Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Keep in mind the Bandwerk cases you see on eBay are their first run cases with an open hole for the action button that nobody wants.

Yeah I remember seeing a post about that before. I’ve gone for the sport case in black direct from them. Was really tempted by the sage green but couldn’t convince myself!

Reactions: Hooterville

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Orange City - Who does it better ?

orange00.jpg
orange02.jpg

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
OK, so Cactus>Symmetry. But how about Cactus vs Synthesis? 🤔
I got you ;)

Otterbox Cactus VS Caudabe Synthesis

Cactus 36.4 grams
Synthesis 46.1 grams

Cactus is thinner, lighter, better buttons, better feel in hand, looks better, felt lining inside back and is just a fantastic case. The only thing the Synthesis has better is the grip. These are just my opinions, your mileage may vary o_O

Attachments

• sc01.jpg
    sc01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • sc02.jpg
    sc02.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 59
  • sc03.jpg
    sc03.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 57
  • sc04.jpg
    sc04.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 55
  • sc05.jpg
    sc05.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 58
  • sc06.jpg
    sc06.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 59
  • sc07.jpg
    sc07.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • sc08.jpg
    sc08.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • sc09.jpg
    sc09.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I got you ;)

Otterbox Cactus VS Caudabe Synthesis

Cactus 36.4 grams
Synthesis 46.1 grams

Cactus is thinner, lighter, better buttons, better feel in hand, looks better, felt lining inside back and is just a fantastic case. The only thing the Synthesis has better is the grip. These are just my opinions, your mileage may vary o_O
Thanks so much! I value your opinion, so this is very helpful. I’ll be ordering one as soon as they’re more widely available. Thanks again! 🙏🏼

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I have a bunch of 15 pro cases, 6.1”. Where can I get rid of them?? Can I sell them here, or does someone want to buy a care package of like 5-10 lightly used cases?? lol

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah I remember seeing a post about that before. I’ve gone for the sport case in black direct from them. Was really tempted by the sage green but couldn’t convince myself!
They must have changed the name from performance case to sport recently ;)
Wonder if they did any improvements to the actual cases.

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
...better buttons...felt lining inside back....
This right here. If I'm paying $30+ for a case, it better not have the same "button covers with slits" that a $3.99 TPU case off eBay or AliExpress would have. This is why I **** on the Pitaka Pro for the 14 last year and why I won't even consider a Caudabe case now no matter how great the fit is.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I got the glow 2.0 the other day, loving it so far. It’s hard to make it really glow, as I haven’t gone out into the sun to charge it up and then headed to a pitch black room. I’ll try to do it later and see how it looks, but the regular color is a definite improvement over the original in my opinion. I also got the sport case for AirPods Pro in marine blue.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 41

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I've been tempted by this case again particularly with the orange buttons, I had the clear on for the 14 pro max but as much as I bought it to protect the camera module I found it a hassle in 'quick snap' situations.

Looking on Apple UK I've found another one I've not seen available elsewhere, it doesn't have the camera slider and the buttons and magnets are glow in the dark ...sad I know, but it doesn't take much to fascinate me! 😂 - It could look quite good on a dark phone

(Weirdly It only came up under a specific search for Tech21 cases).

I got a FlexPro (iPhone 15 Plus version) but it does not seem to be very protective. Has anybody used it long enough to comment on this?

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
This right here. If I'm paying $30+ for a case, it better not have the same "button covers with slits" that a $3.99 TPU case off eBay or AliExpress would have. This is why I **** on the Pitaka Pro for the 14 last year and why I won't even consider a Caudabe case now no matter how great the fit is.
There are now plenty of cases with floating buttons on AliExpress and elsewhere for under $5; floating buttons are no longer a differentiator in that regard. With some of the problems I’ve had with floating buttons recently (rattles, side bulges, extreme sensitivity, etc.), I’m no longer in the camp that they’re always better. In my opinion, regardless of whether we’re talking about button covers or floating buttons, the execution is what matters.

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
There are now plenty of cases with floating buttons on AliExpress and elsewhere for under $5; floating buttons are no longer a differentiator in that regard. With some of the problems I’ve had with floating buttons recently (rattles, side bulges, extreme sensitivity, etc.), I’m no longer in the camp that they’re always better. In my opinion, regardless of whether we’re talking about button covers or floating buttons, the execution is what matters.
That’s true, execution really does matter. Button cover slits are consistent, they are okay and always mediocre, they get the job done, might let in some dust/lint, whatever, but it does get the job done. Floating buttons can be terrible too with bad tolerances(looking at you Phone Rebel defect issues) and looseness/rattling(Benks). However, not bad, but mediocre floating buttons are still better than button cover slits, which again are mediocre as it is the highest bar they are gonna clear. Nobody is ever saying these ”button covers with slits are spectacular”, it’s always, ”they’re clicky“ or “provide a tactile press feedback”. Useable And basically a forgettable thought in design. Good floating buttons can make a decent case a better case. When Apple put floating buttons on their silicone cases, it was a great improvement.

Floating buttons would be the next step to improving from button cover slits. Pitaka was pushed to do that for their Pro case for the 15 this year after Benks decided to release a 14 case like their Pro but with floating buttons and received better praise all around. I was hoping Phone Rebel would have pushed Caudabe with this Air line, but nope, just a substandard copy of a Caudabe with button cover slits also. I would expect another Sheath and Synthesis with after thought button cover slits again for the 16 later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.