Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Awaiting the next season of Death in Paradise to arrive likely in July, but have Beyond Paradise in the interim.
Found Death in Paradise to be extremely varying in quality (within seasons, I think changing the main person every other year is a feature not a flaw), but at it's best it's just fantastic. There's a strong possibility that one of our next Summer Holidays will go to Guadeloupe (with a weekend layover in Paris on the way back).

Beyond Paradise is OK, but not as good, IMO, but the missus likes it, so maybe that's just me... :)

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
6ef970938930c37de818cdc445006c971fc0b145cbf63048f9ed0ae1f49f8ac8.jpg

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Found Death in Paradise to be extremely varying in quality (within seasons, I think changing the main person every other year is a feature not a flaw), but at it's best it's just fantastic. There's a strong possibility that one of our next Summer Holidays will go to Guadeloupe (with a weekend layover in Paris on the way back).

Beyond Paradise is OK, but not as good, IMO, but the missus likes it, so maybe that's just me... :)
Agree, DiP over the dozen or so seasons has been quite a roller coaster ride despite the unchanging basic premise of each and every show. And also agree about Beyond Paradise: less than DiP but watchable. Better half doesn’t care for it at all but I’ve grown to enjoy. I’m really looking forward to Return to Paradise, yet another spin-off set in Australia.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Agree, DiP over the dozen or so seasons has been quite a roller coaster ride despite the unchanging basic premise of each and every show. And also agree about Beyond Paradise: less than DiP but watchable. Better half doesn’t care for it at all but I’ve grown to enjoy. I’m really looking forward to Return to Paradise, yet another spin-off set in Australia.

Interestingly, only three characters have been in Death in Paradise since the beginning -- the Commissioner, Catherine and Harry.

Not too sure about Return to Paradise, I just hope it isn't overly laden with cliches.

If you are looking for something Aussie-based, but not cliche-ridden, here are a couple --

Ioan Gruffidd in Harrow, a Queensland-based Silent Witness type series (yes, complete with a crocodile...)
Bryan Brown and Greta Scacchi in Darby and Joan

Reactions: SalisburySam

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Interestingly, only three characters have been in Death in Paradise since the beginning -- the Commissioner, Catherine and Harry.
Yes, and Harry is CGI!
If you are looking for something Aussie-based, but not cliche-ridden, here are a couple --

Ioan Gruffidd in Harrow, a Queensland-based Silent Witness type series (yes, complete with a crocodile...)
Bryan Brown and Greta Scacchi in Darby and Joan
Thanks, will try these out. I’ve see Welch actor Ioan Gruffidd previously in Forever, which sadly lasted only one season, though his career is amazing. I’ve only seen Greta Scacchi in Bodies, for me a fascinating one-season time-warping series with the enigmatic recurring catch-phrase: “Know you are loved.”

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Have started Shardlake. An interesting cross between Cadfael and Wolf Hall, with elements of Name of the Rose.
I just noticed that on Disney+ the other day, and put it on my playlist.

I love the books. Read the first couple of them back when they came out, and last year made a mental note to re-read them, and then finish the series of books.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I loved them too, also read them when they came out - he wrote a couple of other non Shardlake - Dominion and Winter in Madrid. Just watched the first episode on Disney - it’s alright but feels a bit off at times imho. I was hoping for more of a BBC Wolf Hall feel.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
AAAAQVFLmOp9j9U27jDZOPQSgeV1OEwW_3N6-tZrgfWnfxbfDOD9pfd6lYkuQN6CDoI6uxI54iVkO6kwmxlC1h5uY2dk2VLeK9IOMLvvNzi4bH3n-Vzmsc_NVt3redPAqo30zjMxFhr3qtSGa7Sr1pUZqz3w.jpg

NETFLIX

Brilliant
I watched this and have enjoyed the 1st installment so far. I also noticed in the opening credits the following: “Executive Producer Barack and Michelle Obama.” I’d like to learn more about that little factoid. And I still have no idea how to pronounce “Siobhan.” I’m learning towards the obvious SEE-oh-BONN but doubt that’s correct.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The Blood of Zeus is quote good and an interesting retelling of Greek mythology.
Yes. It is very well written, and the voice actors and actresses are outstanding. I assume that it must be an expensive to produce since is a high-caliber show. Season 2 is now playing but only a few episodes.

Soul Land on the other hand has a great number of episodes. I am guessing that it has somewhere from 250 to 300 episodes (?).

Thank you for sharing the webpage above (My last War).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.