Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Floating buttons would be the next step to improving from button cover slits. Pitaka was pushed to do that for their Pro case for the 15 this year after Benks decided to release a 14 case like their Pro but with floating buttons and received better praise all around. I was hoping Phone Rebel would have pushed Caudabe with this Air line, but nope, just a substandard copy of a Caudabe with button cover slits also. I would expect another Sheath and Synthesis with after thought button cover slits again for the 16 later this year.
Agreed, floating buttons have the potential to be better than button covers when implemented properly.

I wouldn’t give up on Caudabe just yet. The photos of their S24 Sheath show floating buttons, which gives me hope they’ll also be implemented on the next generation for the iPhone.

IMG_5418.jpeg

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
BandWerk Performance Leather in Graphite not so great after several days of use :(
The MagSafe ring is rearing it's ugly head, have a scratch already, the leather is dull and dry feeling :(
Emailed BandWerk and they say not to use any leather conditioner on these cases are they have a waterproof coating and only to use a damp cloth to clean the back with.

$75.00 a crack - fuhgeddaboudit

band01.jpg

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
You already know! lol I have kind of settled on a handful of cases that I use regularly and the rest are just taking up valuable space!
Yea, I'm in the same boat. Cases are pretty much worthless this late in the game. I have a ton that I need to offload myself. eBay is a good place to dump cases but after they take their fees and you ship the thing, there is not much left over. I find the Marketplace here not that great for selling cases. I need to thin the herd over here soon.

Reactions: Joe123Joe

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
Received the Otterbox "Cactus Leather" case for the 15 Pro this morning.
It fits well, nice grip, seems well made. Might be a keeper. I will come back and update this after using the phone for a few days.

It comes in at 31 grams so it's still a bit heavier than Apple's options. However, it's the closest we've gotten to that 26g/27g benchmark with a case that isn't an ultra minimal case (ex. Pitaka).

Sharing some iPhone 15 pro case weights I've gathered since purchasing this dumb phone last fall. I know not everyone cares about phone case weight (do you even lift, bro?!? lololol), but if there is anywhere that someone might, it's here.

iPhone 15 Pro187g
Pitaka MagEZ 419g206g
TORRAS Magnetic Slim Fit23g210g
Apple FineWoven26g213g
Apple Silicone27g214g
Otterbox "Cactus Leather"31g218g
Decoded Leather Back Cover33g220g
Fake Apple "Leather" from Aliexpress33g220g
LUCKYCOIN Magnetic "Leather"33g220g
Bullstrap Leather36g223g
Spigen Magnetic Enzo Aramid41g228g

iPhone 14 Pro for reference
iPhone 14 Pro206g
Pitaka MagEZ 318g224g
Apple Leather26g232g

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Received the Otterbox "Cactus Leather" case for the 15 Pro this morning.
It fits well, nice grip, seems well made. Might be a keeper. I will come back and update this after using the phone for a few days.

It comes in at 31 grams so it's still a bit heavier than Apple's options. However, it's the closest we've gotten to that 26g/27g benchmark with a case that isn't an ultra minimal case (ex. Pitaka).

Sharing some iPhone 15 pro case weights I've gathered since purchasing this dumb phone last fall. I know not everyone cares about phone case weight (do you even lift, bro?!? lololol), but if there is anywhere that someone might, it's here.

iPhone 15 Pro187g
Pitaka MagEZ 419g206g
TORRAS Magnetic Slim Fit23g210g
Apple FineWoven26g213g
Apple Silicone27g214g
Otterbox "Cactus Leather"31g218g
Decoded Leather Back Cover33g220g
Fake Apple "Leather" from Aliexpress33g220g
LUCKYCOIN Magnetic "Leather"33g220g
Bullstrap Leather36g223g
Spigen Magnetic Enzo Aramid41g228g

iPhone 14 Pro for reference
iPhone 14 Pro206g
Pitaka MagEZ 318g224g
Apple Leather26g232g
Is your Otterbox logo near the power button janky looking on your Cactus case?

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Yea, I'm in the same boat. Cases are pretty much worthless this late in the game. I have a ton that I need to offload myself. eBay is a good place to dump cases but after they take their fees and you ship the thing, there is not much left over. I find the Marketplace here not that great for selling cases. I need to thin the herd over here soon.
Yeah I mean I haven’t had great luck selling cases. I tried doing a big bag of them for my 13 pro max a few years ago on Facebook marketplace … think I was looking for $100 bucks and there was like 25 cases… I had one taker, but it never worked out to make the transaction, so I ended up giving them all to a coworker…. It kind of sells you out as a case addict when you hand over 2 shopping bags full of cases lmao!

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah I mean I haven’t had great luck selling cases. I tried doing a big bag of them for my 13 pro max a few years ago on Facebook marketplace … think I was looking for $100 bucks and there was like 25 cases… I had one taker, but it never worked out to make the transaction, so I ended up giving them all to a coworker…. It kind of sells you out as a case addict when you hand over 2 shopping bags full of cases lmao!
After doing the math, seeing how little you can get for individual cases, how much shipping costs, and considering the hassle of packing and shipping each one individually, I decided to try to sell the whole collection at a deep discount. That didn’t work. I’ll be donating them or giving them to a friend if I can find one who wants them (pretty unlikely).

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
I am still hanging in with the good old black symmetry, every other case I have tried have been returned.
$50AUD for the year so far.

Can't even sell a as new 14 pro carbon mous limited for $10AUD.

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
How’s the MagSafe ring now that it’s been a few days?
Okay, the Magsafe ring on the Cactus material is just fine after about 3 charges on the Magsafe charger. There are no marks or anything on the actual material it's self. Now, the Magsafe bump/indent is visible on the case straight out of the box new, but you have to really be looking for it to see it. I'm thinking this Cactus material is pretty durable.

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
Day two of Otterbox Cactus Leather case and the camera ring is partially detached. It's not really noticeable with the phone on the case, but it's a thing. I'm going to exchange it for another one because otherwise I'm really happy with this case. Hopefully this is a one-off issue.

otterbox_cactus_leather_loose_camera_ring.jpg

PKdeGallo

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2015
Miami, FL
IMG_0108.jpeg
Okay I got the Cactus case, it feels great and all but unless I’m going crazy here the charging port cutout is too big for the 15 Pro. I can see it peaking over the bottom of the case lol.

I might see if I could reach out to Otterbox directly about this*. Verizon store only had one in stock and they had to dig in the back to even find it.

*Edit: I spoke to Otterbox and because they don't sell the case on the website there's nothing I could do about replacing the case. Lmfao, guess I need to try jumping to different Verizon stores.

Edit 2: Added a photo trying to show as best as I could the issue.

Last edited:

fadeout

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2023
Got my Glow case in fits perfect this time around, (watch band was very tight fitting this time too) Think this is it for me for the 15pm I’m good until the 16 esp after seeing some of the issues with the cactus leather. Hopefully that gets squashed in time for the next phone.

PKdeGallo

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2015
Miami, FL
Found another Verizon store with the case and honestly it’s about the same. Unless all the stores got duds that’s just how it looks (at least on the 15 Pro)

I’m not going to bother returning it or anything since it’s not as bad as the saggy bottom issue the Symmetry’s usually have but it’s something to be aware of.

Also trying to explain the issue to the folks in the Verizon store made me realize how insane I sound and how much I care about cases lol.

Edit: I just tested out the Bullstrap closed bottom case to see if that one has the same issue and it does. Which now makes me have less of an issue with the Otterbox doing it. Just guess that’s a thing and I never noticed it before. Hell, a good portion of my cases might do it and I’ve just never noticed it.

I’m losing it, got a bad case of phone case brain rot going on lmfao.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.