Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Fascinating story, and well wear.

It looks gorgeous, and has a surprisingly modern look; Omega were using dauphine hands well into the late 60s, - and I love dauphine hands - my Omega has them - but yours is a lovely, clean, modern classic.

To be honest, I don't like the bloated monsters - some of which also look a bit to 'bling bling' for my test - that are currently fashionable. My personal very marked preference is for those classic, clean, elegant, understated lines the one found - finds - in 50s and 60s watches made by Omega and Rolex (among others).

Anyway, it is gorgeous, and thanks for sharing; long may you continue to wear it and derive pleasure from it.

Interesting comment about bloated monsters, and 'bling bling' which I can generally agree with.
As an example I wouldn't wear a Daytona or any solid gold watch even if given to me, although keeping as an investment would make me think twice. ;) However for those who love those type of watches, that's fine if they give true enjoyment. In fact I'm wondering whether 'maturing with age' may be a factor, as years ago I looked upon the Daytona as the watch to die for.......
Back to perceived bloated monsters. I recall watch-shopping a few years ago in Beruit, Lebanon where I was assisting Middle East Airlines with entry into service of their new Airbus fleet.
In one watch store down-town, the guy opened an old, very dusty drawer and pulled out an Omega carefully wrapped in paper. Asked me to try it on, which I did. It was a new Speedmaster Moonwatch, although at the time I new little about Omegas and certainly nothing about Speedy Moonwatches. It was on an original metal bracelet which felt heavy and I found it somewhat bulky, so declined the offer to purchase although it was within my budget. I often think back to that day, and knowing what I do now, wonder what exact model and year it was, and if I turned down a potential Holy-Grail Speedmaster! Fast forward a few years and now far more knowledgeable on the models, I've been able to acquire Moonwatches with the cal. 861 and the 'must' highly sought-after ST 105.012 'pre-moon' cal. 321. Obviously I no longer find them heavy or particularly bulky, but comfortable and a sheer joy to wear. I've provided photos of these previously, (ref thread #3581 and #3604).
What is bulky and gets very rare wrist time is my Omega SpeedMaster 125, introduced in 1973 as the world's 1st chronometer-certified automatic chronograph. Ok I admit, it's a 'bloated monster', albeit a delightful one!
I must get around to posting a few photos of this amazing watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I like to purchase a watch inside-out. I.e First by checking out if the movement is well-proven, then if the case, the watch face and the watch in general looks pleasing, subject to my butget I'll buy it - regardless of whether it has mineral glass or not.
Believe me you are passing by a number of fine, highly regarded watches by disregarding Hardlex or other mineral crystals. And a clear vinyl cut to size will protect any crystal for those who fear scratches.
I go back and forth on that. Depends on the budget. My Hamilton has a modified ETA but I spent $300 on it.

I agree though, as prices go up, I want in-house movements. I'm glad Tudor doesn't use ETAs anymore.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
For some time now I've been after a Seiko SKX007, preferably with box & papers, but unable to find a good one.
Have located however a very nice, fully complete SKX009 (which is the Pepsi version) which should arrive next week, and I'm quite excited. I'll post a few pictures when available.
I'd be interested to see if folks here have either model (bog standard or modded with a 4r36 or 6r15 movement), and their general findings/experience, with photos if possible.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
My latest watch, a Casio G-Shock GW-3500B-1AER. I'm not usually a fan of the bigger G-Shocks and, in fact, I think some of them look abysmal. However, I do like the look of this one and managed to get myself one on eBay.

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
For some time now I've been after a Seiko SKX007, preferably with box & papers, but unable to find a good one.
Have located however a very nice, fully complete SKX009 (which is the Pepsi version) which should arrive next week, and I'm quite excited. I'll post a few pictures when available.
I'd be interested to see if folks here have either model (bog standard or modded with a 4r36 or 6r15 movement), and their general findings/experience, with photos if possible.

I’ve got both and they are great watches. I’ve never modded mine though as I like the OEM look. If you were planning to mod yours, would it matter if the watch came with papers?

Mine btw:

aa15f407149c1db34714380f40663a3b.jpg

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I’ve got both and they are great watches. I’ve never modded mine though as I like the OEM look. If you were planning to mod yours, would it matter if the watch came with papers?

Mine btw:

aa15f407149c1db34714380f40663a3b.jpg
A very nice pair of very collectable Seikos. Did you buy them from new? Do you have a preference?

A very good question you pose about eventual mods and in this case if original papers are really necessary. For myself, yes. Because if all original parts are retained after modding (as I would plan to do) they could always be refitted by a future owner if necessary.
To relate this to a very collectable Apple computer, a few months back I converted a G4 Cube into an Intel machine with a Mac Mini inside and now running Mojave beautifully. The last thing I wanted to do was 'butcher' the Cube , so the innards were lifted out, (a 5 second task), and a few minor components inside carefully removed and retained in a safe place together with their fittings. End result, a 'modern' G4 Cube which makes a great centre piece for discussions, and obvious enjoyment. And if and when necessary the G4 Cube can be easily restored to it's former 2000/2001 vintage, collectable glory.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A very nice pair of very collectable Seikos. Did you buy them from new? Do you have a preference?

A very good question you pose about eventual mods and in this case if original papers are really necessary. For myself, yes. Because if all original parts are retained after modding (as I would plan to do) they could always be refitted by a future owner if necessary.
To relate this to a very collectable Apple computer, a few months back I converted a G4 Cube into an Intel machine with a Mac Mini inside and now running Mojave beautifully. The last thing I wanted to do was 'butcher' the Cube , so the innards were lifted out, (a 5 second task), and a few minor components inside carefully removed and retained in a safe place together with their fittings. End result, a 'modern' G4 Cube which makes a great centre piece for discussions, and obvious enjoyment. And if and when necessary the G4 Cube can be easily restored to it's former 2000/2001 vintage collectable glory.

Yes I bought both new in around 2012/13 from creation watches. I just checked to see if they were still going and I am shocked to see the 007 and 009 have both doubled in price on there. I paid £110 each for these but I think I read somewhere this design has been discontinued? I could be wrong.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Yes I bought both new in around 2012/13 from creation watches. I just checked to see if they were still going and I am shocked to see the 007 and 009 have both doubled in price on there. I paid £110 each for these but I think I read somewhere this design has been discontinued? I could be wrong.
That was an excellent price and purchase in 2012/13.
There's still a lot of debate on exactly when production ceased on both these models, but I believe both disappeared from Seiko's catalogue in 2018. There were still many in stock at that time and new ones now - although getting more difficult to find - can still be located. And I'm still looking........

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
I love the one on the right, a Sub I believe. And the DateJust? on the left.

Yeah its a DateJust jubilee, white gold fluted, blue dial with batons, lovely and easily my more daily watch. Then the steel and gold Daytona, black dial diamond. The 'Batgirl' GMT II, jubilee band, my newest and right now, im all about it!

Well wear.

Must say that I love the Datejust.

Its just so easy to wear with anything and because its smaller its the 36mm its way more lowkey and less flashy.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
This my Nixon "Ticket" yes it is a nixon who is known for watchs and stuff that are aimed at skaters and surfers and such but they also have an awsome line of very nice watches including a kinetic energy watch (just like a rolex!) that has no batteries and uses swiss movements and the motion of your arm moving to keep it running...but this watch of mine is the "Ticket" and it has full swiss movements and is beautiful it runs about $200
attachment.php

I love Nixon. The thing is, the company has a consistent aesthetic when they design their watches, and that's good. They don't sell high-end time pieces but they do something better -- they make watches look like Nixon watches and not anything else. So it should be.

Reactions: Kataran

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I haven't read the whole thread, but I haven't seen any micro brands represented. Here's my Helm Komodo.

Attachments

• 20200909_082906.jpg
    20200909_082906.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 253
Reactions: Miat and bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.