Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
Day two of Otterbox Cactus Leather case and the camera ring is partially detached. It's not really noticeable with the phone on the case, but it's a thing. I'm going to exchange it for another one because otherwise I'm really happy with this case. Hopefully this is a one-off issue.

Otterbox was willing to exchange my Cactus Leather case with the camera ring issue at no cost to me, but they had no replacements in stock. I was able to swap it out at my local Verizon store though. They were surprised they even had one in stock. So far so good with the new one.

Found another Verizon store with the case and honestly it’s about the same. Unless all the stores got duds that’s just how it looks (at least on the 15 Pro)

The usb-c opening on my case looks similar to yours. I kind of have to hold it at that angle to see it though.

Reactions: PKdeGallo

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah I think I never noticed this was a thing cases did and it thew me off, just bored on a Tuesday I guess.
This has been a regular problem for the Symmetry and quite a few cases from various manufacturers over the years. Personally, once I saw it, I wasn’t able to unsee it, so it’s one of the first things I check when trying out a new case. Phone Rebel has been criticized for their small opening around the port, but it seems they’ve done that to prevent this issue and the dreaded saggy bottom. Caudabe has dealt with it by adding a small horizontal shelf above the port which stiffens the area without having to make the opening smaller, which is something other manufacturers should copy (looking at you Otterbox).

This year I had this problem with the Pitaka Pro, had to return a couple before I received one without the gap...

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Day two of Otterbox Cactus Leather case and the camera ring is partially detached. It's not really noticeable with the phone on the case, but it's a thing. I'm going to exchange it for another one because otherwise I'm really happy with this case. Hopefully this is a one-off issue.

View attachment 2373275
Wow, Mine is holding strong. Did it pop out removing the case from the phone?

Reactions: alamperti

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
View attachment 2373323 Okay I got the Cactus case, it feels great and all but unless I’m going crazy here the charging port cutout is too big for the 15 Pro. I can see it peaking over the bottom of the case lol.

I might see if I could reach out to Otterbox directly about this*. Verizon store only had one in stock and they had to dig in the back to even find it.

*Edit: I spoke to Otterbox and because they don't sell the case on the website there's nothing I could do about replacing the case. Lmfao, guess I need to try jumping to different Verizon stores.

Edit 2: Added a photo trying to show as best as I could the issue.
I actually noticed this same thing on my 15PM version.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Found another Verizon store with the case and honestly it’s about the same. Unless all the stores got duds that’s just how it looks (at least on the 15 Pro)

I’m not going to bother returning it or anything since it’s not as bad as the saggy bottom issue the Symmetry’s usually have but it’s something to be aware of.

Also trying to explain the issue to the folks in the Verizon store made me realize how insane I sound and how much I care about cases lol.

Edit: I just tested out the Bullstrap closed bottom case to see if that one has the same issue and it does. Which now makes me have less of an issue with the Otterbox doing it. Just guess that’s a thing and I never noticed it before. Hell, a good portion of my cases might do it and I’ve just never noticed it.

I’m losing it, got a bad case of phone case brain rot going on lmfao.
Did they have the green Cactus in the store? Just wondering what that green looks like.

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
Wow, Mine is holding strong. Did it pop out removing the case from the phone?
I noticed it when the case was off of the phone. I don't know if it came that way or if it did pop off at some point. I will be a bit more careful and make sure I don't flex the case when removing it since this seems to be a weakness in the design.

Reactions: Hooterville

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
The Smartish case, do you use it, if yes, how do you find it?
I must admit, I have never heard of the case before!
I had a Gripzilla in the past. It’s a very good case, though a little bulky for my current preferences. Here’s TT’s review:

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
This has been a regular problem for the Symmetry and quite a few cases from various manufacturers over the years. Personally, once I saw it, I wasn’t able to unsee it, so it’s one of the first things I check when trying out a new case. Phone Rebel has been criticized for their small opening around the port, but it seems they’ve done that to prevent this issue and the dreaded saggy bottom. Caudabe has dealt with it by adding a small horizontal shelf above the port which stiffens the area without having to make the opening smaller, which is something other manufacturers should copy (looking at you Otterbox).

This year I had this problem with the Pitaka Pro, had to return a couple before I received one without the gap...
no gap on my symmetry

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
no gap on my symmetry
I’m batting 50/50 this year (one with gap and sag, one without). In my experience, Otterbox cases in general have sometimes had gap/sag issues due to the softer than average TPU they tend to use.

Last edited:

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
What would you guys say is the best case for grip?
Personally having tried so many cases I would say the Pitaka MagEZ. It’s a thin case but the fact that it doesn’t overly bulk up the phone helps and for my hands, the material just seems to grip really well

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
I've not normally been one for 'fiber' type cases, mainly because fingerprints have always bugged me too much. I tried the Rebel Gen-5 this year and thought it was poor, I particularly disliked the gaps between the fiber backing and the TPU sides, grime just seemed to always be stuck in there.

But.. someone just gave me a Benks MagClap ArmorPro and I am pretty impressed. It feels beautifully made and high quality, a few hours in I'm not seeing many fingerprints, cutouts don't hurt my pinky, and the buttons are fantastic. It's taken me by surprise but I'm loving it. One of the most impressive cases I've had this year.

And makes me think.... has anyone got any other fiber cases they'd recommend trying? As above, I really didn't like the Rebel, and I did try the Pitaka but found the cutouts sharp on my pinky.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 60

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Personally having tried so many cases I would say the Pitaka MagEZ. It’s a thin case but the fact that it doesn’t overly bulk up the phone helps and for my hands, the material just seems to grip really well
Isn't the case supposed to be slippery and sharp around the edges?

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Finally got my OtterBox Cactus Leather. Fit is excellent, the size is excellent, what I’m most surprised by is the grip of it especially being brand new. The texture just makes it super grippy and I feel it will be very durable as well. Very happy with the case overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.