Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Hey guys I was looking up the page with command and conquer 3 on it at the apple website and here where the system requirement:

System Requirements
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
1.83GHz or faster Intel Core Duo processor
1GB RAM
6GB free hard-disk space
Video card: ATI X1600 series or later; NVIDIA GeForce 7300 or later
DVD-ROM drive

Note: This game does not support the GMA950 integrated graphics card.
Does this mean the game won't run on a mac mini and macbook or that you cannot get customer support from ea using this chipset?

On the pc side EA says that:
Video: GeForce4, ATI Radeon 8500 or greater (ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI, NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX cards not supported.). Windows Vista - NVIDIA GeForce 6100 or ATI Radeon 9500 or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. (emphasis mine)
Pretty low requirements, (Geforce 4?) but if you've seen C&C3 at low it looks like mud. Even if it can run might not be worth it.

...and EA thanks for the lack of laptop support.:rolleyes:

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
As you said, C and C 3 doesn't look great with it's visual settings pulled way down. Still, the lack of laptop support is a bit weak. Then again, I'm not sure what the game would look like on an integrated chipset since I am not familiar with the power of laptop integrated graphics.

The sad thing is after all this wait I'm not all that excited about C and C 3. I played it for a bit with boot camp, and while it's definitely enjoyable, the game is incredibly fast paced, almost too fast paced for my tastes.

I am used to playing Warcraft 3, which is fairly quick, especially compared to games like Sup Com, where some of the "uber' units can take over and hour to build if you don't have a whole lot of workers "assisting." (This cuts the build time down quite a bit, but it still takes a long time for the bigger units to finish.) Anyhow, the point is, C and C 3 plays ridiculously quickly. Buildings and units alike can be churned out like nobodies business and it felt at times like it was difficult to devise a strategy when you had units and buildings popping out left and right.

That said, I am sure once one learns the hotkeys and gets more familiar with the game, it probably doesn't feel quite so overwhelmingly fast. I'm interested to hear what others think once this game hits shelves and people get a chance to try it out.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
As you said, C and C 3 doesn't look great with it's visual settings pulled way down. Still, the lack of laptop support is a bit weak. Then again, I'm not sure what the game would look like on an integrated chipset since I am not familiar with the power of laptop integrated graphics.

Really didn't expect it to run on a plain macbook. But I wonder with EAs statement of not supporting laptop chipsets how will this play out for people who have MBP with an X1600? How about the iMacs that use mobility GPUS? I'm just curious how will this affect updates and patches?

On a side note I did run Halo when it first came out on a celeron laptop with integrated graphics. Single player was playable, but multi-player was...horrible. There was no red or blue everyone was just grey, LOL :D

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006

The sad thing is after all this wait I'm not all that excited about C and C 3. I played it for a bit with boot camp, and while it's definitely enjoyable, the game is incredibly fast paced, almost too fast paced for my tastes.

I am used to playing Warcraft 3, which is fairly quick, especially compared to games like Sup Com, where some of the "uber' units can take over and hour to build if you don't have a whole lot of workers "assisting." (This cuts the build time down quite a bit, but it still takes a long time for the bigger units to finish.) Anyhow, the point is, C and C 3 plays ridiculously quickly. Buildings and units alike can be churned out like nobodies business and it felt at times like it was difficult to devise a strategy when you had units and buildings popping out left and right.

That said, I am sure once one learns the hotkeys and gets more familiar with the game, it probably doesn't feel quite so overwhelmingly fast. I'm interested to hear what others think once this game hits shelves and people get a chance to try it out.

I thought CNC3 was a fairly quick game as well but after spending quite some time with it (probably 100+ hours) you learn the ropes of the game and actually, it takes more effort and speed from me to play Warcraft 3 than it does Command & Conquer 3, its not THAT fast as say, Starcraft.

It is an awesome game though.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
So will a newer 20" Imac work with this? Not the brand new one, it's about 6 months old.

Son loves C&C.

Also - anyone know if you have to buy 2 copies to play over lan at home?

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
So will a newer 20" Imac work with this? Not the brand new one, it's about 6 months old.

Son loves C&C.

Also - anyone know if you have to buy 2 copies to play over lan at home?

Aside from my minor grumbling, it really should not be a problem on a X1600 and with a good core duo and 1Gig of ram it should run well. You should be able to run it at or near high quality on 1600x1200. Gamespot has a good hardware overview.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6168067/p-6.html

Also from Apple store:

System Requirements
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
1.83GHz or faster Intel Core Duo processor
1GB RAM
6GB free hard-disk space
Video card: ATI X1600 series or later; NVIDIA GeForce 7300 or later
DVD-ROM drive
Note: This game does not support the GMA950 integrated graphics card.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I'll be interested to see this. The Windows version works very well on Boot Camp with high detail on my MacBook Pro.

The PC version is more graphics card bound than anything else so I can understand the lack of GMA950 support. I did try it on my old desktop PC (P4 2.4, GeForce4) and it looked terrible but played OK - seems to need decent vertex and pixel shaders as it was just as bad with a GeForce 6500. Having changed the graphics card out for a Radeon 9800 it's looks as good as the MBP until you get a lot of units sapping the CPU power then the framerate drops.

Lets hope EA have done a decent job, otherwise they'll have kicked themselves in the foot.

I might pop by one of the Manchester stores tomorrow and ask.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone seen Hardware reviews and game performance for the C&C on the new imacs and the mac pro with X1900? I am looking at getting a new comp to replace my imac G5 with ATI radeon 9600 128 Mb Vram.

thanks

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Dates given on Macworld...

Looks like they decided to bring back the exclusive deal with apple after all...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/17/eaships/index.php

Users can order the games from Apple’s online store today. Need for Speed Carbon and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix are both going to be available in Apple retail stores beginning Tuesday, August 21, while Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars will be available a week later, on the 28th.

Customers looking for the games will need to go specifically to Apple’s retail or online stores. The titles aren’t available anywhere else. Apple confirmed to Macworld that the games are exclusive to the Apple stores, at least for the moment.

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Well well well. That's rather frustrating. While it is certainly possible to order from the online store now, all the games have a shipping delay that more or less ends up coinciding with the retail release dates.

So while you can place an online order now, it looks as if doing so won't be any quicker than waiting for the games to make it to retail locations. Both NFS Carbon and Harry Potter have an estimated shipping time of 3-5 days while C and C 3 and Battlefield 2142 are listed as 7-10 days until shipping. Both these delays put the shipping dates in the ballpark of the 21st and 28th respectively.

So unless you don't have a retail outlet near you, or you don't want to make the drive to one, it probably makes more sense to wait for the games to hit shelves if you want a copy asap.

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
It looks as if the shipping time for Command and Conquer 3 is now 24 hours from the apple store online.

Command and Conquer 3

I will call retail outlets later today and see if they have an ETA on shipments to them.

Update: I just called the apple store near me and the gentleman I spoke with said he had both Command and Conquer 3 and Battlefield 2142 in store and ready to sell.
Update Part 2: I just bought Command and Conquer 3 and Battlefield 2142. I am installing them at this time and will post later about performance etc.

ilogic

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
New Jersey
Quality / Performance Balance

guys any luck on the best settings, I got 2.0 Core Duo with 2 GB of RAM... any luck with some good settings?

Starscream

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
aye, just got it in, really excited to play it on my MAC, i load it on and pffft, it blows hard. I have a 1 yr old 15" Macbook Pro with a 2 GHz dual core intel. 1 GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon X1600. This meets and exceeds specifications shown on the box and website and i have to run it at a choppy resolution and turn the graphics down big time for it to run even halfway decent. Whoever the guy at the apple website is that says he ran it on my machine's specs flawlessly is crazy.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I've got a Mac Pro with the x1900 - anyone who also has that try to run this? was it still choppy?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I haven't had too many performance issues on my 2.4Ghz MBP with the 8600M chipset. Runs at 1920x1200 pretty well, with shaders and a few other things turned up high.

Granted, I am running Leopard, not Tiger. I am not too surprised Tiger is bottlenecking, actually... C&C3 seems to be a very CPU-intensive game, and OpenGL is also fairly CPU intensive on Tiger.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
HELP - any NO DVD fixes for this game?

Just bought the game. Does anyone have a NO-DVD patch for this? I HATE having to put the stupid DVD in each time i play and I also refuse to buy 2 copies for my son and I to play on our own network. The sales clerk at the Mac Store (bought it at retail Apple store) said I would have no problems.

I tried making a disk image using disk utility, but although it will install, it doesn't seem to accept that when trying to play.

I am not trying to pirate, I have a retail box here in my hand along with the installation code, which works fine. I just want to avoid the use of the DVD.

thanks for any prompt reply - my son is totally disappointed we can't play together on our Lan.
:mad:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Just bought the game. Does anyone have a NO-DVD patch for this? I HATE having to put the stupid DVD in each time i play and I also refuse to buy 2 copies for my son and I to play on our own network. The sales clerk at the Mac Store (bought it at retail Apple store) said I would have no problems.

I tried making a disk image using disk utility, but although it will install, it doesn't seem to accept that when trying to play.

I am not trying to pirate, I have a retail box here in my hand along with the installation code, which works fine. I just want to avoid the use of the DVD.

thanks for any prompt reply - my son is totally disappointed we can't play together on our Lan.
I doubt the license lets you do that.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

The big problem is that EA is using SecuROM (*puke*), and so it looks for the physical drive, unmounts the DVD, and does some reading directly from the drive to verify your copy.

To be honest, I am kinda surprised that Cider lets something like SecuROM work correctly on OS X. And the fact that it actually worked without being a PITA like it is on Windows... (EDIT: Well, except the fact that the C&C3 disc can't be in the second drive if the first one has a disc in it)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I noticed the DVD disappeared from my desktop. I tried eject via keyboard and even via a terminal command and couldn't get the disk to pop out.

somebody must have fixed this :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.