Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why are you buying Ipad Pro?

• Total voters

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Coming from an iPad 3, I'm looking forward to this upgrade. It will be the most powerful iPad I can get, so it has a natural appeal because of that.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
but that goes for all idevices. this also completely vexes me too. why cant we have a simple, fuss-free method of file transfer, even if there's no proper file system in place? (ie, something like usb). and no the Pro is around files will be even bigger.

personally, i'm going to make most of icloud and dropbox.

Welcome to 2015 ;-)
I'm gonna use the iPad pro for illustration work mainly and any other design work it will eventually be able to handle.

Reactions: sjleworthy

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Price I think will be the factor for many people here. If it's 128GB is over £800 then it will be tough for people to part with their cash. I think of you buy the pencil and keyboard you will be looking out over a grand I think

I agree. My problem is 32GB is not enough storage for me. I have 32GB on my iPad mini 2 and am constantly running out of space. If they had 64GB for the $799 price I would buy one for sure but I just have a hard time justifying $999 for the 128.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Why are you buying an ipad pro? Not what are you using it for...

... Yes, it's 1st gen, but these days a 1st gen like this is still an awesome beast.
#1 reason : it is much bigger and thus easier to use when reading document or browsing the web, etc.

Other reasons are--the pencil, the speed, the speakers, and the hope that this iOS and following iOSes will bring greater function and more software suites jumping over to iOS. The iPad Pro will replace the iPad Air I own. Well, not replace, but join. I can use these as control surfaces for various OS X programs.

1st Gen--though people look at the iPad Pro as a "first generation", it really isn't. It is just a slightly expanded iPad, like the iPad Air was to the iPad. Apple's 1st Gen disaster problem tends to occur when they revamp everything in design and processors and OS, etc. iPhone 1, iPad 1, iPod 1, iPod Nano 1, iPod Touch 1, iWatch 1, MacPro when it went to Intel, etc., are all 1st Gen. This Pro iPad is just a variation of an iPad, but with a different bit added onto its name.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
1st Gen--though people look at the iPad Pro as a "first generation", it really isn't. It is just a slightly expanded iPad, like the iPad Air was to the iPad. Apple's 1st Gen disaster problem tends to occur when they revamp everything in design and processors and OS, etc. iPhone 1, iPad 1, iPod 1, iPod Nano 1, iPod Touch 1, iWatch 1, MacPro when it went to Intel, etc., are all 1st Gen. This Pro iPad is just a variation of an iPad, but with a different bit added onto its name.

i completely agree.

it is 1st gen of course, but it isnt the same kind of 1st gen as was previous. although, i'd not say those other 1st gen devises you mention we 'disasters'. far from it.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Here's a good article on why the Pro will not replace your regular desktop (or laptop):

http://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/...-mark-in-its-attempt-to-replace-your-desktop/

This article unfortunately is attacking a bit of a straw man. It is attacking an idea slightly different from what people are actually planning, just different enough that it misses what these people are doing. And it's showing that people's computing experiences are starting to get diverse enough that some people simply cannot fully get what other people are using computers for, and how they get things done.

Take my case. At work, a MBP isn't terribly interesting because it isn't powerful enough to get real work done. I see people try using VNC and the like, and it does the trick in a pinch, but it just isn't a long term solution. And if we are using VNC, you don't need a MBP to do that, really. So what I'm left with is a desire for an ultraportable that I can use during meetings and the like for notes, reference, task management and email. Something I already do on iOS today.

At home, our iMac is in the living room, accessible. If I need power, I have that right there. In fact, I do use it for photo editing and the like (been paying for Lightroom and PS CC, but I'm actually thinking of ditching it for Affinity Photo and just managing my library manually). Long term storage is on a NAS I can access from iOS as well as the desktop. But with both a nice tablet, and an iMac within easy reach, there really isn't much point in having the laptop there either.

When I'm on the road, I don't want to do heavy lifting. Because I'm either on vacation, or I'm there to work with people. But what I do want is an ultraportable that I can use for reference, notes, communication, task management, and entertainment in my off hours. Split view and the larger screen make the Pro an interesting tablet for that use case. Especially once I can split screen a couple specific apps I'm still waiting on.

EDIT: I'll add though that if folks like Adobe want to make more powerful versions of PS and Lightroom available so I can do more on the road, I'll not say no. I actually hope that Affinity Photo makes it to iOS like they've said in their long term plans. But these for me are currently nice-to-haves, and not critical things. I can wait to get to my iMac to do heavy image editing, etc. About the only use case I *need* a laptop for is some forms of Astrophotography, since the software to control certain bits of hardware relies on Mac/Windows drivers, and can't be done over BT/WiFi yet. (Although I might be able to make a Raspberry Pi do the work... interesting...)

Last edited:
Reactions: JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
No no everyone. Sitting at a desk, mouse and keyboard thats the only way to use a computing device. Didn't you guys see the surface? It's SO successful because its a touchscreen that's managed to bring people back to their desks and keyboards and mice and upright posture on stools and colors arranged in 4 squares. You know, the Windows store in the mall lol.

I enjoy having my iPad Air 2 in my hands while in bed to catch up on the latest show or type up a quick email. That's more endearing and that's what will matter come upgrade time.

I'm glad some people were able to replace their work laptop with what amounts to basically another work laptop albeit a more expensive, power-gimped work laptop with a touch screen. Let me know if there's any good games on that guy aside from the demos Intel gives you.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
This article unfortunately is attacking a bit of a straw man. It is attacking an idea slightly different from what people are actually planning, just different enough that it misses what these people are doing. And it's showing that people's computing experiences are starting to get diverse enough that some people simply cannot fully get what other people are using computers for, and how they get things done.

Yup.

Can the ipp replace a laptop? Per se? Probably not. Yet anyway.
Can the ipp replace your laptop? Of course it can. How subjective can one get?

Personally, i don't own any laptops.

I use pc's in work. No alternative. Wouldnt expect any different. Even regular/powerful laptops cant get a look in.
But for more private/personal work (fee earning work at that) then absolutely, ipp will pay it's way side by side with my pc's, both in an admin, comms and creative direction.

And who's to tell me different?

Reactions: Ciclismo

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Apple Pencil + annotating PDFs and taking notes.

Plus having the 6+, my iPad mini is in an awkward place. I love the new iOS 9 multitasking changes and think they are better suited to the pro. The iPad Air still feels a little cramped in split screen

Ditto. But with mini, it's the best quick pickup and head out device when you don't have to use a big screen or for bedside or relaxing at home casual reading. I currently use it for all out productivity (Mini 4) but it is a bit small especially with split screen.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
On Apples influence alone they'll sell these. It doesn't matter how many either. Apples expertise at spinning the story trumps every other company. Along with massive revenue and world class marketing, the product itself no longer matters as long as the shiny Apple Logo remains. :D

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Meh, pointless discussion. I have better things to do, than this. I just shared my opinion, which sometimes can be negative.

The exact way you're behaving right now, is the reason, why we're called iSheeps.

Blindly supporting every Apple's product, even though, these particular 2 aren't that great YET, but it will hopefully change in the future.

I'm not campaigning for these products.
Just critiquing those who are campaigning against them.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
My understanding of a handheld device is the screen is smaller because you hold it closer. I must be missing something here.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
My understanding of a handheld device is the screen is smaller because you hold it closer. I must be missing something here.

Personal preference.

Go to the movies and some love to sit in the front row, to be close and feel immersed by the film.

Others want to sit right at the back.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA

There's a comfortable distance based on your eyesight. You young whippersnappers with your healthy eyes can see things at any distance. But we old fogies with our farsighted eyes can't see things held too close. If I'm sitting in a chair or in bed while reading, I'm wearing my reading glasses, and those determine the most comfortable distance for the book or tablet or Kindle. A bigger screen held at a comfortable distance is better than a smaller one held too close.

Some guy once disparaged my Kindle, saying he could read books on his phone. There's no way I could read a book on a phone. The iPad Mini is the smallest thing I can read on, and the Kindle DX is better. For me, the iPad Pro (if it's not too heavy) will be a big improvement over the Air for video.

Squozen

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
I'm coming from an iPad 4 and my eyes aren't getting any better, so I'm hoping a larger screen will help me out.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
same dpi, so everything will be the same size just 3" more space

I'm assuming that for many applications, such as streaming video or the Kindle app, we'll get the same image, but bigger. There may be applications where the image is the same size but more content is shown, but in those cases we'll always be able to zoom, giving us a bigger image.

So, yes, for us old fogies with weakening eyes the bigger size will be an improvement. I have a Mini 1 and an Air 1. The Mini 1 does not have the retina screen, so the Air has more pixels and a bigger screen (same relationship as between the Air and the Pro) and the Air is much easier on my eyes than is the Mini for web browsing. For the Kindle app I can set the font size the same in both, but I get more words on the page with the Air if I do that. Actually, for the Kindle app, the Mini is nicer than the Air because it's easier to hold, but for streaming video the Air is much nicer than the Mini. I expect the same kind of differences and similarities going from the Air to the Pro.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
One reason is curiosity- i'm just curious. I'm curious about this new 'true' splitscreen. I've tried this on Android and now the Air, and hate it (they are very similar BTW), but Pro supposedly is different. Then there's the pen, and the speakers.

Everything else is fairly predictable. True, you can try them out in a store, but that will only make me want one more :D. But with the excellent resale value, I can comfortably take this thing for a test drive.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
What's Apple's return policy? Is there a time period when you can return a device no-questions-asked?

I assume like many places there will be an extension for returning cause this time of year the possibility arises that some purchases will be made for a gift to someone. If they don't do that then they subject themselves to losing a sale to another retailer that does offer an extension (ie. Best Buy).

Best Buy usually starts that up around mid November, it usually extends till mid January.

Reactions: bizzy045

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
I assume like many places there will be an extension for returning cause this time of year the possibility arises that some purchases will be made for a gift to someone. If they don't do that then they subject themselves to losing a sale to another retailer that does offer an extension (ie. Best Buy).

Best Buy usually starts that up around mid November, it usually extends till mid January.

I found the answer to my question on the Apple web site. They have a standard 14-day return policy. Meaning you can play with the device and return it if you don't like it. I didn't see any mention of an extension at holiday time, but I don't expect to need that, so whether or not, it's about the same to me. 14 days will be enough for me. There are some exceptions for software, but that does not affect gadgets. And Apple will not be responsible for the costs of canceling any wireless contracts, but I don't buy the wireless version. I have a Mi-Fi Jetpack instead, so I don't need a separate wireless contract for each tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.