Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Returned them due to poor fit and ear pain. Opted for Bose 700 headphones and couldn't be more pleased. Absolutely the most comfortable to my ears, but the biggest factor for me beyond the ear pain was the call quality. The call quality on the APP is just decent, if not below average. Call quality on the Bose 700 is just outstanding and for me that was the key.

I did the same due to poor fit, how good are the 700, I got $75 off here so were only $120 more than the pro's. I had the QC35 till a few months ago, the 700 are way better.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Apparently my right ear loop is defective ?

My right AirPod kept falling off while working out every single gym session. Didn’t have an issue with my original ones. Returned them and now back to normal.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I think I am returning mine.
I can't get a good seal on my right ear no matter what size I choose.
When I get a seal, 2 minutes later it feels like it is about to fall out again.
That is more a problem with me being incompatible with most in ear headphones.
But at the price point, I can't rationalize it.
At $100, these would be a slam dunk.
They feel like $100-150 headphones.
My other issue is the sound quality, it is better but not as much as I expected. Even worse, I seem to have to crank them up to 90% volume which you shouldn't need to do with ANC.
A great product, but not for me.
I'm going back to my version 1 with foam covers.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think I am returning mine.
I can't get a good seal on my right ear no matter what size I choose.
When I get a seal, 2 minutes later it feels like it is about to fall out again.
That is more a problem with me being incompatible with most in ear headphones.
But at the price point, I can't rationalize it.
At $100, these would be a slam dunk.
They feel like $100-150 headphones.
My other issue is the sound quality, it is better but not as much as I expected. Even worse, I seem to have to crank them up to 90% volume which you shouldn't need to do with ANC.
A great product, but not for me.
I'm going back to my version 1 with foam covers.
If you need to increase volume to 90% with ANC on you either have a defective set or you need to have your hearing checked. In reality though, I think they don’t fit you properly especially if they feel like their falling out. Mine fit my ears securely and never feel loose under any conditions. I use the large tips. You probably should return them.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Why did you repurchase them? Just curious.
Went back to my AirPods as didn’t feel the difference was worth the added cost. After 1 day I realised I was wrong. The Much better fit and added noise cancelling / transparency feature made the original AirPods feel sub par in quality in comparison

Reactions: macdmc

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
I feel like they either work for you or don't just like the all previous models, they did not work for me at all. However these pros are amazing and so comfortable for me, love the different settings and having a great time with them love them!

Reactions: yui4

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
The APPs work great for me, they're comfortable, secure and sound good - they sound noticeably better than my OG AirPods and the ANC is really great.

The only concern I have is when running the tips work themselves out ever so slightly but enough to kill the seal, reducing both the ANC performance and sound quality. I have to periodically push them back in. I suspect it's not the tip size as much as the tip material/shape; the tips otherwise fit my ears perfectly, with excellent comfort and seal.

I have till Jan 8 to decide whether to keep them or not but I'm really hoping that a 3rd party comes out with foam tips for these.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
If you need to increase volume to 90% with ANC on you either have a defective set or you need to have your hearing checked. In reality though, I think they don’t fit you properly especially if they feel like their falling out. Mine fit my ears securely and never feel loose under any conditions. I use the large tips. You probably should return them.
I agree. I used to crank my Gen 1 and 2's up to max but with the Pro's, I never have to go above 50% as its plenty loud enough. It must be a defective set or just not fitted properly.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Light and comfortable with great ANC but super average sound quality for music. I also had the red explanation mark issue so I returned them to stick my Sony WF-1000XM3s. Sure they’re bigger in ear and in case but the sound quality is fantastic with great bass. I also prefer the finish over greasy white plastic.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Light and comfortable with great ANC but super average sound quality for music. I also had the red explanation mark issue so I returned them to stick my Sony WF-1000XM3s. Sure they’re bigger in ear and in case but the sound quality is fantastic with great bass. I also prefer the finish over greasy white plastic.
The Sony's sound much better no doubt but I had to return mine today due to the fit. Found them to be super uncomfortable no matter what tip I tried versus the APP that fit like a glove.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am returning what is my third set now. My first set had problems with the volume. With the second set, the case lid started to fall apart after 8 days and my third set arrived today and the right AirPod is not charging whatsoever. When they arrived, the right AirPod was down at 10% whilst the left AirPod was at 70%. I charged them up and the left AirPod charged all the way to 100% and the right AirPods is still stuck at 10%. I cleaned the charging points in the case and did a reset but still nothing.
I will call Apple tomorrow and log a complaint and see what they say. Based on my experiences, the build quality of these devices is appalling.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I actually repurchased the APP and for now am leaning towards keeping them. I'm still not really happy with their SQ but they are very comfortable and I need a pair of TW that will fit in my front pocket. Still have some time to make a final decision.

Two Stacks

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
New Orleans
I returned them because in my left ear, it was painful. My right ear felt like nothing was there. Current plan is to buy a new pair of gen 2s once I suspect they're going to discontinue them.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I returned them because in my left it, it was painful. My right ear felt like nothing was there. Current plan is to buy a new pair of gen 2s once I suspect they're going to discontinue them.

I don't think Gen 2's are anywhere close to being discontinued.

APP's are absolutely *not* going to be the only AirPods moving forward. The price point and in-ear style of them are far too restrictive to be the only version they offer.

Reactions: eagleglen

automan98

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
I decided to keep them, but that being said, I'm having a lot of issues with the device not switching between the various modes (e.g. noise cancel, normal, and trans.) correctly. I also have issues with the device "locking" on one of the modes and not responding to switching to different modes. And yes....I'm running the latest firmware on the AirPods. The canceling for a device this size is great.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I decided to keep them, but that being said, I'm having a lot of issues with the device not switching between the various modes (e.g. noise cancel, normal, and trans.) correctly. I also have issues with the device "locking" on one of the modes and not responding to switching to different modes. And yes....I'm running the latest firmware on the AirPods. The canceling for a device this size is great.
Your watch is defective. Return it if you still can. Mine works perfectly every time.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I'm returning mine because the case doesn't close all the way and causes battery problems. I don't think I'll get another pair. They hurt my ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.