Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
DreamControl

I wonder: while dreaming ... Can you control your dream ?

I manage quite often to stop a scary or stupid dream. Of course I wake up for few seconds.

How about you ?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA

I manage quite often to stop a scary or stupid dream. Of course I wake up for few seconds.

How about you ?

Supposedly, you can exercise a certain degree of control over your dreams. It's called lucid dreaming, I think, but I don't know how to do it.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I fall asleep, then wake up, but... sometimes feel like I've been asleep for a while. Sometimes, I blink, and I'm awake!?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK

How about you ?

Yup, I lucid dream and for a long while before I learned to do that I could stop unpleasant dreams.

I kinda just convinced myself that stamping my right foot would end an unpleasant dream, and after a while of fully believing it to be the case I tried it out and it worked.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Yup, I lucid dream and for a long while before I learned to do that I could stop unpleasant dreams.

I kinda just convinced myself that stamping my right foot would end an unpleasant dream, and after a while of fully believing it to be the case I tried it out and it worked.

I just close my eyes in the dream, :eek: I dunno why it worked. Though I need to close my eyes longer and longer to "wake up." I've actually been afraid (yes) that I may not wakeup in time :(

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I just close my eyes in the dream, :eek: I dunno why it worked. Though I need to close my eyes longer and longer to "wake up." I've actually been afraid (yes) that I may not wakeup in time :(

I used to have dreams whereby I'd "wake up" from one dream seemingly in my bed, only to get up, and then clearly realise it was a dream, and try to "wake up" again and again and again countless times.

That was the main reason I wanted a trigger that I could rely upon and it's pretty much worked every time other than a couple and in those instances I did it again straight away and woke up.

Thana6tos

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
NY, PA, & Cape Cod
Pretty Good.

:) I get about 8 hrs of sleep each night, sometimes longer on the weekends. I look and feel better at 8, but the days (which are few) when I only get 5-6 hrs, I look and feel like .... well, horrible, often get into a bad mood and get nasty/bitchy at people. So I try to avoid those days or warn people to take cover :D

Back in my college days, I would get only 6 hrs and function pretty well, even look half decent. On weekends though, after hitting the gym, I would get at least 12 hrs of sleep. Love to sleep. Maybe it's my room, mattress, sheets,.... and there are all VERY comfortable.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
ON school days I usually hit bed around 9:45-10:00 and get up at around 5AM. Weekends/non school days when I have nothing planned in the morning, is usually around 12-1AM and I get up around 10-11AM

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Can function great on 4-8 hours sleep. I find that short sleeps have troublesome starts, but after that it's happy sailing. And that's without caffeine.

Have you guys ever fired a gun in your sleep? Whenever I do, the bullets come out real slow and they don't hurt anyone. :confused:

I've never fired a gun in a dream, but I can't run fast. If I ever want to move fast I have to use my arms and my legs like some kind of god damn dirty ape. More often than not it involves grabbing walls+floors and throwing myself forward. It's quite bizarre!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Have you guys ever fired a gun in your sleep? Whenever I do, the bullets come out real slow and they don't hurt anyone. :confused:

Finally I found the guy shooting at me ... :mad: But agree: the bullets are slow. :eek:

Mostly I'm getting chased or death-punished; that's exactly the time when I stop my dreams. Don't want to be killed ...

Hello Dr. Freud: any comments ?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I hate those dreams where you can't run, yell or hit hard enough. I find I can always fly away in dreams. Not like superman flying but a sort of swimming through midair kind of thing. I've dreamt that since I can remember and tried it out as a kid with much disappointment.

I've heard most people always wake up as they are about to die in dreams. I've had several dreams where I did die and watched the world around me appearing in the strangest way. I can't even quite explain it.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I've never fired a gun in a dream, but I can't run fast. If I ever want to move fast I have to use my arms and my legs like some kind of god damn dirty ape. More often than not it involves grabbing walls+floors and throwing myself forward. It's quite bizarre!

Same exact thing here. It makes for quite scary nightmares when guys with guns or knives are running after you...

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I used to have dreams whereby I'd "wake up" from one dream seemingly in my bed, only to get up, and then clearly realise it was a dream, and try to "wake up" again and again and again countless times.

I've had those before and wow are they scary! It feels like I'll never wake.

The worst are alarm clock dreams, where when the alarm goes off, it becomes part of your dream. This always happens with those clocks that start soft and get progressively louder. The last one I had was at my grandmothers house as a kid. I dreamed that I was trying to turn off the clock, and even after pulling the battery, disassembling it, and crushing it to bits with a hammer, I couldn't stop it. Scared the crap out of me. Of course, after I woke, I realized the Wile E Coyote-ness of the whole thing.

Now, I just set my iPod to play zeros theme from megaman X really loud. Scares me awake every time.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I usually get 7-8 hours. Less than that and I'm tired and less patient. The longest I ever went without sleeping was like 60 hours or so in college, when I was studying for a difficult exam. Probably one of the worse three day stretches in my life. By the end, I was seeing things. After that exam, I ate a huge stack of pancakes and slept for 20 hours. Hehe.

sleep paralysis snip

This has happened to me a couple of times, and it's terrifying. Mine always seem to involve some horrible demon or ghost hovering over me and I can't move, yell, or get away. I haven't had one in a long time, I really hope I never have another.

I hate those dreams where you can't run, yell or hit hard enough. I find I can always fly away in dreams. Not like superman flying but a sort of swimming through midair kind of thing. I've dreamt that since I can remember and tried it out as a kid with much disappointment.

That's funny you say that - I can almost always fly in my dreams too. But it's not hardcore flying like you said, it's like easy floating from point to point. In my dreams, I always show off with it because no one else can do it but me.

I actually remember my dreams very often and I'm also a very suggestive dreamer. For example, last night I fell asleep watching Tomb Raider, and Angelina Jolie guest starred in my dream. That sort of thing happens to me all the time. Can be fun. :cool:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Another flying dreamer here, haha. It's often quite variable, too. For a while, I would have to start "climbing an invisible ladder" so to speak in order to get flying. That still makes me laugh.

My sleep is all over the place. Sometimes 5 hours, sometimes 12. I can sleep pretty much anywhere at any time, unless I'm extremely upset. Then I can't sleep at all.

I once slept under the 5-inch cannon while it was firing during general quarters, leaning up against a bulkhead on my first ship in the Navy.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I sleep between 4-5 hours a night and I can manage that much pretty well. I try to ride my bike between 15 and 20 miles each morning after I drop my kids off at school - that seems to wake me up and keep me energized for most of the day. I do admit to having an energy drink or two at night - I work until between 1 and 2am every night - so it defintely helps.

I don't have much flying in my dreams - I do have dreams where I'm constantly trying to get somewhere - work, school, and an airport are the most prevalent - and I never get there. There's always something that stops me, or delays me. I wake up from those dreams feeling super frustrated until I realize that I'm not late and I don't have anywhere to be. I absolutely hate being late to things - so those dreams may not be too hard to analyze.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Need at least 8 hours other wise i feel awful in the morning. However as of late my kitteh cat likes to jump on bed at 5 am in the morning and declare he is hungry.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
That's funny you say that - I can almost always fly in my dreams too. But it's not hardcore flying like you said, it's like easy floating from point to point. In my dreams, I always show off with it because no one else can do it but me.

Haha, exactly! Whenever I do it everyone is shocked and awed and usually try to catch me, forcing me to need to go higher to get away from them. I've had several where I got too cocky and managed to get tangled in power or telephone lines.
Whenever I've been doing a lot of floating/flying I wake up tired (heh) and very disappointed with physics.

I remember my dreams probably 50% of the time. My husband has only remembered a dream once or twice in the 6-ish years I've known him.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread Revival

I heard an interview today on NPR with a sleep expert who manages a sleep clinic in San Diego and heard four interesting things:
  • Melatonin as far as a pill is the best thing you can take, however, it just tells your body, it’s time to sleep. It’s not involved in the sleep itself. So it’s useful for recovering from jet lag.
  • No sleeping pill gives you the restorative rest you get from natural sleep. Being knocked out does not equal healthy sleep.
  • You can never recover the sleep you lose, it’s lost. Yes, you may sleep more to recover, but you will not recover the lost benefit because you lost sleep.
  • Short on sleep equates to a shortened life. Any negative, medically related thing that is going on inside you is worsened by lack of sleep, and that includes age related dimensia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.