick (like here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT16G4SFD8266-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071KP8CGJ/) and not a 2x16 kit (like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-16GBx2-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071H38422). Should I expect any issues?

The second question has a funny background, because here in my country I have been talking to two independent authorised Apple sellers, who have no problem providing 3rd party RAM upgrades. One of them states that only kits are working, because iMac's firmware complains otherwise. The other one states exactly otherwise: that Apple document states specifically that RAM sticks should not be purchased in kits for some dual-channelling reasons (?). (I was told that while 4 pieces of this one: https://www.x-kom.pl/p/345942-pamiec-ram-sodimm-ddr4-hyperx-16gb-2666mhz-impact-black-cl15-12v.html will work fine, I shouldn't purchase this one: https://www.x-kom.pl/p/345946-pamie...2gb-2x16gb-2666mhz-impact-black-cl15-12v.html - even though it seems this is exactly the same chip).

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
2. It seems that in my country I can only order a single memory stick

It should not matter so long as they are the same spec. My experience: I purchased a pair of 16GB sticks. Due to issues, returns and replacement I have ended up with two 16GB sticks from different manufacturers (though both with same vendor label). Seem to be working well.

Reactions: kubaw

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Once you have decided which RAM brand you want and looked at the price, see which one of the "reputable" sellers ships free and fast enough. B&H is my favorite, but Amazon ships free, too. Of the two, B&H processes and ships the order quite faster than Amazon, at least to my home in Alaska.

martmanium

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
So, I received my iMac 2019 today (with 8 gb RAM) and installed my 32 GB kit (2x16 GB) of Crucial DDR4 – 2666 – SODIMM 1.2 V. Worked fine during the first startup, but after reboot (because of OS update to Mojave 10.14.5) I just get a black screen. If I remove the Crucial memories the iMac will boot. I've tried to put the Crucial in 1slot 1 and 3, as well as 2 and 4 (both with and without original memories in the other slots) without success.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it the OS update that's f**kin' it up? Is it a bad kit of memories?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Is it a bad kit of memories?

Probably. Can you get to Apple Diagnostics (D key at boot)? You will probably need to return the RAM for replacement. I had similar with OWC RAM and the iMac 2019 - had to return for replacement.

The 10.14.5 update did not cause me any problems with my OWC RAM.

martmanium

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
Probably. Can you get to Apple Diagnostics (D key at boot)? You will probably need to return the RAM for replacement. I had similar with OWC RAM and the iMac 2019 - had to return for replacement.

The 10.14.5 update did not cause me any problems with my OWC RAM.

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to get to Apple Diagnostics, and see if that will give me any hints.

UPDATE: With the Crucial RAM installed there's no way for me to get to Apple Diagnostics. No connection to the keyboard, no signs of boot at all, although I can hear the fans if I put my ear close to the computer. And with only Apples RAM installed the diagnostics says everything is OK.

UPDATE 2: Tried to install one Crucial RAM at a time, and indeed, one of them works, the other one doesn't. So back it goes. Very confusing, as they both worked during the first boot.

Last edited:

Woodlandjustin

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
Hi guys! My iMac is 2017, I'm unclear of whether the RAM requirements are different to 2019. Specifically, mine if EMC: 3070, 27 inch i7 4.2.

What are the best recommendations for 32GB to add to that?
One of the things I don't understand is 2400 vs 2666 types. I'd like whatever is best to keep me going for several years, with reasonable price. Also any tips/links for UK purchase would be much appreciated!

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I posted on another thread but perhaps someone could help me here. I am so frustrated. Picked up my 27" imac yesterday and had bought this ram to add to it https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071KP8CGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when the ram is added the computer will not turn on, without the ram it works. Any suggestions?

Recently went through the exact same problem with my 2017 iMac. Copied the specs directly from the Apple tech page and ended op with OWC sticks. Put them in, computer worked for a while but then it completely failed to start-up.
Figuring it was the ram, I bought another 32g from a different manufacturer. They worked for less than a week before same problem cropped up.
No matter in what combination I installed the new sticks, even with the Apple sticks, the computer still would not start up.
I turned to the MacRumors forum and put the issue out there.
One person had a couple of suggestions and right now I’m humming along nicely with the 4 sticks of 16g each that I bought for a total of 64g. Fingers crossed it keeps going. I figure I’ll find out after it’s beeen running all day, then I shut down and then start up again.
I know this doesn’t make sense, but sometimes I think putting the little panel that covers the ram back in place is causing the problem. I’d leave it off if I knew what else to use to cover the opening.

The short thread and a possible solution as provided to me can be found here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-imac-ram-issues.2182398/#post-27388812

Reactions: Woodlandjustin

JuanitoIvanisios

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
I have ordered Corsair CMSX64GX4M4A2666C18 RAM for my iMac 2019 with i9 processor, and have received and installed it today. Worked right away and is recognized with 64GB at 2667MHz in About this Mac. This was a bit cheaper over here in Germany than the Crucial option and at C18 latency supposedly also a tad bit faster. Probably won't notice much difference between C18 and C19, but less expensive and a bit faster is fine by me. Really happy so far!

Last edited:

Woodlandjustin

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
I have ordered Corsair CMSX64GXM4A2666C18 RAM for my iMac 2019 with i9 processor, and have received and installed it today. Worked right away and is recognized with 64GB at 2667MHz in About this Mac. This was a bit cheaper over here in Germany than the Crucial option and at C18 latency supposedly also a tad bit faster. Probably won't notice much difference between C18 and C19, but less expensive and a bit faster is fine by me. Really happy so far!

I did a google search for 'CMSX64GXM4A2666C18 RAM' and it gave no results. Do you have a link?
And, is this good for the 2017 iMac 27-inch? I'm still not understanding about 2400 vs 2666 types.

JuanitoIvanisios

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
Sorry, I had a typo in that long model description. The correct is CMSX64GX4M4A2666C18

This is the link to Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BGZET9A/

I use Mactracker App to determine the spec of the Mac I want to upgrade and there they tell you about the actual RAM specs you will need to use. In fact I did upgrade my parents iMac 5K 2017 recently from 8GB to 32GB. There I used also Corsair RAM, but with 2400MHz to match the spec that was originally installed. The model is CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16 (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01G26166W/). I would stick to the specs that are installed. If you pick 2666 it might not work at all, and if it works, it will run at the slower 2400.

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany
Anyone used Kingston HyperX memory

Up until this iMac, I had always used Kingston HyperX in many different iMacs over the years. Only reason I went with Crucial this time was due to availability (was going to be 1-3 months). I would definitely recommend it as I personally never had any issues with Kingston over the years. So far the Crucial I bought is doing just as well 2 months in.

Reactions: Apple Mac Daz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.