Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
WTF? The big "revolution" is battlecast primetime?

Man what a load of BS.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
wtf! I definitely expected it to be released today.

This is crap. Why can't we even get a release date???

twoboxen

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Dirty, dirty lies.

EA is a slave shop for software engineers anyways. Man, Blizzard looks better every day.

Anyone tried the unofficial port? I bought 2142 for my windows PC late last year, just curious if i can play online with my same key.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
EA sucks ****, no offense to fans but they constantly disappoint me. And those stupid sports games, they rerelease them every year and make a complete KILLING on them. It's ridiculous, I want my CnC 3!

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
This sucks. Absolutely nothing. Well into August now and not a word.
Why would they specifically say July in June if they weren't absolutely ready?
Something fishy is going on, I read somewhere that at the iMac announcement journos were specifically not allowed to ask about gaming on the mac.

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Yeah this is pretty lame. Either they didn't really have a release date all along and July was just a weak way of saying "summer," or they have hit some sort of snag, likely on EA's end. I just wish there was some information on the issue. Right now it is dead in the water.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
What sucks EA games

Yeah this is pretty lame. Either they didn't really have a release date all along and July was just a weak way of saying "summer," or they have hit some sort of snag, likely on EA's end. I just wish there was some information on the issue. Right now it is dead in the water.

On a apple web page I read that ALL the EA games will be intel only. Sigh - of well one less CnC3 sale for EA

Here is for the hope that Apple will begin to port games to its 'other step family' of computer owners.... back to waiting 3 years for a hot game to arrive to the Mac

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
On a apple web page I read that ALL the EA games will be intel only. Sigh - of well one less CnC3 sale for EA

Here is for the hope that Apple will begin to port games to its 'other step family' of computer owners.... back to waiting 3 years for a hot game to arrive to the Mac

Yeah. It's somewhat of a racket. They won't even run natively on the Intel machines and though the performance hit from Cider is supposedly minimal, I'm still skeptical. I will certainly be purchasing C and C 3 when it does come out, if only to show that there is interest in mac games that don't require the use of boot camp.

The sad thing is, at the rate they are going, assuming they had their act together and cared about mac users at all, they certainly could have brought these games to both G5s and Intels and natively on both.

My opinion of EA was pretty rotten to begin with and this isn't helping. That said, it's not surprising in the least. Still frustrating though.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Just saw this on ...

Tuncer's blog over at IMG...

I did, however, get one phone call back from EA's distribution department. When we inquired about carrying EA's new products on Macgamestore.com, the person on the other end pretty much flat out said that we wouldn't be able to order any games through EA. Not only that, but EA had decided it would give Apple a 90-day exclusive on their first four Mac titles. When I asked why EA would do that, the person responded, "it's a way to say thanks to Steve for putting us in the keynote". Huh? After some more small talk, the lady promised to get back to me but never did.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/tuncersblog.php?ID=110

Apple is going to get a 90 day exclusive? Closest Apple store is over 100miles away from me. I guess I will wait after 90 days and get it with free shipping and no taxes from Amazon...

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
The title to that blog speaks volumes. I have to disagree somewhat Tuncer's comment about Aspyr. Some of their ports run terribly on some machines and it seems like their patches/fixes/updates are far and few between.

TheStranger55

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Personally if you have boot camp, I would just get the PC version. It'll probably be cheaper, and more up to date with patches and not to mention it'll probably have an expansion pack. The mac version might not even get the expansion pack for it.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Apple is going to get a 90 day exclusive? Closest Apple store is over 100miles away from me. I guess I will wait after 90 days and get it with free shipping and no taxes from Amazon...

apparently, apple have an online store now. :p ;)

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
apparently, apple have an online store now. :p ;)

Really you can buy things online?:eek: You mean like using the computer? They have that now?:p

Hmmm...must be why I said free shipping and no taxes from Amazon. I'll wait a bit to see reviews, patches and save a few buc-aroos.

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Personally if you have boot camp, I would just get the PC version. It'll probably be cheaper, and more up to date with patches and not to mention it'll probably have an expansion pack. The mac version might not even get the expansion pack for it.

That probably is the best solution at this time. I personally can't stand running two operating systems since you have to do twice the maintenance to keep them both up to date. That and it's difficult to use windows when you have been using OSX for so long.

That said, I did try Command and Conquer 3 using boot camp and it ran very well. It's a very scalable game graphically, so even weaker systems can run it just fine.

Gamespot did a "Hardware Perfoamance Guide" for C and C 3. Here

Still. I would like to be able to run it on the Mac side of things, just because that's where I do all my work.

TheStranger55

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
That probably is the best solution at this time. I personally can't stand running two operating systems since you have to do twice the maintenance to keep them both up to date. That and it's difficult to use windows when you have been using OSX for so long.

That said, I did try Command and Conquer 3 using boot camp and it ran very well. It's a very scalable game graphically, so even weaker systems can run it just fine.

Gamespot did a "Hardware Perfoamance Guide" for C and C 3. Here

Still. I would like to be able to run it on the Mac side of things, just because that's where I do all my work.

Well maintaining vista or xp in boot camp isn't that bad if you just use boot camp to do gaming. As long as you don't surf the net or check your e-mail in windows then you pretty much don't have to do anything, other than updating the boot camp drivers from time to time or automatically updating windows.

I use windows in boot camp just for gaming and everything else I use Mac and Parallels.

Most C & C usually get an expansion pack and if you get a Mac version, you risk not being able to play the expansion pack.

swampfox

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
Louisiana
I'm a mac newb and I hear that macs are not that great for games. Oh yeah, feel your pain on EA being dumb with CnC 3. (always hated sports games anyway):(

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I'm a mac newb and I hear that macs are not that great for games. Oh yeah, feel your pain on EA being dumb with CnC 3. (always hated sports games anyway):(

Depends on the game, the mac, and the settings you want to play at. A MacMini with integrated graphics isn't going to do so hot, a MacPro with an X1900XT will do better.

swampfox

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
Louisiana
Depends on the game, the mac, and the settings you want to play at. A MacMini with integrated graphics isn't going to do so hot, a MacPro with an X1900XT will do better.
That figures, do you have any experience with games on a macbook pro? I'm in the market for one and was wondering how they deliver on games.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.