Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, I be damned. Look at what we have here.

Episode 2 is coming on April 19th for the Prehistoric Planet Immersive on Apple TV.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, I mean honestly, what a let down. I assumed there would be actual, real, full length content at some point. These are just technology showcase demos.

My guess is that when AppleTV+ are being pitched ideas for new feature length content they’re saying “now should we film it in spatial format or regular 2D? Hmm… well with the former we can reach an audience of about 12 people who have Vision Pros, whereas with the latter we can reach millions of people who have normal TVs, so let’s do the latter.” If Apple want the Vision Pro to succeed their top management need to tell the AppleTV+ division “I don’t care if it’s uneconomical at the moment, make feature length immersive content!”
For some productions, particularly documentaries that don't require a rapidly-moving or changing camera POV, I don't see why they can't do both simultaneously. The rhino piece, which looks like it was shot from a small number of fixed camera positions on the ground, is a case-in-point. The same could be true for concert videos. The immersive versions would lack the close-up shots of people and instruments we're used to, but the feeling of being present would add a dimension unattainable with conventional video.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
When I did the demo of the VP, the immersive content was amazing. BUT - I also had a realistic idea that content would not be coming out soon and frequently. Apple did NOT say they were going to be providing a lot of it and when it would come out. They didn't mislead anyone.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
They didn't mislead anyone.
They did. If you make a device, demo it for customers doing a thing so they buy it, the customers are going to expect it to do that thing.

If they’d said “look at this amazing immersive video demo! Wasn’t that cool? Ok, don’t actually buy it for that though because we’re never actually going to make any of that stuff for real” then ok. But if someone demos me an experience for a device so I buy that device, it had better well actually deliver that experience.

What drives me nuts as well is that this is literally the easiest complaint about the Vision Pro for them to solve. Weight, comfort, lens glare, etc., those reported issues are at the limits of what technology allows in the year 2024. But lack of content? They’re a multi-billion dollar company! Literally all they need to do is throw a tiny percentage of their revenue at content producers and this problem would be solved.

Instead we wait months for 5 more minutes of looking at dinosaurs if we’re lucky.

The rehearsal room concept - great. Why do we still only have one artist?? Rent a fancy rehearsal room, pay a band a few $10ks, send a film crew down, record it, upload it. It’s so easy for them to fix this issue, for the life of me I can’t understand why they don’t.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Weight, comfort, lens glare, etc., those reported issues are at the limits of what technology allows in the year 2024. But lack of content? They’re a multi-billion dollar company! Literally all they need to do is throw a tiny percentage of their revenue at content producers and this problem would be solved.

I think the ATP guys nailed it..

Initial AVP sales were below projections (shocker, right? - lol) and it internally got downgraded to a longer term content rollout plan and financial commitment.

I maintain that AVP is going to get "HomePod'd" or "AirPodsMax'd"

Sit, stagnate ... maybe even get cancelled at some point, as I think it's going to sell in vastly lower quantities than both the HP and APM.

It's about a 95% flop at this point.
Anyone who doesn't see that is not being objective here.

Reactions: cardfan

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I think the ATP guys nailed it..

Initial AVP sales were below projections (shocker, right? - lol) and it internally got downgraded to a longer term content rollout plan and financial commitment.

I maintain that AVP is going to get "HomePod'd" or "AirPodsMax'd"

Sit, stagnate ... maybe even get cancelled at some point, as I think it's going to sell in vastly lower quantities than both the HP and APM.

It's about a 95% flop at this point.
Anyone who doesn't see that is not being objective here.

Reality, may want to try it sometime. They sold out of the original 200K they looked to sell. They are now looking to send it out world-wide. It’s a slow rollout due to the intense setup with multitudes of options to fit faces perfectly. In the US, the demo experience was flawed. Not everyone trained the same way. The messaging was different. The app wasn’t consistent on what light shield, etc. one needed. Pretty sure they learned from it and improved. Now we are hearing people from Apple stores in France are going through training.

I’ve used my VP daily since purchase which was fairly close to initial rollout. This thing is awesome and there are many more people like me out there. Only those who fail to comprehend or are only out to belittle Apple in any way they can are not being objective here. Or maybe, they have ulterior motives.

I stand by no one at Apple said Immersive content was going to coming out by the truckload. I asked the guy who initially demo’s the VP for me when there would be more content like what I was seeing. He didn’t lie and tell me how much was in the works. That it would be coming out frequently or anything like that. Apple didn’t lie. They didn’t mislead. It wasn’t in their script - that they followed to a tee. They showed what was possible. AND quite frankly, they are not the only ones who may have the capability to produce such content.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
Reality, may want to try it sometime. They sold out of the original 200K they looked to sell. They are now looking to send it out world-wide. It’s a slow rollout due to the intense setup with multitudes of options to fit faces perfectly. In the US, the demo experience was flawed. Not everyone trained the same way. The messaging was different. The app wasn’t consistent on what light shield, etc. one needed. Pretty sure they learned from it and improved. Now we are hearing people from Apple stores in France are going through training.

I’ve used my VP daily since purchase which was fairly close to initial rollout. This thing is awesome and there are many more people like me out there. Only those who fail to comprehend or are only out to belittle Apple in any way they can are not being objective here. Or maybe, they have ulterior motives.

I stand by no one at Apple said Immersive content was going to coming out by the truckload. I asked the guy who initially demo’s the VP for me when there would be more content like what I was seeing. He didn’t lie and tell me how much was in the works. That it would be coming out frequently or anything like that. Apple didn’t lie. They didn’t mislead. It wasn’t in their script - that they followed to a tee. They showed what was possible. AND quite frankly, they are not the only ones who may have the capability to produce such content.
What if I sold you a new games console in which I demoed some amazing graphical performance on games I produced in-house for it. You get it home, and it turns out they were just 5 minute demos. I wasn’t actually going to make any real games for it, you can’t actually really use it for gaming after all.

Would you feel misled and ripped off, or would you say “ah well, even though he showed me games on the device to convince me to buy it, he never explicitly told me that they were going to release games for it for real, so he did nothing wrong”?

I’m still happy with my Vision Pro overall, but I do feel ripped off on the immersive content. If you show me an experience to get me to buy a device, you’d better deliver that experience.

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
It’s not that they don’t have tons of immersive content to release, they’re just sitting on it. And from Apple’s point of view they have no reason to release more yet until they’re able to ship more units and are closer to the release of a cheaper version.

Immersive content is what people want but the device needs to be within reach of the average consumer first. Otherwise if they release their awesome stuff now people will be like oh well, I can’t afford or am unable to buy an AVP now so they will forget about it. They want this awesome content to make headlines when they can capitalize on it.

• Haha
Reactions: vinegarshots

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
It’s not that they don’t have tons of immersive content to release, they’re just sitting on it. And from Apple’s point of view they have no reason to release more yet until they’re able to ship more units and are closer to the release of a cheaper version.

Immersive content is what people want but the device needs to be within reach of the average consumer first. Otherwise if they release their awesome stuff now people will be like oh well, I can’t afford or am unable to buy an AVP now so they will forget about it. They want this awesome content to make headlines when they can capitalize on it.
Oh I see! I didn’t realise the world had a finite amount of immersive content that could be created, it all makes sense now. Immersive content is like oil, if Apple use it all up now they’ll have none left to use when the Vision Pro gets really popular.

If only Apple could use some of that immersive content now to reward people who actually bought the Vision Pro and maintain a happy user base - with all the good publicity that brings - and then create more, new immersive content to release later when they run out of the first batch.

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I have an AVP too and want more content but I’m just being realistic. Apple obviously has quality standards, they’re not just going to release a bunch of mediocre content for the sake of it. We’re already getting the bottom of the barrel with the dinosaur crap, they’re just saving their better stuff for down the line.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
I have an AVP too and want more content but I’m just being realistic. Apple obviously has quality standards, they’re not just going to release a bunch of mediocre content for the sake of it. We’re already getting the bottom of the barrel with the dinosaur crap, they’re just saving their better stuff for down the line.
How many 2D shows have they released on AppleTV+ since the Vision Pro came out? I just don’t get why it’s as hard as people seem to be making out for them to make immersive content.

If Apple give me a $10k budget and some loaner cameras to use I’ll go find a band and make the next episode of the immersive rehearsal show for them right now.

Achieving more than 5 minutes of content per month shouldn’t be beyond the capabilities of the world’s richest company.

• Love
Reactions: fatTribble

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
What if I sold you a new games console in which I demoed some amazing graphical performance on games I produced in-house for it. You get it home, and it turns out they were just 5 minute demos. I wasn’t actually going to make any real games for it, you can’t actually really use it for gaming after all.

Actually very similar when new consoles come out. Typically takes a very long time for games to be able to properly use the new consoles performance, etc.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
Actually very similar when new consoles come out. Typically takes a very long time for games to be able to properly use the new consoles performance, etc.
If I only got 5 minutes of new game time per month on a games console I for one would be returning it.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

Would you feel misled and ripped off, or would you say “ah well, even though he showed me games on the device to convince me to buy it, he never explicitly told me that they were going to release games for it for real, so he did nothing wrong”?

I’m still happy with my Vision Pro overall, but I do feel ripped off on the immersive content. If you show me an experience to get me to buy a device, you’d better deliver that experience.

For your example, yes, I'd feel ripped off. But, that example is apples to oranges. immersive video or stuff like the dinosaur experience isn't all the VP does. It's not the only reason to buy it. A game console is meant to play games. If there aren't any games, then, what do you do with it? Whereas there is SO MUCH more you can do with the VP than watch a certain type of video.

Not sure why anyone would buy the VP JUST for the immersive content. That was demo'd as part of what the device is capable of doing. The demo wasn't based solely on immersive content.

What really has me scratching my head is why people thought immersive content was going to be a big thing today.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

Where do you get that they have tons of immersive content to release? That doesn't make sense to me. If it's ready to go, it should be released. There is NO reason why they should hold it back from release.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
What really has me scratching my head is why people thought immersive content was going to be a big thing today.
Because,

1. They made it a centerpiece of their in store demo of what the Vision Pro is for. I don’t remember them spending much time showing me how amazing it is to use Numbers spreadsheets or add a calendar appointment in the demo.
  2. It’s so easy for them to do. They already have studios and content creators who make shows for them thanks to AppleTV+, they have cameras to record it, this should have been so easy for them to put together if they had put even the tiniest amount of effort into it.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Sung to the tune of Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?
With apologies to Paula Cole:

Oh, you get me ready in your AVP demo
Why don't we get immersed in a vid?
Walk across a highline
Or maybe watch a rhino dine
It's better than Meta ya know

I will wear it all day
If you pay Apple's bill
Where is my VR content?
Where are my spatial songs?
Where is my happy ending?
Where has all the immersion gone?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Because,

1. They made it a centerpiece of their in store demo of what the Vision Pro is for. I don’t remember them spending much time showing me how amazing it is to use Numbers spreadsheets or add a calendar appointment in the demo.
  2. It’s so easy for them to do. They already have studios and content creators who make shows for them thanks to AppleTV+, they have cameras to record it, this should have been so easy for them to put together if they had put even the tiniest amount of effort into it.
Yes! Even if it’s not easy, even if it’s difficult, Apple should have planned ahead like they do for nearly everything else.

Reactions: WingingIt

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Can you link your source for that? I’ve never read that anywhere.
The source is that immersive trailer showing clips of a lot of the episodes. They’re just seeing how long they can get away with not releasing anything for a while. That dinosaur episode coming out next week is them throwing us a bone as it’s now starting to make headlines that they haven’t released anything.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
When I went to demo my Vision Pro they showed me the immersive demo trailer and I was blown away. There I was, standing in the middle of a baseball game, touching rhinos, all that. I get home and spend some time with that chick on the tightrope, listen to Alicia Keys rehearsing even though it’s not my kind of music, all that… I was like <Jony Ive voice> This. Changes. Everything.

Since then? Nothing, nada, tumbleweeds. In fact, Apple should use their immersive cameras to record a tumbleweed blowing past you and add that to Apple TV+

I can only assume that Apple have decided that the Vision Pro is such a niche product with a small user base that it’s not worth their time to produce immersive content. If that is true and even Apple don’t think the Vision Pro is worth creating content for, what hope do we have that other content creation platforms will bother producing Vision Pro apps and adding content to it? Even if it’s a loss making enterprise for them at the moment, Apple need to get out there and start filming immersive content or it’s going to die out at birth.
The product was DOA. It isn't unexpected at all to see the content and apps being absolutely non-existent.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
The source is that immersive trailer showing clips of a lot of the episodes. They’re just seeing how long they can get away with not releasing anything for a while. That dinosaur episode coming out next week is them throwing us a bone as it’s now starting to make headlines that they haven’t released anything.
Because another 5 minutes of content will make everything alright…

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
Because,

I agree with this.
They also had these "3D" MLS signs:
all over the apple stores here in CA that gave one the impression there would be more than a 5min MLS video to see.

Reactions: WingingIt

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
The AVP seems to me to be one of Apple's most obvious, massive blunders in their history as a company. They made this expensive device and released it without any convincing use-cases EXCEPT for content consumption. Games are a non-starter. Everything else is all pie-in-the-sky "spatial computing" hand-waving through the reality distortion field, without any solid "spatial computing" apps on the horizon. But content... that was the EASY PART. They could release tons of content while everyone is waiting (years?) for compelling apps to be developed, and keep giving people a reason to want one of these things long-term. This is one of the advantages Apple has over Meta. Meta has no content delivery ecosystem like Apple has. But Apple is squandering this advantage to the extreme. Once AVP becomes another dust-collecting VR headset, it's really hard to reset the enthusiasm in the general public.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Noticing that Apple TV+ has a new set of 3D movies available makes me think that Apple is well aware of the lack of immersive content. They are filling in via Apple TV+ with 3D movies until more content is available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.