Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wkearney99

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
Bethesda, MD USA
My DD is a Chopard Mille Miglia. Can't beat the light weight, rounded bezel (doesn't snag on clothes) and size. It's much friendlier to wear with casual clothes than my Submariner (larger, chunkier, heavier).

My only complaint is the machine-turned face and hands are sometimes hard to distinguish from each other. If I were getting a new one I'd probably get one with a black face instead.

Attachments

• chopard mille miglia.jpg
    chopard mille miglia.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 366

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
My DD is a Chopard Mille Miglia. Can't beat the light weight, rounded bezel (doesn't snag on clothes) and size. It's much friendlier to wear with casual clothes than my Submariner (larger, chunkier, heavier).

My only complaint is the machine-turned face and hands are sometimes hard to distinguish from each other. If I were getting a new one I'd probably get one with a black face instead.
Sure you could not have centred the Porsche logo a bit more ;) Nice watch!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks!

I agree, I was also happy to find an older build with the ETA 2834-2 movement. Hamilton switched out to the in house modified H40 movement sometime through production. The H40 took the watch from 38 hour power reserve to 80 hour but it also took frequency down to 21,600 bph where as the ETA runs at 28,800 bph. I'd rather have the smoother sweep over the longer reserve and any watch shop can work on the standard ETA movement.

Last I tracked it, it was running about +1.5s on accuracy. I stopped tracking though because it just become another obsession, now I just wear it.
Yeah, I have no idea how accurate my seamaster is. I don't even look. It's accurate enough.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
It's hard to argue Seiko isn't the best all-around watch brand. Without Seiko, so many watch advancements wouldn't have happened (we can forgive them for quartz).
[automerge]1587909012[/automerge]
Bought this for my dad for his 60th. Absolutely stunning watch. Haven't given it to him yet.

View attachment 909474
Nice!! I have the same model with the silver link bracelet. The leather looks great as well. The present should be well received.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Nice!! I have the same model with the silver link bracelet. The leather looks great as well. The present should be well received.
Yeah, he doesn't have expensive taste, so I was between Hamilton and Seiko. He has Seikos.

I can also sell that Hamilton is kind of and American company (hasn't been since the 60s). He's not really an "America first" guy, but he'll appreciate it nonetheless.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Yeah, he doesn't have expensive taste, so I was between Hamilton and Seiko. He has Seikos.

I can also sell that Hamilton is kind of and American company (hasn't been since the 60s). He's not really an "America first" guy, but he'll appreciate it nonetheless.
Well, I am a Canadian living in Finland and bought this watch on vacation in Italy last year so it crosses all borders! Hope he enjoys it. I am one year older than your dad so same demographic so you should be ok.

Reactions: AustinIllini

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Seiko is definitely the best all-around watch brand for any price.

Really? I like them as a good bang for the buck, and a good value most of the time, but the best all-around for any price? Hmmmm. Nope.

(I have SKX007, SKX009, SKX173, Blue Lagoon Turtle, PADI Turtle, Waffle Dial Turtle, Solar PADI Tuna, and Astron GPS with chronograph, love them all, but not the best.)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Really? I like them as a good bang for the buck, and a good value most of the time, but the best all-around for any price? Hmmmm. Nope.

(I have SKX007, SKX009, SKX173, Blue Lagoon Turtle, PADI Turtle, Waffle Dial Turtle, Solar PADI Tuna, and Astron GPS with chronograph, love them all, but not the best.)
Which watch brand is all-around better?

What other brand has a best in class watch in every price category? Seiko and Swatch Group. That's really it.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Which watch brand is all-around better?

What other brand has a best in class watch in every price category? Seiko and Swatch Group. That's really it.

(1) Which watch brand is all-around better?

Your initial statement was too general to be supported. You said, "Seiko is definitely the best all-around watch brand for any price." With that statement you opened up the competition to watches of any cost to compete with a low to mid-range Japanese watch company. Like I said before, Seiko is a great bang for the buck.

If you had said, "Seiko is definitely the best all-around watch brand for the money, I'm pretty sure I would have never said anything contradictory - doing that would have offered nothing to the forum.

I'm not writing this to be argumentative - there are subjective reasons and objective reasons why one might be better or worse, but clearly and objectively the level of finish and materials on a non-Grand Seiko watch, in the movement, case, dial and hands, will not be all-around better at any price than a good number of Swiss and German made watch brands.

Neither question that you posed here limits us to just budget priced brands, so we could go sky high (you said at any price). Any of my Omega Speedmaster and Seamaster Watches, or any of my Rolex Watches are all-around better. And, many tens of dozens of other watch brands out there may also be all-around better. But more often than not, not at the same price as Seiko.

(2) What other brand has a best in class watch in every price category? Seiko and Swatch Group. That's really it.

First you said "for any price", and now you want me to list every best-in-class watch in every price category that beats Seiko? Sorry, but I don't get paid enough or have enough time to compile that list :p

And by "better" are you talking about build quality, reliability, materials, accuracy, aesthetics, price, features, performance, serviceability, durability, warranty, battery life, etc?

Just looking at categories, when it comes to Seiko Solar Powered watches many of my Citizen watches are as good or better for a similar price (although my Astron's price was astonomical vs my SKX and Turtle models). When it comes to quartz watches many of my TAG, Luminox or Victorinox are as good or better. When it comes to automatic winders, my Victorinox Dive Master 500 and Hamilton GMT are better in finish, materials, and quality, other than worse lume than my Seiko Divers.

But, if you want clear proof of which is better or worse, that would require a massive research project and you're barking up the wrong tree (me), and maybe even playing in the wrong backyard (this forum). I know that Omega Forums has a pretty big fanbase for Seiko watches, and they are a well respected brand for doing what they do at the price they can do it.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
PS: BUILD QUALITY or RELIABILITY: My PADI Turtle had a defective movement and was not accurate to Seiko standards, and it was replaced under warranty. After that it lost only 11 seconds in 91 days of being on the wrist and winder. It runs between -1.3 sec/day and +1.8 sec/day which is as good as an Omega or Rolex, but the workmanship, finish and materials used are not on the same caliber at all.

My Prospex LE "Blue Lagoon" was produced around the same time as the PADI and it had the same movement failure, and after the movement was replaced under warranty it only gained 32 seconds in 25 days. Again, accuracy now pretty much as well as a Rolex or Omega, with a lesser build quality and lower price to match.

None of my Omegas or Rolex watches have had a movement failure or need warranty repair work.

ACCURACY: My SKX009 is from 1996 and has been serviced a few times and runs well, but only within 10-20 seconds/day. My SKX173 was running 30+ sec/day off when I bought it, and it had to be regulated several times to get it to within 10-20 seconds/day - the standard at which Seiko says they should operate. But all of my Omega and Rolex watches are running within COSC specs, and most are within 1-2 sec/day when operating. My 7 yr old Omega Moonwatch was serviced last August and in the past 6 weeks (42 days) has only gained 3.18 sec/day in that time on the wrist. My Rolex Hulk is running like a quartz watch at -0.2 sec/day. My Pepsi GMT II runs +0.5 sec/day. My Rolex Sea Dweller gains 0.8 sec/day.

QUARTZ performance: My Seiko PADI solar gains about 0.3 sec/day and most of my Citizen Solar watches gain about 0.2 sec/day. My TAG Red Bull F1 Chronograph runs +0.17 sec/day for a 62 second a year gain, vs a 110 second/yr gain with my PADI Solar quartz. My Bulova Apollo 15 quartz gains 10 sec/yr. My Omega X-33 gains 5.1 sec/yr, and my Grand Seiko diver gains 3.8 sec/yr.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
PS: BUILD QUALITY or RELIABILITY: My PADI Turtle had a defective movement and was not accurate to Seiko standards, and it was replaced under warranty. After that it lost only 11 seconds in 91 days of being on the wrist and winder. It runs between -1.3 sec/day and +1.8 sec/day which is as good as an Omega or Rolex, but the workmanship, finish and materials used are not on the same caliber at all.

My Prospex LE "Blue Lagoon" was produced around the same time as the PADI and it had the same movement failure, and after the movement was replaced under warranty it only gained 32 seconds in 25 days. Again, accuracy now pretty much as well as a Rolex or Omega, with a lesser build quality and lower price to match.

None of my Omegas or Rolex watches have had a movement failure or need warranty repair work.

ACCURACY: My SKX009 is from 1996 and has been serviced a few times and runs well, but only within 10-20 seconds/day. My SKX173 was running 30+ sec/day off when I bought it, and it had to be regulated several times to get it to within 10-20 seconds/day - the standard at which Seiko says they should operate. But all of my Omega and Rolex watches are running within COSC specs, and most are within 1-2 sec/day when operating. My 7 yr old Omega Moonwatch was serviced last August and in the past 6 weeks (42 days) has only gained 3.18 sec/day in that time on the wrist. My Rolex Hulk is running like a quartz watch at -0.2 sec/day. My Pepsi GMT II runs +0.5 sec/day. My Rolex Sea Dweller gains 0.8 sec/day.

QUARTZ performance: My Seiko PADI solar gains about 0.3 sec/day and most of my Citizen Solar watches gain about 0.2 sec/day. My TAG Red Bull F1 Chronograph runs +0.17 sec/day for a 62 second a year gain, vs a 110 second/yr gain with my PADI Solar quartz. My Bulova Apollo 15 quartz gains 10 sec/yr. My Omega X-33 gains 5.1 sec/yr, and my Grand Seiko diver gains 3.8 sec/yr.
Two questions from a non-expert: How do you measure these gains/losses? Why do all your watches gain time except one which loses?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Picked up a new Seiko SARB035 last week, really pleased with it so far.

View attachment 922456

That’s a stunning watch, lovely weight to it too. Enjoy!

I have the SARB033 and had it about 5 years now. One of my favourites to be honest.
832a7fe97bd2dd0c18dc02ffff5d46bb.jpg

Two beautiful watches, or, rather, beautiful to my eyes, as that is the understated aesthetic - that classic 50s-60s appearance, dauphine hands, unadorned face - that I love.

Well wear, both of you.
My Danish (Swiss made) royal life guards watch.

View attachment 930832

Very impressive; well wear.

Johnontheweb

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2017
Arcachon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.