Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I've mentioned it before, but I've been enjoying The Weekly on FX/Hulu.

This week's is rather relevant as it focuses on Rudy. It presents a rather interesting take on possible motivations behind the current goings on involving himself and the Bidens.

Last week's episode on Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder & asbestos was heartbreaking.

Reactions: Huntn

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
We've been watching the super offerings on The CW (Flash, Supergirl and Black Lightning) as they start off the new season and make the run up to Crisis On Infinite Earths in December. Have also been watching The Mayans MC. If youhaven't watched this (on FX) then you are missing out! What a great show, (it's a spinoff of Sons of Anarchy).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Started season 1 of The Boys on Amazon... Wow, this is gory in a kinda crazy excellent sort of way. It's off to an interesting start. I'm surprised to see a few familiar faces, notably Simon Pegg and Anthony Starr (from Cinemax's Banshee).

Also, it's already been renewed for a second season.

250px-TheBoysPoster.png

Synopsis: With no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty, a group of vigilantes known informally as "The Boys" set out to take down corrupt superheroes who abuse their superpowers and embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame.
I thought that’s what the good super heroes did. :) Are there good super heroes in this?

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic, I mean, in the best / worst possible way.
Yeah, very well done, and is surely an eye opener!

I would say that around that time in American History, here is what I would recommend folks watch, in the order indicated (4 of them are movies, but definitely connected with all the Viet Nam events):

1. JFK
2. The Post
3. All The President's Men
4. Frost/Nixon
5. The Viet Nam War

The "least factual" one on that list is JFK, if one subscribes to that.

And for those first 4, there were so many wonderful actors in them.

Reactions: decafjava

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That remains to be seen. :p
[automerge]1572406799[/automerge]
Watching HBO's new series Watchmen. I'm intrigued so far, but also cautiously optimistic. It could go either way.
I’ll check out The Boys. Watchmen will have to be super to get me to subscribe to HBO, however I will be doing that for West World, when it returns.
[automerge]1572411479[/automerge]
I've mentioned it before, but I've been enjoying The Weekly on FX/Hulu.

This week's is rather relevant as it focuses on Rudy. It presents a rather interesting take on possible motivations behind the current goings on involving himself and the Bidens.

Last week's episode on Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder & asbestos was heartbreaking.
I heard a report about this on NPR. I wonder if it’s been made in China? :(

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Been watching the new season of the CW's Arrowverse on streaming (Supergirl, Batwoman, Black Lightning and The Flash). Really good this season and I'm looking forward to the Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover! I've also been watching the Ken Burns "Country Music" off and on (I DVR'ed it when it aired) and it is superb! As someone who grew up listening to country, and still does, it's a fascinating look into the artists and music (many of the greats came from my hometown!). Long episodes, but well worth the watching!

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Anyone following Evil? The fourth episode, “Rose 390”, wasn’t just creepy, it was also one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen. The ending boxes the characters into an impossible corner where someone has to do something really drastic, and it’s a real gut punch.

I watched the first Watchman episode. I think I’ll leave it there.
Not for me.
Not well written.

The beginning with the aggressive-sounding black cop with his face hidden and the white driver had me thinking, for a while, that this was an alternate reality “Hands up don’t shoot” situation where black cops callously gun down whites for specious reasons... in other words, the reverse of what we’re seeing in the US. Turns out that wasn’t the case.

Second episode was better, though.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Anyone following Evil? The fourth episode, “Rose 390”, wasn’t just creepy, it was also one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen. The ending boxes the characters into an impossible corner where someone has to do something really drastic, and it’s a real gut punch.

Not well written.

The beginning with the aggressive-sounding black cop with his face hidden and the white driver had me thinking, for a while, that this was an alternate reality “Hands up don’t shoot” situation where black cops callously gun down whites for specious reasons... in other words, the reverse of what we’re seeing in the US. Turns out that wasn’t the case.

Second episode was better, though.
I've been watching Evil intermittently and enjoying the heck out of it. Good acting and really good writing, and the fact that it stars Michael Emerson (Harold Finch from "Person of Interest) just makes it for me!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Beverly Hillbillies (on Pluto TV, free) an outstanding 1960s social farce about a family of country folks who have oil discovered on their land, become wealthy and do what we’d all do, move to Beverly Hills. ?

Now how much this would appeal to young people these days, I have no clue. :)

ECEE94C8-7009-485F-BE51-472204F0E216.jpeg

Reactions: ritmomundo

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I binged all 5 episodes last night. A fascinating story it was. I'd not heard of this trial(s) as I was a kid at the time of the first one.

The Devil Next Door (2019) (Netflix Original)

A Cleveland grandfather is brought to trial in Israel, accused of being the infamous Nazi death camp guard known as Ivan the Terrible.

Screenshot_2019-11-11 The Devil Next Door (2019).png

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I binged all 5 episodes last night. A fascinating story it was. I'd not heard of this trial(s) as I was a kid at the time of the first one.

The Devil Next Door (2019) (Netflix Original)

View attachment 876371
Just finished watching it myself. I remember the trial - I took a vague interest at the time but didn't follow it as such as it dragged on for years. I wasn't going to watch it, what more can be said about such a nasty subject matter I thought, but as you say it was fascinating. What struck and surprised me was the lack of introspection by all the legal professionals when being interviewed about their part in the trial well after the fact.
[automerge]1573472558[/automerge]
Just started World in Fire. So far very good.

I was actually really disappointed with it. Surprised there's a new one coming.

I do think the BBC 1 Dark Materials series (on before World on Fire) is excellent. There's gripes about the lack of deamons, which I understand, but they're probably horribly expensive to animate so they've been rationed and hidden where possible...

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Great British Bake Off. Oh goodness, these people are talented and the food always looks amazing (even the mess-ups). Really engaging and lovely, a good bet for enjoyment if you like Top Chef.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.